Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Feathered friends in the garden

These were not as chatty as the birds in my previous post but it could be that the lady who feeds them was half asleep when she took these photos, and still is....
One of my favorite birds around here is the Tufted Titmouse.  I love their sweet song.   I have a pair that visit every day.  They flit around so much that it's hard to get them in the same picture, but I was lucky.

I think this one is a female Cowbird.  She was always with the males and those I easily recognize.  Feel free to let me know if I am wrong.

This one is a Red-bellied Woodpecker, a female I'm guessing as there is a touch of grey on her head.  She is the same one as in my previous post and was checking out the seed - or bugs -that had fallen into the cracks.

The Cardinals are in the garden all year round and I love them.  In fact I love all the birds that visit here, as I have probably mentioned before.

The Goldfinches have been visiting for about the last month.   This one seems to have gone through its molting process as the others looked a bit bedraggled and patchy.

We also get many Sparrows and Robins, a few Downy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees, Blue Jays, lots of Mourning Doves, Grackles and the occasional Crow. Hawks landed on the deck rail quite a while ago, parent and child and I would see them at the top of the tallest tree. They were absolutely gorgeous but I was ambivalent.  I wanted them to hang around and yet wanted them to move on also. I haven't seen them in a very long time.  I stopped filling the bird feeders for obvious reasons, but I think the little birds knew they were in danger as they were also scarce for a while.  When after a few days the Hawks didn't make any more appearances, I refilled the bird feeders.   I had a Red-Wing Blackbird for a few days but he moved on, and I used to have lots of Starlings who got really agitated with the Grackles and fought for their place at the feeders.  They haven't been around for a long time either.  We also get House Finches and Wrens.   In the wintertime a lot of Grey-slated Junco's keep us company but when we had the warmer weather they disappeared.  They have done this every year since we have lived in our home.   Always a welcome sight at the beginning of winter and I am sad to see them go in the Spring.  

I enjoy the activity in the garden and am always looking for a new bird to land here, one that I haven't seen before.  Then there are the Squirrels and Chipmunks, and the occasional Raccoon, but then that's another story.

26 comments:

Sunray Gardens said...

You get so many birds there. I don't get near that, but I don't have enough big cover for them yet.
Cher Sunray Gardens

jabblog said...

You're lucky to have so many feathered visitors - word about nice restaurants spreads quickly in the bird world. The Tufted Titmouse is so very pretty.

TexWisGirl said...

i love all of our feeder friends, too. never tire of them. :)

Sharon said...

Nice pictures! Think the little titmouse is also my favorite.

The yard is now alive with birds, it's getting pretty noisy. LOL!

Country Gal said...

Fantastic photos ! The only bird we dont get at our feeders is the Tuffed Titmouse but all the rest are the same as you get there ! I love watching all the birds in our yard and in the sky soring over head. Have a great day !

Jane and Chris said...

What a pretty gentle face the titmouse has...I'm sure that bird wouldn't splash water everywhere like the robin....it seems far too genteel!
Jane x

Sara said...

Those cardinals are so bright. I wish we had red birds over here on this coast...but we don't. It would be so wonderful to see them flashing about among the trees.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Isn't it lovely seeing old friends return to the garden !
You have a wide variety there, I 'spect they know where the food is plentiful :)
Love those Tufted Titmouse too, they are gently little souls.
Lovely shots Denise.
~Jo

Andrew said...

Wonderful little birds to see..

Don't unplug your hub. said...

The tufted titmouse is similar to our bearded tit. Beautiful little creatures! Nice photos.

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Great variety of visitors to your feeders...lucky you! They must be telling their friends about the great service they get at your house!

Kay said...

So many different species. I think I've mentioned this before, I don't see very many species here in my yard. I see more when I'm out hiking but a lot of these, I've never seen. Guess they do not live in California.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Oh, these are so sweet. Love those little critters.

Linda G. said...

We get many of the same birds in our back yard. We have squirrels and chipmunks, too, but I have yet to see a raccoon. It seems that the cardinal count is higher this year than past years. I've counted 3 male cardinals in one tree. I haven't been photographing the birds, but I sure do like watching them. I enjoyed looking at your bird pictures.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

We have almost the same birds here, Denise... I love to see the colorful ones get their spring colors this time of year. We have lots of Goldfinches --and the males are getting prettier everyday.

Thanks for sharing your birds.
Hugs,
Betsy

Linda Reeder said...

I love the little tit mouse. We don't have those here, or cardinals either.
Wonderful photos!

Lui said...

Oh they look so beautiful and regal and friendly and for sure they found a home and a friend in you, Denise!

Kay said...

You get the most amazing flower and bird photos, Denise. That first Titmouse looks almost artificial. Birds move around so much. You are really gifted with patience and the talent to know just when to click.

Jean said...

I fell you are correct about the ID of the female Cowbird. The stout bill is a telling feature.
Love your first photo of the Titmouse. These are endearing birds.:)

Silving said...

Cute little birds,so colorfull!

Cezar and Léia said...

That's the reason I LOVE SPRING time!The little birds are very happy!I love them all!
Léia

eileeninmd said...

Hi Denise, you have a great collection of yard birds. The photos are wonderful. I am glad the hawk decided to move on. You sweet birds will be more at peace now.

ascu75 aka Don said...

Hi Denise I love your birds to. Your posts make me smile. XXX Don

EG CameraGirl said...

You have so many sweet birds in these photos!

Janie said...

You have a lot of bird variety in your yard, Denise, and you get great photos of them, too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, it was certainly so nice to see these lovely bird photos. I have stopped putting out the feeders for awhile, aside from the finch feeders, the cowbirds and cdrackles would eat everything before the cardinals and others had a chance to enjoy.