Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Thai Chicken Noodle Soup for your Slow Cooker

Gregg and I enjoy Thai food which we were introduced to when we first moved to this area over 20 years ago.  We will normally go out to a restaurant but I am always looking for dishes to try at home and this is one of them.  When I saw it was for the slow cooker, even better.  Nothing like starting early in the day when your energy level is pretty high.

I found this recipe at "Bev Cooks" which you can look at here.

Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Noodle Soup


4 servings.

3 frozen or thawed chicken breast halves
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons freshly minced ginger
2 (13.5 oz.) cans coconut milk
4 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium or regular
4 oz. thin rice noodles
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
2 limes
For garnish: 2 jalapenos, finely sliced, Cilantro and/or Sweet Thai Basil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

In a slow cooker, add the coconut milk, broth, garlic, ginger, chicken, soy sauce, pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper.  Cook on high for 3 hours.

Using tongs, remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks.  Return to the pot.  Add the rice noodles, bell pepper and sprouts.  Cook for another 30 more minutes.  Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.

Serve each bowl garnished with sliced jalapeno, a good handful (or to taste) of cilantro and Thai Basil and squeeze lime juice over the top.



The end result was delicious.  We had left-overs and ate this two nights in a row.  It tasted even more delicious the second night because the flavors had a chance to develop.

The only changes we made was that we ended up not using the jalapenos.  Even Gregg was a little wary after eating ones sliced on a bahn mi sandwich a few nights ago, which he picked up on the way back from DC the other night.  He passes his favorite Vietnamese sandwich shop about half way home - it gives him a nice break from rush hour traffic.

Also, I didn't cook all the bean sprouts with the soup as we like to use those as garnish.  We enjoy the extra crunchiness of them.  

When we went grocery shopping at Whole Foods we found some Sweet Thai Basil and added it along with the Cilantro.  

This recipe is going in my 'definitely going to make this again' folder.

16 comments:

  1. perfect for after walking among trees!




    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't remember if it was water or milk to get for the Thai coconut milk recipes.I got a few cans of water. I was just going to boil some shrimps in it.I drank some, trying to imagine a bit of tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, and I love cilantro -- lots of it. My dad grew them in our yard. Unfortunately, I do not own a slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cilantro/coriander does look to be in a love/loathe category. I am fine with the seeds and the roots but cannot bear the leaves. Thai basil? Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is watering. I must remember not to read your posts before dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum food as always.
    I love your trees post, Denise.
    It made me cry.
    These days it takes so little to make me cry ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a delicious soup, Denise. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANKS Denise you get thia soup and I get a cheese sandwich, no contest thia would win everyday. XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good change of pace winter meal. Can't wait to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I don't care much for Thai food, that chicken soup looks delicious... We don't eat jalapenos either --or anything really spicy....

    Thanks for the recipe, Denise.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a real pleasure to read all your comments this morning. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The soup looks, and sounds, delicious. I love anything with cilantro so I think I'll write down this recipe. Thanks Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yummmmm! This looks wonderful, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this crockpot soup recipe, Denise. I haven't made a batch of coup in the crockpot in awhile and this seems like a good winter meal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds absolutely divine, and I will have to try out..I love soup in the winter..

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds really yummy, Denise.

    ReplyDelete