Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A little bird....



Hail to thee, blithe spirit!
Bird thou never wert,
That from Heaven, or near it,
Pourest thy full heart
In profuse strains of unpremeditated art.

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

~~~~~

When we were walking the Limberlost Trail last weekend we were continuously on the lookout for birds, but it was very hard to catch sight of them, now that all the leaves are on the trees.  I am certainly not moaning as those same trees looked absolutely glorious.  

We would occasionally see a flit and a fly, a shadow of some little shape on the wing.  All along our walk something would land but in the next breath would disappear out of sight, and yet their  melodious birdsong was everywhere.  We passed other people with binoculars on their neck and I bet they could identify each sound.

Did you know that Teddy Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States, was a birder?  As I read, he was devoted to natural history from childhood, particularly to birding and became an expert on identifying birds and their songs.  He kept detailed notes and descriptions about both in journals he kept in his youth.  It would have been nice to have Theodore on our walk with us, or at least his knowledge.

Gregg spotted the elusive bird and quickly took a photo, not really thinking he had actually caught it in his viewfinder.  So glad he did.  I'm thinking he is a Baltimore Oriole, what do you think?  Hard to tell I know.  I tried to crop the picture as close in as I could but am not sure.

Limberlost isn't too far from Big Meadows and we stopped there for lunch at the lodge.  The main dining room was closed but we made our way to the smaller restaurant on the lower level where we shared a sandwich and a salad.  On the way back to the car we popped into the gift shop as one of my friends had a birthday coming up and I thought it would be nice to buy her something from the area.  While I was in there the young lady behind the counter was keeping her eye on a chipmunk just outside the door.  Gregg had already gone outside and was busy trying to take its photo.  She said the chipmunk thought it was a regular customer and she often had to shoo it away because it had gotten inside a few times.   Obviously not as skittish as the ones we get at home.  She also said that she has had raccoons doing the same thing.  So they not only get the two legged customers, but also the four legged kind. As there was no air-conditioning the door was usually left wide open.  I said just as long as a bear didn't walk on in one day, at which she laughed.

It has been a lovely day today.  The temperature is around 61 degrees right now but I think it got up into the low 70s.  All the windows are wide open.  I popped up to the supermarket and later a friend stopped by for a bit of a chat.  Gregg just called and said he is on his way home, so I think I ought to get off here and start dinner.

Added note: Thanks to Eileen from Viewing Nature with Eileen, our bird is now identified as an American Redstart.   You can see and hear what he looks like if you click here.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Denise, Isn't the Limberlost trail wonderful? It is my favorite trail. I have had luck there with the birds low in the bushes and not way up high in the tree tops. Your bird is actually an American Redstart. They do have some of the colorings of the Orioles. I saw lost of the Redstarts on the same day as you did. We might have crossed paths along the drive somewhere. Great capture!

Cathy said...

Hello Denise
Thats the beauty of these new cameras - you can run off as amany clicks as you like and not worry too much if there's 'nothing there'.

I really enjoyed this post - thanks for sharing your day. He's a bright looking fella isn't he - I had a a look at the page you recommended and it seems like he's another of those males that out shines his lady friends lol

Take care
Cathy

Cathy @ Still Waters

Country Gal said...

From what I can tell this little birdy looks more like an Orchard Oriole . I did a post today of all the species of birds we get here in our back yard , ruffly 29 species. The Baltimore Oriole is more bright orange this little breed has more of a rust colour but it may not be either , as many places have different species . Either way sounds like a lovey time just walking and taking photos , I'm always up for that . I am some what of a birder myself and love to photograph them as well . Yes it is hard to capture them amongst the trees when all the leaves are there I think these birdies know that to lol . Awesome photo and post. Have a wonderful day !

Nellie said...

"Flit and fly." That seems to be all I see lately with a few chirps added just to mock me.
nellie

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Great bird picture, and glad that Eileen identified him for you!!!!!

I didn't know about Teddy Roosevelt being a birder... Isn't that neat??? Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

The Elephant's Child said...

You have changed your header since last I stopped by. I love it.
And the bird (and those glorious new leaves) was a delight as well. Thank you.

Out on the prairie said...

Always fun to sight something new.

Sunray Gardens said...

I see the little guy. How you managed to see it and then get a photo shows how much attention you pay when looking.

Cher Sunray Gardens

Valerie said...

That was a good capture for Gregg. Birdwatching is a wonderful hobby, hubs and I used to do a lot of it, both armed with binoculars. We were always thrilled to get a 'first' and would always note it in our books. I did a study of bird songs too which helped with identification if the sighting was poor. Happy days. Unfortunately we don't get so many birds these days. I wonder what we're doing to our planet, certainly the UK section.

ShySongbird said...

How lovely! As you say it is so difficult with the leaves on the trees...no complaints from me either though as it means it isn't Winter anymore although you could be forgiven for thinking it is here :-(

Very interesting about President Roosevelt, obviously a man of taste :-)

Denise said...

Thank you for the lovely comments everyone.

Kay said...

We're not true birders, but we love to look out for them when we're on trips. The only birds I'm not fond of at the moment are pigeons. That is a terrific shot that Gregg caught.