Monday, July 2, 2012

I learned a new word this weekend.....


"Derecho".

"Derecho (a Spanish word pronounced similar to "deh-REY-cho" in English) is a widespread, long-lived wind storm that is associated with a band of rapidly moving showers or thunderstorms.  Although a derecho can produce destruction similar to that of tornadoes, the damage typically is directed in one direction along a relatively straight swath. As a result, the term "straight-line wind damage" sometimes is used to describe derecho damage. By definition, if the wind damage swath extends more than 240 miles (about 400 kilometers) and includes wind gusts of at least 58 mph (93 km/h) or greater along most of its length, then the event may be classified as a derecho."

I read the above information on this page, and you can read more if you click on the link. I have never heard of a derecho before.  One came through our area last Friday and left a lot of devastation in its path, trees fell on houses and cars and 800,000 in the Washington DC metropolitan area were out of electricity. Sadly there were also fatalities. We're having 100 degree plus temperatures and people are being warned about the dangers of heat stroke. There was no phone service and many were worried about being unable to call for emergency services if they needed them.

We are supposed to have more thunderstorms heading our way, though they are not expected as bad as the last one. It will hamper those hard-working heroes from the electric company trying to get everyone's services back to normal though.  Our electricity was out for several hours but it came back on late yesterday afternoon. Even though we were not able to use our phones for some strange reason we could text, and when our son found out we had no power, he invited us over.  Daughter-in-law missed all this because she is away on a course.

20 comments:

Daniel LaFrance said...

I trust you have what is needed for a few days.

Just goes to show how dependent we're on electricity. Thankfully it's not a winter.

I hope all affected find there way through this difficult time.

Kay said...

I'm so glad you got power back and that you're alright. I'm hoping that's the last of the bad storms this year.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, I am glad your power is back. It is a new word for me also. Maryland was hit hard, many people lost their power. Luckily we missed the bad part of the storm. I hope it cools off soon, it is so hot. Have a great week ahead.

Valerie said...

I didn't realise you were in that locality, Denise. We heard all about the terrible storms you were having, and the high temperatures. Hubs and I were saying how much people have come to rely on electricity. Hope everything goes well for you from now on. We, of course, have continuous rain and I'm really fed-up with it.

i beati said...

natural disasters are far worse than anything Hollywood can conjure-- love your flowers below

RoeH said...

I thought I'd heard it all when the word 'tornadic' came into vogue on the weather news. You're right. Now we have a new word to learn. :)

Jane and Chris said...

We become very comfortable in our cosy worlds, then WHAM! We are reminded that we are not in control. The power of nature is awesome.
Jane x

Barbara Rogers said...

Our world is having storms and fires and heat...it's good to connect with friends and relatives who can help each other out. Your flowers look gorgeous.

TexWisGirl said...

a very fierce weather system - in varying degrees - all across the country again.

Out on the prairie said...

I live in what they call tornado alley, but have seen these wind shears.One took a garden work bench and blew it into my neighbors yards shearing a small tree in its path.

grammie g said...

HI Denise....We take so much for granted, and when it is gone boy it is hard to take!!
I am glad that you had a place to go and that your power is back!!
My best friends daughter, and family live in Lynchburg Virginia. they have no power and it may be a week they where told so they went to Penn. where his parents live!!
Stay safe..
Grace

gigihawaii said...

I hate stormy weather and the destruction it can wreak. Glad you have power now. Take care!

Linda Gross said...

I have heard of straight-line wind before but had not heard it referred to as Derecho. You learn something new all the time!

I'm glad that you two are okay. We had a severe thunderstorm sometime last week, but nothing like the one that came through your are

ashok said...

great post as usual

Betsy from Tennessee said...

I've never heard that word either ---but those storms are HORRIBLE... As badly as we need rain here, I hope we don't have anything severe... Glad your electricity came back on quickly...

Prayers for those with damage and without electricity.
Hugs,
Betsy

Don said...

Hope you are all OK..I hope we dont get any.

We love LUNA said...

Dear Denise, it's an interesting word and thanks for all explanation!
Glad that everything is fine there!
I'm sending purrs and love to your heart,

Luna

Linda Reeder said...

We have been hearing about this storm, the damage and the aftermath. I hadn't heard of that term before. I guess we would call it a 'freak storm".
I know a lot of people are still suffering in the heat and destruction.

Denise said...

Lovely comments and thank you all for visiting.

Kathie Brown said...

Denise, I am so glad that you are okay! I was not even aware this had happened until I watched the news late Sunday night. I had never heard that word before today when they used it on the morning news. I can't imagine being in all that heat without any AC or running water or a cool thing to drink!