Monday, March 12, 2012

Philadelphia International Flower Show - Part 1

This past weekend - and as you may have seen in a previous post - Gregg and I spent a long weekend  in Philadelphia.   The last time we were here was in 1990 when we took our son to a comic book convention.  It is one of our favorite memories and Gregg has often mentioned over the years that he would like to go back and explore the city.  A few months ago I saw that they were having the annual flower show and  I asked him if he would like to go back for a long weekend.  He said it was a great idea and we were both eager to see Philadelphia again.  I immediately found a hotel downtown and within walking distance of the show, reserved a room and booked the tickets online.  We arrived here late last Thursday night and on the Friday we spent several hours at the show.  


The theme this year honored Hawaii and as we walked into the huge hall we were greeted with what I can only describe it as a big, blue 'wave'.  Very cleverly done, it gave you a feeling of being under the water as sea turtles and other marine life passed over your head, and the structure was decorated at intervals with beautiful white flowers.  


That blue screen curves over me with a gentle flow of 'water' and you can also hear the waves, both of which create a completely peaceful mood..... 


but of course you have to share with a thousand other people who are eager to experience this for themselves.  


The scenery changes to that of dozens of Plumeria blossoms floating over your head.


Fresh white Anthuriums and Orchids...... 


are individually placed in small water vials.  


I think I could have stayed in that one spot for another hour but it's time to give someone else a chance to enjoy, and people are starting to flood through the doors.  


They are another wave of sorts but obviously not nearly as peaceful as this one.  These people are here to enjoy this fabulous flower show and there's a lot to see.



Check here for more pictures and an article on the show and here for another great article at the blog of a lady who actually judges at the show.

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

except for the crowds, it sounds really neat! :)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How exciting !
Looked like a fun place, and all that beauty to enjoy...
Such pretty flowers, thank you for sharing with us.
~Jo

The Elephant's Child said...

Another blogger I follow put up a post about this show. I agree with A Brit in Tennessee - except for the crowds it sounded incredible. Given the crowds I am grateful for the generosity of bloggers who let us see it crowd free.

gigihawaii said...

Imagine: Hawaii in Philly. Wow! You and Gregg must come to Hawaii someday, Denise. David and I will treat you to lunch and perhaps show you Tantalus and the Pali, if you haven't already seen them.

Kay said...

I'm so glad I was able to stop in for a visit today. How wonderful!!!

Cloudia said...

SUREAL remembering the BLAST of FLOWERS & SCENTS that was the Philly flower show after a philly winter, and to see it here, my old hometown, from here in Hawaii, on a friend's blog-What a World!

Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

>< } } ( ° >

Sunray Gardens said...

Looks like a really great show and apparently an awful lot of people agree and showed up.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Honest Abe said...

Remarkable experience I am sure.

Valerie said...

I liked the construction of the show, the 'waves' were quite realistic. Beautiful flowers too, although like most others said the noise would have been too much. It's nice that you shared it with us; thank you, Denise.

Jane and Chris said...

A far cry from the flower shows I remember as a small child in England!!
Jane x

tahera said...

How beautiful. I hope the fragrance of the flowers bring fragrance in the life of people who visited. Cancer Treatment Centers of Philadelphia

Out on the prairie said...

the wave was amazing, i could see why you could stay there forever. Very nice to be around so many others with a passion to observe the blooms.

Rose from Oz is Back! said...

Denise thank you for sharing this - totally amazing! And no crowds from where I'm looking!!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, Absolutely fabulous flower show... Love the BLUES.... I'm sure that you two had a great weekend in Philly.

We are home from our 2nd trip is a month--and both of us have colds.. Yuk! Guess it will be REST for this upcoming week for both of us.

Hugs,
Betsy

Jean said...

I have never been to a flower show. Now I want to go to one.

Marie said...

I am amazed at the scope of the displays and entrance, and how huge and elaborate it all seems! I've never been to a really large flower show and I feel like now I am really missing something! How neat that the two of you got to go back to Philadelphia for it. I love that the theme is honoring Hawaii!!

Janie said...

The scenes are gorgeous, but I like the flowers best.