Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Philadelphia International Flower Show - Part 2

Here are more photos from the show.  The theme this year was Hawaii.  As soon as I heard the music of Brother Iz singing all my favorite songs, the strangest sensation came over me.  I felt homesick for Hawaii and I have never lived there.  I have, however, been blessed to have visited five times over the past 30 years and each time I did not want to come home.  That is a good way to leave a place, wanting to stay past your vacation time, a good way to leave I guess, wanting more.  When Gregg heard the music playing and saw this setting even he said how much he would love to go back to Hawaii and hopefully one day we will.  At the end of this post you can hear three of my favorite songs by Brother Iz.


We did not see any live music or dancers this time but it was fun to see the projections on the side of this grass structure.  


We missed the live traditional dancing as we had left the show by then.


I wish I could have taken many of these flowers home with me and plant them in my garden but I will have to wait until our next trip to the botanic garden in Washington DC.  


This sign reminded us of a very special trip we took the last time we were in Maui several years ago.  We were still on East Coast time and were up at the crack of dawn so that we could take the road to Hana.  It was memorable as there was no one else around, and it is probably at the top of the list for one of the most scenic road trips we have ever taken.

















We have never been to Kaua'i and hope to visit that island next time we head that way.


We picked up several brochures!
















Replica of the USS Arizona Memorial



A wonderful display of flowers with lighting which is meant to represent a lava flow.  The photo doesn't do it justice.  It was a far more magnificent visual than this photo shows.
















This is a look-a-like of the statue of a very famous surfer, Duke Kahanamoku.  You can see a photo of the real one here and here, which is located on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu.  


This car did not have one fingerprint on it as there was a young man who diligently polished every spot that had been handled, and there was a lot of handling.  






Three great songs sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (Brother Iz)





18 comments:

Marie said...

The flowers are wonderfully beautiful! I bet it smelled like heaven in there too! The displays are just incredible! All I can say is WOW! Oh, and I love the replica of the USS Arizona!

Cloudia said...

three GREAT songs!

sweet post


Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

>< } } ( ° >

Lui said...

What an amazing post, Denise! Thank you for bringing us with you ;-)

I love the rose arrangements with anthuriums. And the white ones are simply beautiful! What a show indeed!

Sunray Gardens said...

What fantastic photos. Really enjoyed the tour. The flowers are of course beautiful.
Cher Sunray Gardens

i beati said...

when I lived there I went to this show every year..Was it crowded?

The Elephant's Child said...

Oh wow. thank you.

Jane and Chris said...

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing this with us, Denise.
Jane x

TexWisGirl said...

i love the exotic flowers. they put a lot of effort into those displays.

Janie said...

So many exotic flowers and lovely scenes! I haven't been to Hawaii, but this makes me want to go.

Janet said...

I love the floral arrangements -from one who dabbles in floral art and would like the use of such exotic flowers myself! Stunning -that`s my kind of show x

Don't unplug your hub said...

I love the little shed, and rusty corrugated iron has a beauty too. Well I think so!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, What a fabulous flower show --especially since you have been to Hawaii several times. As much as we travel, Hawaii is one place we haven't been to yet...

Love all of the gorgeous flowers. I recognize some of them in our trips to Biltmore. Thanks for sharing. Great songs also.

Hugs,
Betsy

Red Nomad OZ said...

Your photos make it a magical place! I also note (with pleasure) a lot of RED flowers - if you're interested, you could be a guest on my RED Alert series! Pop over and have a look, then let me know if you're interested via my profile or a comment!

Linda Reeder said...

It looks like a glorious display of all things tropical!

Denise said...

Thank you for visiting my friend. Have a great day!

Cezar and Léia said...

Wonderful photo reportage dear Denise!Thanks for sharing!
Léia

Gill - That British Woman said...

great again,

Gill

Kay said...

Gosh! I missed seeing these posts last year. I believe I was in Japan at the time. I think? I can't remember. I can see why you go to these flower shows. They are so impressive.