Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Washington DC

Last Sunday Gregg and I took a drive through Washington DC.  
We didn't take our normal route where we see all the usual famous landmarks, and it was really nice seeing a different part of the city.  We also drove through Bethesda, Maryland on our way home.


















Below is a very large green Adirondack chair on the grounds of The Duke Ellington School of the Arts.  The chair could have been used on the set of Gulliver's Travels.  You can't really tell by this photo but I would have had to get a ladder to climb up to the actual seat as it stands 14 feet tall.  It was built by Ellington students as part of an art project and installed on the National Mall in 1996.  A donor later funded needed repairs to the wood and built a concrete pedestal for the chair several years ago.  Ellington's art students repaint the chair every year, always in green.

We came across a group of demonstrators opposite what we took to be the Syrian Embassy.  We were in a bit of a traffic jam and heard them chanting protests as we drove by.

This building is still officially the Bethesda Naval Hospital but we think it will become the Walter Reed Military Hospital within the next year or so.

Of course I had to take a photo of this sign.

We also drove by the Washington Cathedral but this is all I could get as on this side there were a lot of trees blocking its view.



I liked the look of this Pizzeria but no, we didn't stop.  This was just a drive-a-long ride today.

16 comments:

  1. Leafy Victoriana. Nice series




    Have a GREAT Week

    Aloha from Waikiki,
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    > < } } (°>

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in that area since 1987. Time for another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! I imagine I'll be out your way in the next couple of years now that my son and his special lady will be going to Johns Hopkins and Georgetown for grad school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures, Denise. I particularly liked the fifth one, with those 'rounded rooms'. I always fancied living in a round house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. Love the little corner pizzeria.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend's grandson just graduated from that school!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. really pretty area with lots of history. i loved the stone church!

    green adirondack is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Denise,
    Another wonderful set of pictures.Washington DC is a place that I want to visit again someday.Thanks for sharing your pictures, they are great and a plus to the red door and green chair, two special images!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pizza on the veranda looks nice. I enjoyed your photos,the stone building looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks a very posh district there my friend, with great pics

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise, looks like the weather was perfect for driving and DC looked rather less hectic as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so neat, Denise. It's fun to see 'other' areas in and around Washington DC...

    I've been to the National Cathedral once --and loved it. Hope to go back sometime.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks. As someone from another country I really enjoyed a different view of that famous city.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice series, Denise. I have not visited this part of DC. I enjoyed the tour, thanks for sharing. Have a Happy Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed another look around DC.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had the opportunity (or better said, I have never taken the opportunity1) to visit our nation's capital. I certainly hope to be able to do that one of these days while I'm still able!

    ReplyDelete