Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Back to Huntsman's Lake and did we see the Bald Eagle?

Well yes we did but don't get too excited now.  


Gregg and I were there around 4.30 p.m. last Saturday, to see if we could see the Bald Eagles that we had been hearing about.  I went with no expectations but after about half an hour I looked up and there he was.


He was way, way up there and after a while, as our eyes got adjusted, we could make out the white head and those beautiful white tail feathers.  Gregg did a great job of taking these shots as the zoom will only go so far. I cropped several photos and this one was about as close and as clear as I could get, but we both agreed that the experience of seeing that beautiful bird was enough, and we were thankful that we had some kind of record of the first time we had seen Bald Eagles in our part of Virginia.  


We eventually needed to get home but these guys stayed on.  I have to say I had a little camera/lens envy as I left.  They were focused on the lake and were probably waiting for feeding time.  I wished them luck and who knows, maybe these beautiful Bald Eagles will stay around long enough to build a nest in the trees on the other side of the lake, and maybe next time we go back we'll get a closer look at them and their babies.   Now that would be something.


I am keeping my fingers crossed.

21 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Such a delight to see these lovely birds.I travel a lot just to get a glimpse where I am living now.my best count on the 2 mile stretch going to my other home was 101.

gigihawaii said...

What magnificent wings! Awesome sight, Denise. I have never seen eagles in person so your pics will have to do for now.

Gattina said...

I wonder why its called "bald eagle" it still has feathers on its head, lol !
Beautiful pictures btw !

The Elephant's Child said...

Fingers crossed for a closer view next time. It would have been an amazing experience anyway. Envy.

diane b said...

That must have been an exciting moment and your photo records are very good for first time. They are majestic birds.

Valerie said...

How lucky is that? I am green with envy, Denise. I like the picture of the photographers - that's some camera the guy had.

Abraham Lincoln said...

Wow. I envy you your good fortune.

Linda G. said...

I remember the first eagle I saw. It was circling above our house, way above our house. I snapped a few pictures and, after severe cropping, got a photo similar to yours. You got a great photo, Denise. I like the collage of photos too. I get lens envy, too, when I see photographers with the large lenses. Imagine carrying that lens every where though!

Shaun_ShutterBug said...

I don't know what i am more dumbfounded by, the bald eagle or that guys lens. That must have some serious telephoto power.

Beautiful images of an iconic bird !!

Jane and Chris said...

What a fabulous experience, and clever Gregg being able to get those shots!
Jane x

grammie g said...

HI Denise...Wow..to you ..what an amazing thrill to see the bird that stands for America's national symbol...
How great that you had the opportunity and it was still there ..your photos are great something I sure you are very pleased to have!!
The Bald Eagles nest not far from me but, we see them,but there is a lot of woods to get where the nest is from what I have been told. They are never close enough in flight for me to get anything other than a dot!! : } lol.
Congrat's
Grace

jabblog said...

How exciting, Denise.

Barry took a photo of a Bald Eagle many years ago - it's barely discernible as a blob in the sky but he was pleased to have seen it and'captured' it.

I hope they will stay around and make their homes there.

imac said...

Great work Denise - what a big one they have lol.

Marie said...

Wow! I agree with that lens envy!!!! I just need a new camera, period! You can tell by all my "close-ups" that mine doesn't get too close. But, I LOVE your photos of the eagle! What a nice treat to finally see him! And thanks for your comments on my last two posts, too!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi, Sorry I haven't been around this week. We have been traveling and taking more photos... Hope you are having a great week.

Glad you finally got to see the eagles... Awesome!!! Love that picture (next to the last one).... WOW!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Cloudia said...

exciting Denise!



Warm Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Kay said...

We went out on a boat to see eagles when we were in Alaska. We didn't come close to what you got to see. Wow! These are fabulous!

eileeninmd said...

Congrats on your eagle sighting, Denise! I hope they stay and build a nest, that would be really cool for you to go back and see. The cropped photos look great.

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Must have been a wonderful experience. As you say, you may well have an even better view in the future.

Janie said...

Beautiful shot of the eagle! I hope you get a chance to see the nest and the eaglets.

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh fabulous photos! I have never seen one in flight, either.