Friday, March 30, 2012

Camera Critters # 208


Gregg's dad and his wife visited us a couple of weekends ago, and for the first time we took them to one of our favorite places, Meadowlark Gardens.  I have shared photos from Meadowlark many times before and if you click on the label below this post, it will take you to them.  


One of the lakes is full of koi and turtles.  I have seen koi at least three feet long.


The turtles are always interesting to me, and this one swam over a koi as we watched.


He is a painted turtle (Chrysemys picta) and is the most widespread native turtle of North America.  


Fossils that have been found show that they have existed for 15 million years, but four regionally based subspecies (the eastern, midland, southern and western) evolved during the last ice age.


"Try to be like the turtle, at ease in your own shell."
~Bill Copeland~


"I'm Yertle the Turtle!
Oh, marvelous me!
For I am  the ruler of
All that you see!"

"Your Majesty.
Please....I don't like 
To complain.
But down here
Below, we are feeling
great pain."

"And the turtles, of course.....
All the turtles are free
As turtles, and maybe,
All creatures
should be."

~Dr. Seuss~

~~~~~


Thank you Misty for hosting Camera Critters.
To see other fun critters please click here.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome photos ! These fish are also known as gold fish the type you can get from the pet store but did you know they grow depending on their habitat . If you keep them in a fish bowl or tank they dont grow very big but a pond depending on the size of the pond they can grow huge ! My dad stocked them in our garden pond and some grew to be 3 feet long ! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise, the koi are so colorful and pretty. Interesting info about on the painted turtle, it has a long history. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the koi ponds - assuming these fellows were 'grown' there on purpose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Denise! Your photos are gorgeous as always and I love your header. It's very Monet... impressionistic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We live in Yertle the turtle times indeed, D !


    Warm Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  6. How absolutely adorable, Denise! But I always say 'no' when people wanted to give me fishes or turtles !

    I keep forgetting to include my 'critters' to this meme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to watch the huge koi swim, they are so graceful.Those Red Eared turtles have excellent eyesight and are sometime hard to shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute pics and the Dr Seuss poem is apropos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Denise,
    I'm delighted by the sweet turtle pictures!And the poem is adorable!
    I also love your header!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots of Mr Turtle and the Koi. They are ancient looking animals but cute.

    ReplyDelete