Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Another quote and a bit of a ramble....


I haven't been out to take any photos for a while and think I am going through withdrawal!  I need to take a mini road trip just for that, and am hoping this weekend the weather will be cooperative.   My butterfly picture, I can't even remember where I took it as by the time I worked on it in Paint Shop Pro, I forgot which folder I originally got it from.  It would take a while for me to find it I'm sure and I'm afraid I don't have the motivation right now, maybe later.  I wish I had kept the one in color as visually I prefer it but I also like the vintage look.  I love to read quotes as there is so much wisdom in many of them, and they are a good reminder when one needs reminding.  I collect them and start searching to match one up to a photograph when needed.

Since I last wrote I have had fun visits from family and friends.  Always great to get together with people I don't get to see all the time.  My son and his wife were over here last Sunday and Gregg and I can't get enough of listening to them.  I fixed breakfast and when Brad saw the English Bangers cooking, he gave me a big smile.  I get them from the British shop where I once worked.  A chap called Chris makes them and I can only say, thanks Chris, they really are the best I have ever tasted this side of the pond.  I still pop up to the shop every now and again.

I talked to my brother-in-law and niece on Skype this week, and now that we have a new modem the picture isn't pixelated any more, and no more cutting in an out.  It really got frustrating not being able to chat to them properly and now I can see them clearly and get ALL of the conversation, wonderful!    I got to talk to them two days in a row.  As they live in Germany you can imagine how much I miss them but isn't Skype fantastic for bringing us all closer together?  I have known my brother-in-law since I was thirteen years old and can still clearly remember when my sister brought him home for the first time and introduced him to our family.   I realized a long time ago, and I told my niece this in our conversation, that I thought of her Dad as more a brother than a brother-in-law.

I saw the movie Chimpanzee last Friday.  It was only shown in the theaters that one day.  I enjoyed it very much and thought the cinematography was excellent.  There are always a couple of things you could do without but I would not want to spoil it by naming them if anyone gets the chance to see for themselves - everyone's taste is different.  On the whole I am very glad I got to see it on the big screen and hopefully will be able to buy it on DVD eventually.   It's a true-life story of a little orphaned Chimp called Oscar.  I'm glad to say that all turns out well for Oscar, though that's as much as you'll get from me.

What is it with our weather lately?  I felt so chilly over the last couple of days or so, and decided to make a batch of beef stew.  It is on the stove top giving out the most wonderful aroma.  It's a hybrid of four or five different recipes, so I won't even bother posting it.  I am sure you have got your own delicious stew recipes.  I had a small sample.  I get worried when I throw things together and wondered if I had thrown too much black pepper into the pot.  The last time I threw pepper into the pot my mouth was on fire.  Gregg loved it but he likes very spicy food.  I like mine on the plainer side, don't mind a little heat though.  I needn't have worried, today seems to be the right amount.   I had most of the ingredients in the fridge and only had to go up to the store to get a few things.

Gregg and I went to the bookstore a couple of days ago.  He bought one of his business books and I bought a couple of magazines - Yellowstone Journal and Nature Photographer.  I also treated myself to three small poetry books, all written by Mary Oliver, my favorite poet of the moment.  And last but not least, yet another field guide of Birds of Virginia, like I need another book on birds but as far as I'm concerned, you can't have too many books on any kind of wildlife.

I also have several books on my Nook to read and have just finished one called Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon.  The author is an American lady who lives in Venice and I have enjoyed several of her murder mysteries involving Commissario Guido Brunetti.   I have lost count of how many I have read and will have to wait until her next one.   Her vivid descriptions of Venice - along with all the gorgeous photos I have seen over the years - puts you right into that city.  I hope I get to Italy one day.  Venice will be on the list.

My time for reading is usually at bedtime.  I never thought I would ever get used to an electronic reader, and I still love the feel of a paper book in my hands, but I love my Nook and take it everywhere with me.  I love that you can enlarge the print - yes I know - I love how you can read it with all the lights out, I love how you can look up words that you don't understand right there and then and hey, we're saving a tree.  Yes, I am finding more pros than cons these days except one definite con would be that I can't share with friends as readily as I used to, unless they themselves have a Nook.  Many of my friends have not made that cross-over and some may not, they are probably shaking their heads at me and I wouldn't blame them.  I also enjoy playing Scrabble on it, and checking out the Internet but I use it mostly for reading.  And did I mention that I love my Nook?

Ramble over with.


20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sounds like you've been busy, but in a good way. i like that butterfly and treatment you applied. now, go take some photos! ;)

diane b said...

I enjoyed your ramble. It is like sitting with you and having a chat over a cup of tea. We had a good flight over and Sonya and Bernie were relieved to see us as they were worried what to do with Fox if they had to rush to the hospital.

Jean said...

Denise, I like your sepia butterfly photo. The quote touched me...so true.
Wishing you a great road trip!

EG CameraGirl said...

You've been so busy, Denise. No wonder you've not found time to take photos! :))

Debbie said...

so nice to read your entry today, you have been a very busy bee!!

i take pictures, every, single, day!! i have soooo many pictures i have not shared and i am trying to get organized!!

i hope you get to take your road trip and enjoy that stew. homemade beef stew is one of my favorites.

beautiful picture!!

Country Gal said...

I loved your so called rambling .I like the fact that you speak like I do even in your writings , we type how we speak . One store I do miss here is Marks & Sparks they went out of buisness years ago here an absolute shame I loved that store . Papa and I love bangers and mash it has been quite sometime since we have had it , I think I will make some for Fri supper ! Have a lovely day !

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, You have been busy... Love your butterfly. AND--I loved the quote.

There's nothing better than time with friends and family.

Hugs,
Betsy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, you certainly have had a lot going on and thanks for sharing. I also like to read in bed and enjoy Donna Leon as well. I've read several of her Inspector Brunetti mysteries and have about 5 in paperback on my bookshelf for future reads. I've just recently finished a couple of mysteries by Elizabeth George whose main detective is Inspector Lynley of New Scotland Yard. You might also enjoy her.

Lui said...

Hi Denise!
You really had a busy week.
We are really going to have strange weather and moods because the energies around us are changing. Keep this in mind, have faith, love more, connect more and commit to be happy ;-)

My Piece of the World said...

So glad to hear your comments about your Nook. I am seriously considering getting an electronic reader but I am so torn. I as well, love the feel of the real book but do a lot of reading in bed and find hardcover books (especially) really awkward and think that an e-reader would come in handy. I'm happy that you are finding more pros than cons with it! Take care:)

Linda said...

Hi Denise,

I know what you mean about not taking any photos for a while...I have been through the same loop, so I know the feeling. Your posts are always well thought out and inspiring, and I enjoy coming here. Thank you for sharing.

The Elephant's Child said...

Love the butterfly. And no, I haven't been able to bring myself to e-reading. Lots of the books I like are no longer in print and, well there is just something about the feel of a book. For me anyway.

gigihawaii said...

I tend to prefer prose to poetry, so this ramble was interesting to me. I have not made beef stew in years, as my recipe isn't the best. Nice to eat on a cold day, though. Have to agree with your comments about chatting with family members and also about loving the e-reader!!! All the best to you, Denise!

Don't unplug your hub. said...

A lovely talkative post! I might have a look at a nook. Is that really what they're called?

imac said...

What wonders you create my friend.
May all your worries disappear and the sun shines on you.

Cloudia said...

Such a companionable post!
Like a nice visit with you,
good pal!


Warm Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

> < } } (°>

><}}(°>

i beati said...

I can't get enough of Spring

me said...

Hi Denise, I havent been by coz I havent been feeling to good. I too need to get out and take some piccies. The weather here has been abysmal we are officially in drought and it hasnt stopped raining, I wish the drought would stop so we can dry out. Have a good trip XXX Don

Misty Dawn said...

I absolutely LOVE my Nook Tablet. I got it for Christmas and use it almost every day. I'm a mystery reader too. Are you on Goodreads?

Misty Dawn said...

Ohhhh one more thing - check this out... http://audubonguides.com/news/whatsnew.html