Friday, June 29, 2012

It's been a while, a food post

It's been a while since I shared a recipe.  With the coming of summer we've been having mostly non-oven type meals and a lot of salads.  I found this one at Kalyn's Kitchen and you can click on her link to go straight to her blog post.

Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Onions, Avocado and Balsamic Vinegar


3 small Persian cucumbers or garden cucumbers
1 cup diced tomato or cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion or thinly sliced sweet onion (or more)
1 avocado
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional, for tossing with avocado)
1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Cut cucumbers in thin slices.  I always peel mine but it's entirely up to you.  Dice tomatoes or cut cherry tomatoes in half to make one cup.  (Only make this salad when you know the tomatoes are at their best in taste.  I bought Roma grape tomatoes and they were delicious and sweet).  Add the sliced green onions or sliced sweet onion.  Peel and cut up the avocado into small cubes.

Combine the cucumber, tomato, onion and avocado in a plastic or glass bowl and gently toss together.  Add the tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.  Season to taste with your favorite sea salt and plenty of fresh-ground black pepper.

If you have any left-over salad and haven't already done so, toss the avocado with a few teaspoons of fresh lemon juice to stop it from going brown.  This is best when it is freshly made.

~~~~~

This was a delicious salad and one we will be having again.  I used an English/Hot-House Cucumber, also a White Wine Balsamic Vinegar as it was in the cupboard and I didn't want to go to the store just to buy the other.  I also had a sweet red pepper in the fridge, diced it up and threw it in.  I don't have sea salt and replaced it with Kosher.  My avocado was the last one I had and was tiny, so next time there will be a lot more avocado.  I had also tossed it before with the lemon juice and it gave it a nice tangy taste along with the balsamic vinegar.

13 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Love that salad in the summertime... My favorite cucumbers are those little pickling cukes.. They taste SO good....

Got some home-grown tomatoes this week --but they aren't very good. Guess I'll have to try again. I love home-grown ones in the summer...

Hugs,
Betsy

Lui said...

Hmmm yummy, Denise!

Valerie said...

I might have a go at that, Denise, but the weather needs to warm up first. We're still on winter type meals here. Just in case there's a change I've noted the recipe.

Out on the prairie said...

Sometimes in the summer simple is nice.

Jane and Chris said...

The simplest recipes are always the most tasty!
Jane x

jabblog said...

I love avocado - we often have it as a starter but just recently I've been adding it to our salads - delicious:-)

RoeH said...

I'm making that today. Looks so good.

Kalyn said...

So glad you enjoyed the salad. This is one of my favorites!

imac said...

Looks nice and fresh, did you know A tomato is a fruit.

Amish Stories said...

Looks refreshing with all of the heat that we are getting. Richard

Kay said...

Yum! This looks so fabulous and healthy too.

biglietti juventus said...

good post

traslation services from Arabic to Italian said...

nice