Friday, February 3, 2012

My early morning visitor......it's been a while.

It was early too.  Gregg had to go into Washington DC for a meeting with clients, and I came downstairs at 5.30 a.m.  I will often look out on the back deck just out of habit, and I saw a recognizable shape in the darkness the size of a small dog.  Putting on the outside light this is the sight that greeted me, my little raccoon was paying a visit and I watched as he tucked into the birdseed scattered on the deck.  I do a lot of sweeping up out there but it's small price to pay not only because of the birds that bring us so much enjoyment and the squirrels who are always entertaining, but also for the occasional raccoon.  


All the photos are a tad blurry as the lighting is never that great, and in the one below you can see part of my reflection in the glass.  He saw I had arrived and ambled over to take a closer look.  What I didn't get was him coming up to the door, sitting on his haunches with his paws pressed up against the glass, and staring me in the face for several seconds.  This is something that has happened on previous visits.  I get to see at least one raccoon about three times a year, usually late at night or very early in the morning, as was the case today.  I have written about these visits when they have occurred and if you click on the label below this post that says "Raccoons", it will take you to those posts.


It was a little different today as I noticed that every now and again he would stop and look to his left as if he heard something.  On one such occasion he was joined by another raccoon but when that raccoon saw me, he was a little more skittish and hightailed it back down the steps.


My first arrival soon went back to his eating and stayed for several more minutes until Gregg came down and found me sitting cross-legged on the carpet within inches, albeit with the glass door between us, of our little friend here.  Gregg left for work and so did the raccoon.


I say 'he' but I really don't know if this is a boy or a girl.  All I know is that I enjoy them very much and a visit from him/her started my day off on a very good note.  Then of course I had to get myself up out of that cross-legged position, which reminded me yet again that this 'spring chicken' left the building eons ago.


"I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contained, I stand and look at them long and long."

Walt Whitman - Song of Myself, 1855

23 comments:

  1. Oh, how wonderful. Like you I do a lot of sweeping up of bird seed, and scrubbing up the results of their incontinence. I don't resent the effort and would do so even less if I had an amazing visitor like this one. Thank you.

    PS: I am not certain that I could sit cross legged these days, and am very certain it would be a challenge to get up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos! What a great way to start the day. I would love to have a raccoon visitor some time!

    Denise, you are so sweet! I was moved by the things you said on my blogpost, and feel very fortunate to have you for a blogger friend. Yes, I would VERY much like it if we could meet someday. I hope that will happen. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pics brought a smile to my face. Mahalo, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a present for getting up early! The first shot looks lice Davy Crocket's head warmer. I'm with Walt Whitman, I would love to live in a cabin in the woods with just the animals.

    Beautiful photos, what a pity you did not get the shot of him/her leaning up against the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought dealing with squirrels was bad. Those coons will eat just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very fortunate, Denise. I would love to see a raccoon. Squirrels and birds and the occasional fox, that's what we get. I have a constant battle with the squirrels who keep waltzing off with the fruit I put out for the birds. I now stake the apples so that they have to be eaten before they can be forced off the stake. What fun, eh?

    Cross legged? Oh wow, those were the days....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This guy looks like he hasn't missed many meals...LOL Very cute shots

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise...the are very cute and mischievious!!
    The thing is that they torn my feeder all to pieces last spring, and killed my neighbor's chickens..., but I still think they are the cutest little bugger!! ; }
    Some nice photo you got!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are cute, Denise, but use caution. As they become familiar, they will try to get into that door. They can be very distructive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos of the raccoon, Denise, but I am glad you're behind the glass door..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute little critter.Sometimes they have no fear of humans, I have walked very close to them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, gosh I love raccoons, even though I know they're destructive. They crack me up every time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So adorable. My parents used to have a small farm and I would always love to sit on the porch in the early morning. There was always animal cuteness going on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They have such cute faces-lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful sight, as if that you were drawn to the door.

    ReplyDelete
  16. he is one super cool little critter.. and he doesnt seem phased by the camera either.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had a mother and 5 half-grown "babies" under our deck one morning (a first for us)...I was afraid they would attack the cat, but he stayed well out of the way. That evening when they all came out, I blocked their entry and left just two spaces small enough for the cat, because that is where he goes to hide when something spooks him. One dark morning recently a big raccoon was clattering about loudly on the deck cover...he had climbed up the post. Soon he came back down again and scampered over the wall. They are cute, but they make me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Denise, he looks guilty! Guilty of eating all your birdseed. My dog scares them off every night. Great pic's, they are kind of cute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The racoons are certainly cute and usually fearless. I did scare one away from my deck about midnight once. He was stealing tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never seen a raccoon in person, would love to!
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know racoons are considered as pests in the US but I really like the look of them, probably because we don't have anything similar in the UK

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit.