Monday, July 30, 2012

A Monday Morning Poem

"How I go to the woods"


Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone, with not a single
friend, for they are smilers and talkers and therefore
unsuitable.

I don't really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
or hugging the old black oak tree.  I have my way of
praying as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible.  I can sit
on top of the dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds,
until the foxes run by unconcerned.  I can hear the almost
unhearable sound of the roses singing.


If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love
you very much.

~Mary Oliver~

19 comments:

  1. i liked this very much. it reminded me of my sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love walking through the forest on my own and daydreaming, then I don't notice the hills I have to climb. I also like walking with friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness....I really could relate to this post and your prose. Well done.

    ~aka, Hootin' Anni
    thanks for visiting both my photography- bird- blog and my personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Singing roses, that's what I call poetry. I used to prefer my own company when I walked in the woods; well me and my dog, who never interrupted my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous photos that pick up the mood for the Mary Oliver poem...I love her poetry! THanks!
    Barb at Alchemy of Clay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I am the smiler and the talker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice choice, I always enjoy reading Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. Such a neat experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful poem. Thanks for your comment on my blog!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  10. some beautiful mysteries live in the woods, waiting for us to find and photograph them!!

    i always walk the woods with the hubs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic photographs, I love forest, I love such views. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Walking through the woods at any time is very lovely and the best times are when one can enjoy the beauty of nature in solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely poem, Denise. I love it! Your photos fit perfectly. Great post. Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, it is so nice to be alone in the woods, and yes, we do have our different ways of praying and daydreaming in peaceful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for all the lovely comments everyone.

    ReplyDelete