Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Home Is Where You Hang Your Hat

Yesterday I noticed how the shadows of the tree fell across my neighbor’s house.  I thought it was very striking, more striking than shown in these photographs.



We have lived in this neighborhood now since 1990.  The first time we saw our home, I remember the walk-in closet, and the embarrassment I felt when the real estate agent opened the door to show how much space there was.  To me your closets are sacrosanct and I have always thought it was very rude to look inside someone else’s without their consent, even if I was a potential buyer and this was part of the package.  But, I couldn’t help but notice the kilts with the full regalia hanging inside.  One was for an adult and two others for younger children.  I imagined the father and his two sons wearing them for special occasions, and it caused me to smile from ear to ear, they were just so lovely to see.  No surprise to find that the people we ended up buying the house from were Scottish.



We liked the feel of the place and had checked out the schools beforehand.  Gregg's brother, wife and family only lived a couple of miles away by road, and if you were brave enough to find a spot to traverse over the creek, a hop, skip and a jump away, which I think our kids did often but were not supposed to because that creek was pretty hazardous at times, especially after a heavy rain.  I grew up in an industrial area, built-up area, what can I say?  I never even knew what a 'creek' was!  Besides, I was never that brave and always took the car the long-about route when we visited.  I also had a friend living in the neighborhood with two small children and another friend in the next town.  One friend had moved from California six months previously and our kids had gone to the same school, and the other friend we had known since our time in Monterey when our children were three years' old.  After Gregg and I discussed it at some length, we put in our bid, it was accepted and we moved in a couple of months later.  It took me a while to feel settled, as up until that point we had lived in California for most of our married life, and I was very happy on the west coast.  I have, however, slowly grown to love our home and the area we live in and after all, home is where you hang your hat, or your kilts. 

22 comments:

  1. I love your house, Denise! I can see why you love living there. It doesn't look as crowded as it does where I live. It's great to have a two car covered garage too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree, Denise!
    Home is where your loved ones are.
    And thank you so much for the hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And best of all, you see raccoons occasionally. I wish I had a walk-in closet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your home and I really love your new moody header.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Denise,
    I agree with your words, I also know this feeling of "home sweet home".And in many ways, we keep our home inside the heart, with all good things, our family, our memories, our lights...
    This house is adorable!
    hugs
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your home. Looks like a great place to live.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shadow shot, Denise! You have a lovely home and neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a lovely looking house. and a beautiful part of the world to be in.
    Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the story about the kilts in the closet. What a small world we live in. The house is lovely, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very posh house my friend.
    Looks friendly and warm hearted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it wonderful when you find a house and it immediately becomes a home.
    Both of us moved around with the military, it's always best to adopt the "wherever I hang my hat" attitude, it just makes life easier.
    I love your home, so warm and inviting, and in a perfect little piece of the world.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the rolling of the earth and I adore trees..sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home is also where your heart is ! Every time Papa and I come home from being out we always say with a smile as we pull in the driveway "Home Again, Home Again Jiggity jig " My mum and dad always said that after coming home from somewhere to us kids and now we say it ! Nothing better then Home Sweet Home ! Nice photo and post. Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  14. It certainly is.
    Since leaving our last home (very close to where you and your family lived Denise) I am astonished how "at home" I feel already. I get the odd surprise when Mike appears around a corner but I have not heard him. The odd strange noise at night although mostly it is quieter than the old place.
    Yes, it feels like home already. It fits!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a gorgeous house Denise,lovely post and by the way-
    I too have a kilt hanging in my closet [ hubbys of Scottish descent ]

    ReplyDelete
  16. A dream home! Walk in closets...I can't walk to my closet yet alone, walk in.

    Yes, a heart makes a home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you put this on here. Those shadows are nice. Beauty includes light and dark.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too agree you do have a lovely home and it makes a lovely change from these over built new sub-division, with no character.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  19. The shadow adds a texture almost to many pictures.A lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know what you mean about opening other people's closets - it's like pulling open drawers or reading personal mail - simply 'not done' (tee hee!!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like your idea of home...how nice that you had that small glimpse of the people who owned your home before. I think this house couldn't have seemed more cold when we first saw it...but I had come from staying in some very old and broken-down abodes, and needed that sense of clean/newness. There are definitely things I would change if I owned this house!!! But, the most important thing about it is that it is for now at least HOME...close to the kids, a place to feel safe and to share the things we care about; with all our special things around us.

    I love the look of the shadow on the house too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Home is where you feel at home. The neighbour's house sure looks homely and comfy so I guess yours does too.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.