Wednesday, July 18, 2012

An old photo


This was taken on one of my weekend trips to see my sister and her husband in Worcestershire.  It was in 1973, a couple of years before I met Gregg. At the time my mom, dad and I were living in South Devon and I hadn't long become mobile. I had saved every penny I could to buy an old grey mini cooper. I loved that old car, it gave me wings and the freedom to visit my sister any time I wanted. The distance was 158 miles and for me back then it was like driving to the other side of the moon.

They also lived in a small village and they had farming friends down the road.  On my weekend visits we would often walk over to the farm for a chat and also to see the farm animals, which was an extra bonus. There were times when my sister and I would hop up on the back of the farmer friend's pick-up truck, drive over the fields and throw the hay out for the animals to feed.  That was always fun.

But I especially loved it when there was a new born lamb to be taken care of. The house they lived in had been in their family for about three hundred years. The kitchen had a huge walk in fireplace and a box would be placed near the fire filled with blankets, and in the box were the new lambs whose mothers, for one reason or another, were not able to take care of them.  I would often be given a bottle of milk to feed them and if I could have taken one home with me, I would have been a very happy girl. That never happened but I was content with the opportunity of taking care of these sweet little lambs as brief as they were, because before I knew it the weekend was over and I was heading south again.

21 comments:

Mamabug said...

Denise this is a wonderful post! What a precious photo of you holding the little lamb. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kay said...

This is so beautiful, Denise. And you were and are so beautiful. This picture could be made into a painting. Absolutely lovely!

Linda Reeder said...

That's a lovely photo.
I grew up on a small farm and we would raise 'bummer' lambs and runt pigs that we would get from other farmers. We kids hand fed them until they were too big to handle. They were fun when they were little, but they did end up as meat.

cloudia charters said...

what a lovely picture
of a very lovely woman!

You capture the time, and the freedom of a car. . . .



Thanks for an awesome post, D



Warm Aloha to you from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
<(-'.'-)>

> < } } ( ° >

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Awesome picture, Denise. LOVE it... Thanks for a great post today.
Hugs,
Betsy

i beati said...

I could look at photos all day easily

Out on the prairie said...

That hand feeding has always been a favorite of mine.a coworker came in and announced he had 6 days and 2 hours to go.We laughed how those years slip by so fast.I hear a young man still talking, it is my image in the mirror that reminds me how fast those years slipped by.

grammie g said...

Hi Denise...Precious post, full of great memories!!
Holding one of those sweet little lambs in your arms is a great feeling!!
I had a lamb that Mamma couldn't feed because she had triplets!! It was the runt, and I bottle feed it! It lived in the bath tub for a bit!: }
Thanks for sharing about this time in your life!!
Grace

Cezar and Léia said...

I agree, this is a precious post and the picture is magnificent, you are so gorgeous and I can feel the lovely heart that you have and the kindness for the animals.
I also love your hair in this picture.
Léia ;)

KaHolly said...

What a delightful read with my early morning cuppa!!

RoeH said...

Neat photo! And great post. I would love to live in a 300 year old house somewhere all hidden away from problems. Dream on, right? I used to get to feed the bum lambs and it is a wonderful memory.

Jane and Chris said...

What a precious memory, and that is a lovely photograph of you.
Jane x

diane b said...

How wonderful old photos are in jogging our memory and yours is a lovely story of love for your sister, for animals and the outdoors.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Fun to see the other sides of our lives, the present and the past. Thanks for sharing your trip down memory lane and all it took was a single photo.

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful post, the nice time nice story. I am greeting

gigihawaii said...

That's a pretty picture! I wonder about becoming too attached to the lambs, though. Weren't they destined for the butcher eventually? It must have been heartbreaking to part with them.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely memories, Denise. I would have loved to feed the lambs. I enjoy reading about your younger years. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Awesome story and pic. I love this post.

callie brady said...

Love the photo! And the story that goes with it is such a precious memory. Thank you!

Kathie Brown said...

I LOVE this photo and this story! I was 16 years old in 1973 and I loved farm animals too. I didn't see many sheep where I lived but I did know peoole who had goats, cows, chickens and horses. I fell in love with goat kids! Much later in life my husband and I moved out west where many ranchers did raise sheep. they would also collect the orphans and bring them inside the house to feed and raise them. It was then that I learned they called these orphans "bum lambs." Does anyone use that term in England?

Marie said...

I love your old photos and memories, Denise! You can share them ANYtime!