Friday, April 27, 2012

Camera Critters

The Place I Want To Get Back To.....


is where
in the pinewoods
in the moments between
the darkness


and first light 
two deer
came walking down the hill
and when they saw me


they said to each other, okay,
this one is okay,
let's see who she is
and why she is sitting


on the ground, like that,
so quiet, as if
asleep, or in a dream,
but, anyway, harmless;


and so they came
on their slender legs
and gazed upon me
not unlike the way


I go out to the dunes and look
and look and look
into the faces of the flowers,
and then one of them leaned forward


and nuzzled my hand, and what can my life
bring to me that could exceed 
that brief moment?
For twenty years


I have gone every day to the same woods,
not waiting, exactly, just lingering.
Such gifts, bestowed,
can't be repeated.


If you want to talk about this
come to visit.  I live in the house
near the corner, which I have named
Gratitude.

~~~~~~~~

This beautiful poem is by Mary Oliver and Gregg and I have taken these photos over the last several years and have been shown before.  However, it's been a while and I am revisiting them for the poem I found today.

~~~~~~~~


Thank you Misty for hosting Camera Critters.
To see other fun critters please click here.

28 comments:

  1. Bonjour dear Denise,
    AWesome set of pictures, they are adorable critters,I love all portraits, mainly the first composition with the cute friends, green field and some flowers!
    Happy Friday
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos and post ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how very beautiful, the words and the images. Your header is gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots of beautiful creatures.Deer are very calming to watch.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. such beauties! love your header photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What adorable photos! I love your header photo as well, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You photos are outstanding, and I love the poem you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww, what adorable pictures you took! I'm so jealous though! LOL! I hope you have a fantastic weekend.

    ~Antoentte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos of the deer. I especially like the one of the mother nursing her baby. You take the best pictures of animals, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pics sure compliment this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice shots and always enjoy Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. such lovely sensitive pictures, D



    Warm Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  13. The poem and accompanying photos are so beautiful, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful sentiments, beautiful images. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful captures of deer's life. I'm so touched with the mom and baby deer shot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pics! I love the fawns!

    Here's my CC:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2012/04/camera-critters-42812.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  17. We recently drove by where there are so many deer. Lovely captures Denise. I love your header.

    My Critter please come and see when you have time. Have a safe and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. More then outstanding pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your wonderful photos go perfectly with that lovely poem. Can you imagine such a magical experience?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a wonderful poem, and your photos are the perfect illustrations. I love when I am blessed with the presence of deer in my pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful words to go with these delightful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love everything about this post! One of the best posts I've seen in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely poem and photos, Denise. It's true, there are some moments when we feel so close to nature and wish they could be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to read this poem and looka at your wonderful photos! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Incredible poem, and amazing photos. When we lived in Texas on a 200 acre ranch and all we could see were the fields around the house in any direction, I read a book called My Prairie, I think. It was a sweet little book that celebrated the flora and fauna of the writer's environs, and for all the financial difficulties and health issues we were going through then, I felt blessed to be living surrounded by such beauty. We saw painted buntings, scissor-tail flycatchers, and dozens of other birds regularly; lots of deer; coyotes; a fox once and an owl once; wonderful wildflowers....and at night when I lay in the dark I would be serenaded by the coyotes as I went to sleep. This post reminds me so much of that!

    ReplyDelete