Thursday, May 3, 2012

Little bird....


Peek-A-Boo.....

I see you!

"I'm youth, I'm joy, I'm a little bird that has broken out of the egg."
~James Matthew Barrie~


I don't know who was more surprised, this little bird or me.  While at Mason Neck Park last weekend there were many nesting boxes in the area.  This one was near a bench we had been sitting on at the end of our walk.  Gregg and I were getting ready to leave and he was half way to our car when my curiosity once again took over and I hung back.  I wanted to see if there was any nesting material inside because after sitting a few minutes I saw no activity.  Not wanting to walk right up to the box I pointed my camera at it and zoomed in.  Yes, I could see some small twigs, yes there were signs of a nest.  Curiosity satisfied I was about to leave when suddenly this little head popped up.  I was so surprised it gave me a bit of a jolt.  In the viewfinder his head seemed as big as a bowling ball and he startled me so I almost fell out of my shoes.  That's what focusing like a laser does and not expecting to see anything I suppose.  I was able to snap off a picture or two before I joined Gregg and shared with him the cute little bird I had just encountered.  I think maybe he is a tree swallow as I saw several flying about earlier.  


28 comments:

  1. Just look at those wide eyes!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute photos of the little bird peeking out ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely capture. Very appealing.

    I love your header, too - what a lucky shot. I'm always just that little bit too late . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute photo. It seemed very curious about you too.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were lucky, Denise. Another second and you might have missed seeing the bird. Brilliant piece of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet little shot! Love those dark eyes peeping out at you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photos. I'm sure you gave her a bit of a jolt too! Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet! I love the photos. Great post, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. miracles miracles so many to warm the soul....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good catch! So cute. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how absolutely wonderful! That is the cutest little pair of eyes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh how cute is that!! i would have wet my pant!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an awesome little bird. he does seem rather shy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice surprise. Cute shots, Denise. It does look like a Swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't he a cutie????? I got a picture of one of our little Bluebirds last week peeking out of the nest. Can you imagine what he/they feel ---looking out at this big ole world?????

    Great pictures, Denise.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute shot. Way to be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you have a special relationship with the small animal/bird kingdom!


    Warm Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  18. What big eyes you have Grandma.
    What a wonderful shot. Thank you. And a big thank you (again) to Greg for that wonderful shot of your early morning visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous, I love birds. Well spotted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun surprise. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Unusual place, bird in flights are magic. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
  22. Once again, thank you so much for all the really nice comments.

    ReplyDelete