Thursday, April 12, 2012

My afternoon visitor....

Today I was noticing how pretty the new growth on the trees looked in the back garden.  I liked the filigree effect of the branches behind them....


and when the sunlight hit the leaves, they made a really pretty sight.


Mr. Squirrel was checking me out but I really wasn't taking photos of him today, as cute as he was.  I noticed he disappeared quickly, as did his whole family.  Even the birds who had been gathering on the back deck suddenly took rapid flight.  One of them hit the window, not too hard because he wasn't even a foot off the ground before he and the glass made contact.  Don't worry, he was okay, I checked..


Not too long afterwards, when it was all quiet, I noticed something fly onto a tree branch.  I was inside when this happened.  I looked through the branches and saw a shape I don't get to see that often, so I took a couple of shots through the glass to try and see what it was.


The first one I couldn't focus on him but those new leaves look pretty don't they?  Not what I was going for those either this time, but then the bird came into focus and it was as I had suspected, a hawk, not sure what kind.


I opened the door to get a closer look and he took one look at me and he was out of there.


He landed high up in my neighbor's tree.  


Is it a Cooper's?  Maybe someone will know.


None of these photos came out that great but I was happy to get something of my afternoon visitor.  If you look at the last shot, in the lower right hand corner of the photo, you will see him taking off.


I was relieved when he flew out of the garden and onto pastures new, and so were the other birds as when the coast was clear they came back to the feeders. I noticed my squirrels ate their peanuts more under cover than usual, right underneath the deck rail.

25 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

love those sharp-eyed birds! couldn't tell you for sure what type. :)

Andrew said...

Wonderful to see...

Country Gal said...

Wonderful photos ! Its amazing what we can see in our own back yards ! Looks like that might be a Coopers Hawk or a Falcon of some sort ! Have a great day !

Arija said...

Thrilling to see the hawk but a totally different kind of thrill for all your usual visitors. Great captures Denise.

The Elephant's Child said...

Wow. I am not surprised the other birds and the squirrels were a little wary, but what a sight to see.

KaHolly said...

That next to the last shot is perfect!! What a great surprise!

Jane and Chris said...

Oh, he took my breath away..so beautiful...if the wings were very rounded then a Coopers for sure.
Jane x

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, this hawk looks very much like the one that has hung around where we have our feeders. Guess it figures it will find a quick lunch at our place. Not sure what type of hawk, maybe sharp-shin?

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, Looks like a Cooper-but I'm not sure. Glad he flew away though --since they will keep the other little birds away from your feeders... Luckily, we don't have many hawks around here...
Hugs,
Betsy

Linda Reeder said...

How very cool that you got to sense the silence and absence of the other birds and squirrels before you saw the hawk. That's being up close and personal with nature.

RoeH said...

Beautiful bird!! I wish I had been there to see it. I love to watch their eyes.

Pauline said...

I'm glad the intruder didn't have the chance to do any harm, and that you captured his image him so well. And also that he left again.

gigihawaii said...

Well, poor hawk. He went hungry. Lol.

Cloudia said...

magic with light and creatures, you!


Warm Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>

Sunray Gardens said...

Great photos. Not that I would want him near here.

Cher Sunray Gardens

diane b said...

He's a fine looking fellow. Isn't that always the way .....when you open the door for a better shot...off they go. You did well to capture him.

i beati said...

such Spring fun

Valerie said...

Could be a goshawk, Denis. Or maybe a female sparrowhawk? Or maybe some other kind of hawk...lol. We always know when there's a sparrowhawk lurking... the garden is suddenly devoid of birds.

imac said...

Fur n feathers eh, great shots.

Scott said...

Lucky you. We just don't get close views of good wild life like that in my neighborhood. Nice shots and thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

How nice! I love your photos, Denise!

eileeninmd said...

Cool sighting, Denise! It does look like a Coopers hawk to me. I hope your song birds were safe. Great shots and post. Have a wonderful weekend!

Janie said...

Nice photos of the hawk. No wonder the squirrels and birds suddenly made themselves scarce!

jabblog said...

Birds and squirrels are so alert when danger lurks, usually seeing or sensing it long before the humans. Great shot - what a thrill to have a hawk in the garden.

Denise said...

Thank you for visiting friends.