Monday, February 6, 2012

To walk among trees


"I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beech-tree or yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines."

~Henry David Thoreau


"I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do."

~Willa Cather, 1913~


"Trees are your best antiques."

~Alexander Smith~


"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything."

~William Shakespeare~


 "Alone with myself
The trees bend to caress me
The shade hugs my heart."

~Candy Polgar~


"It is no so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit."

~Robert Louis Stevenson~


"If you would know strength and patience, welcome the company of trees."

~Hal Borland~


"I hear the wind among the trees
Playing the celestial symphonies;
I see the branches downward bent,
Like keys of some great instrument."

~Henry Wadsorth Longfellow~


"Thank God they cannot cut down the clouds."

~Henry David Thoreau~


Lost 

Stand still.  The trees ahead
and bushes beside you are not lost.
Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes.  Listen.  It answers,
I have made this place around you,
If you leave it you may come back again, saying Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or a bush does is lost to you,
You are surely lost.
Stand still, the forest knows where you are.
You must let it find you.

~David Wagoner~


"The creation of a thousand forest
Is in one little acorn."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson~


"I willingly confess to so great a partiality for trees
as tempts me to respect a man
in exact proportion to his respect for them."

~James Russell Lowell~

13 comments:

  1. Brilliant photos and quotes. I am a tree hugger from way back. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your tree pictures. If you check my blog in the upcoming week, I have several pictures of the wooded area of our new homestead. I think you might enjoy them if you have a few minutes to look later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was made for my husband. He is such a tree fanatic. The thing that frustrates him the most about our home in Hawaii is the lack of space to plant a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful quotes and photos!
    There's also "I think that I shall never see, a poem as lovely as a tree..."
    Can we imagine today tramping such a distance to commune with a tree?! (other than a planned hike)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am blessed to have a forest. I 'love' my trees.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. those trees are lovely, and the captions suit the mood really well. There is nothing better than a ramble in the forest to take some photos. Really nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. To stroll between the trees,
    many a happy hour you'll agree,
    As the warm sun streaks thru,
    How many years they stood and grew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great walk (love the sky's color) on a winter day... Great words too.. I love big shade trees. Our yard is full of them and the birds (and squirrels) love them.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post, Denise and you won't be surprised to know that I loved reading all the quotes etc. My favourite was the verse by David Wagoner, I thought that was really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The poetry and photos are lovely. I love trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trees are probably my favorite plants...I just thought about this and realized that I love trees and herbs/ I love raptors and hummingbirds. The large and the small; the mighty and the fragile; the steadfast and the quick. You made me take the time to discover this observation about myself!

    ReplyDelete