Monday, June 4, 2012

Pretty church found in the Shenandoahs


On our way up to Skyline Drive last Saturday, we came across this small chapel on a hill.


We actually did a u-turn after we passed by as we were both eager to get to Skyline Drive, and yet we wanted to return for a closer look.


Gregg noticed the stain glass window at the back and took a photo.


The stonework was lovely.


As you can see, it was built in 1924.


This miniature school house is actually a playroom.  


It stands not too far from the entrance of the chapel.


Not too long after we were joined by a very nice lady who saw us from her house next door.  She came over to say hi and was probably curious as to what we were doing.  We introduced ourselves and talked with her for about 15 minutes and she told us a little of the history of the church.  I should have made a few notes as I have forgotten a lot of what she said, we saw so much by the end of that day.  I wrote down the name of a book she told us about and I will have to root through all the pamphlets I picked up as I placed the piece of paper in between them. The book will give all the information she had mentioned.  Gregg took a photo of the weather-vane on her roof where a bird had just flown off its perch.  He was trying to get a photo of the bird and got a pretty good shot as it disappeared out of the picture.


Part of the enjoyment of our road trips is meeting those very nice people along the way.

23 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

it's a really pretty place! glad she was friendly to you.

grammie g said...

Hi Denise...what a charming little church ...love stained glass windows in a church, come to think of it I don't think I know why they where originally done that way hmmm!!!
Adorable the little school house..and sweet folk too!!
Grace

Mamabug said...

What a beautiful little church; love the stained glass window too.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

What a fabulous little church, Denise. I love it!!! That was nice that you met the lady and that she gave you some history of the place..

Cute little school playhouse too...

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

cloudia charters said...

how pleasant!


Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
> < } } ( ° >

gigihawaii said...

I wonder how often that woman comes out of her home to chat with tourists like you. Lol.

Rose from Oz is Back! said...

Absolutely charming Denise, masterfully done in stone and I can just imagine that someone, somewhere would have photos of that chapel being built! Very pleased you stopped.

Valerie said...

I'm glad you did a u-turn, Denise. It would have been a sin to miss exploring that lovely church and learning it's history.

eileeninmd said...

Denise, it is a beautiful church. I enjoyed all the photos and the one of the weathervane with the bird. Great capture. Have a wonderful day.

Roy said...

Lovely church Denise, your new header looks very English.

Lois Evensen said...

How fun. Yes, we love meeting people along the way, too. The lady you met sounds very gracious. The stone church is beautiful.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Pretty little church. I love finds like that.

Jane and Chris said...

Absolutely beautiful!
Your header looks like the Engish countryside.
Jane x

Sue said...

I really like the red door ...very welcoming. Sue

Don't unplug your hub. said...

Shenandoah. I love that name.

imac said...

That chapel wasn't as old as I first thought.

Lovely shots and tip my hat to Gregg for capturing that window.

Out on the prairie said...

What a lovely building, I love the stonework

Janie said...

What a beautiful little church. It must have a fascinating history.

Marie said...

So lovely! You so rarely see a stone church, and the little chapel is charming.

Shaun_ShutterBug said...

what a quaint little church. I guess your lucky that the folks there are so accepting of strangers. !!!
Shaun
Valleys ShutterBug

Cezar and Léia said...

What a lovely temple!
God bless you!
Cezar

crystal said...

I just drove past this church last week and also stopped for photos. You can see my photos here
https://www.facebook.com/crystaljoyphotos

Betsy said...

A beautiful stone church. I must pay attention when I am in that area again. So pretty.
betsy