Wednesday, February 22, 2012

More collections

Today I thought I would share some of the prints and paintings that we have collected over the years. The last one I added was in 2011, and you can read about it in my post here.  These pieces usually have something sentimental about them, and it was our thing to buy a scene in the town or city we had lived in for a while.  We moved frequently in our navy days and there was always a print we would take with us, a little memento of a special place that meant a lot to us.


The painting above is one that gives me a connection to my Dad.  It was a gift to him on his retirement (his second career after the police force) at a solicitor's office.  We moved down to Devon when Dad retired from the Staffordshire Police Force.  We had been going to Devon twice a year for the previous eight years, and Mom and Dad always talked about moving there permanently when the time was right.  After six months of living in Devon he learned that an acquaintance of his from the old days - a solicitor (known as a lawyer to those of us in the States) - had moved down to Devon and set up a practice in Torquay.  He knew my Dad lived nearby and asked if he would go to work for him.  Dad said yes.  Years later his friend had long retired and moved to Spain, and a few years after that had passed on.  Dad in the meantime had gotten used to the people who took over and continued working until his early 70s.  He enjoyed his work but he knew when it was time to move on, so he retired for the second time and this was one of the gifts he was given from his colleagues.  It is a scene painted by a local artist in Torbay - I'm almost positive but not 100 percent sure that it is Goodrington.   This came to me when Dad passed on 18 years ago and it is my most treasured possession.


These next three paintings I bought in the town of Worcester.   By this time I had been living in the States and when Gregg put out to sea for six months, I often went back home to visit my parents and also my sister and her husband.  They lived about a couple of hundred miles north from my Mum and Dad, in the county of Worcestershire.   I remember passing the old Tudor house (above) many times on our walks around the city, and not too far away I saw this painting in a shop window.  My sister and I ventured inside and not only did I buy this one, but also the two below.  The owner of the shop was also the artist.


Above, the town of Pershore in the distance.  My sister and brother-in-law lived in a tiny village not far away.  I walked many times alongside the River Avon and watched the barges and other small craft go back and forth.  Gregg and I had done this when we first drove up north to introduce him to my sister and her husband, as did my family and I for many years before that.  It was a favorite walk of ours.


The third and last painting (above) I bought from the same shop in Worcester.   I had always had a soft spot for white geese and when I saw this I fell in love with it.  The artist called it "The Three Graces", a title which I've occasionally borrowed for a blog post when I have shared a photograph I thought was appropriate.    I had quite a time carrying them on the airplane when I eventually went back home but I didn't want to put them in the cargo hold.  I managed!


The village scene above is unknown to me.  I found it years later when I drove by a shop - and did a quick u-turn - called The English Cottage in Manassas.  When I stepped inside it was like being home again, and it reminded me of my village in Devon, the church looked very similar.  Little did I know years later when I practically fell into a job working in a small British gift shop and tea room, that the owner of that place had also once been the owner of The English Cottage.   It is no longer in existence and closed some time ago but I still have my print to remember it by.


Now, the picture above isn't actually a print but a photograph I took when Gregg and I visited family in North Dakota.  I turned it into  a 'painting' with the special effects on my Paint Shop Pro.  This was one of the old programs and I loved how it turned out.  When I lost it in a computer crash I bought a new PSP, but, I have as not yet been able to create the same effect.  Still working on that!


Above you can see the old Spanish Mission, the Mission Basilica San Diego de Acala.  It was one of a pair that I bought from the same artist just before we left San Diego for Virginia.  The other was the Hotel Del Coronado.  I would have shown it here but I couldn't get a decent shot of it and there was no way I was taking it off the wall today.  It would have taken forever.   Funny thing is that it wasn't until years later that I actually got to see the mission, when I tagged along on one of Gregg's business trips in September 2010 and we both got to see it for the first time.  I posted those photos here.


Here is another, Mission San Carlos Borromeo del rio Carmelo, also known as the Carmel Mission.  Back in the early 80s, Gregg went to the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey.  Again, when we knew we were leaving, I visited the gift shop inside the school and bought this off the artist.  Carmel is the next town over and we visited often, especially loving walking along the beach.  Here again, never saw the actual mission but you've got to save something for the next time right?  A good excuse to go back.

The one of the steps is again an actual photograph that I turned into another painting, in a different style to the other.  I never have been able to recreate the technique since I lost that first program.  You can find those steps at the Norfolk Botanical Garden, Norfolk, Virginia.


I couldn't fit the frame in no matter how often I tried so this one comes without the frame.  More geese, of the Canada Goose variety.  I used to frequent a small shop in Occoquan and actually sold Christmas ornaments I had made to the owner.  One day when I was dropping off a box of ornaments, she was sitting with the gentleman who was the artist of this Canada Geese and they were drinking a cup of coffee.  I was asked to join them and I chatted to the man about his art.  He had several that I had greatly admired, this one in particular.  After he left I mentioned that I loved this particular print and the lady and I negotiated a deal, a box of ornaments for the print.  I thought it was a very good deal.


The last print I have absolutely no memory of where I bought it.  All I remember is seeing it, loving it and wanting to buy it for our guest room, which we were still decorating not having been in our new home for very long.  I have always been captivated by the Amish way of life and this scene was so inviting and look, there are those white geese in the picture.  I left the shop with it under my arm.


This little piece of folkart is also in our guest room.  In those days I sold my ornaments mostly at craft shows, and I often bought items from fellow crafters.  This Amish Scene came from a lady who had a table across from mine.  We enjoyed chatting during the down times and at the end of the day we bought each others wares.


23 comments:

  1. I love your artwork choices and it was nice hearing some of the wonderful stories with them.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting post Denise. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your Dad was a Bobby , cool ! Lovely post and prints ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have a beautiful collection. perhaps it is the tug of the midwestern states, but my favorite was the hay field photo you treated w/ a painting effect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way you discribed when your dad was a Bobby and where it reminded me of the British TV series Heartbeat which I love and have the entire series .I am sure you have seen it or heard of the show , it was based in the 60s .

    ReplyDelete
  6. everything that hangs on our walls has meaning. most are photographs i have taken and places we have visited. i wished i had realized this value at a younger age!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing your treasures, Denise


    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral

    >< } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice that you can always look in on this post in future. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise, I loved seeing all of your artwork. I can tell how much each of them mean to you... That is just so special. I can't pick a favorite ---so I'll just say that they ALL are wonderful!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was fun! I like seeing your collection and hearing the stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think my favorite is of the three white geese. I do love how all your art work has lovely memories attached to them. We've collected art work on our travels and I can remember where we bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I loved the virtual tour of some of the walls in your home. And geese are great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like art too, Denise, and have collected quite a few works for the walls of my living room, family room, and master bedroom. When the other two bedrooms are renovated, I'll buy more art for those walls.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was lovely looking at your pictures, Denise, and I was thrilled to see pictures of home... well almost home. The one of Pershore brought back many memories, Devon and Worcester too. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I`m loving your treasures and the stories behind them - they evoke lots of happy memories I`m sure x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Denise, I loved all of your art collection. It is nice that each one has a special memory for you. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Denise, I loved taking your walk down memory lane regarding your artwork. The pieces are fabulous and many are ones that I would acquire myself if I had the chance -- they speak to me.

    You just gave me a great idea for my Saturday Snapshots. I have several favorite pieces of art which I may begin to profile as well, as I've been running out of photos over the winter...LOL

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very nice collection, the first Amish almost looks like a Buckley Moss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post. I'm also in the habit of collecting paintings of places I've lived or visited. I had many childhood holidays in the Torbay area of Devon - beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have really enjoyed looking at your collection Denise. I was very impressed with your painted effect of the field.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed looking at your paintings and was fascinated in how many memories each pice has for you. A great way to collect pictures. I have friends who always buy a piece when they are on holidays. Actually we have two, one from tasmania and one from Western Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing these collections, all paintings are so nice and many of them seem to invite for a stroll...
    ...inside!
    :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are truly wonderful, and I enjoyed seeing them very much! I also was delighted learning about the acquisition of each! I love to collect paintings, prints and photographs, and I have far too many than my walls will hold. But, they aren't of the places we have lived, and you made me regret not having done more of that over the years! It's just a wonderful collection of prints, paintings and photos!

    ReplyDelete