Monday, January 23, 2012

We've come a long way.....

We still have an old typewriter somewhere down in our basement.  It belonged to Gregg, a Hermes.  I learned to type on something like this one below, in the grand scheme of things not so long ago really but 42 years does sound like a very long time but good grief, was it really 42 years ago?  


Now I don't know what I would do without my laptop but even this is becoming old hat as I read up on what else is out there.   Even the spell checker is going to become obsolete but do you remember the first time you discovered you had one and that the days of 'white-out' were gone?

Spell chequer
by
Martha Snow

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.


One day we won't even have a spell checker.  We will just be able to talk to our computers and it will answer us back.  There is a program out there that actually does that.  No doubt it will become a better conversationalist than we are.

Did you ever see Star Trek IV?  Remember the scene when Scotty tried to talk to the computer?    I think I'm going to watch it again as it was my all time favorite Star Trek movie, when the crew of Enterprise went back in time.  Very amusing and even my non-Star-Trek loving hubby enjoyed it and as we all know, a lot of the space-age stuff they used years ago on the show have already come to pass, and now even talking computers.  To see the wonderful scene I am talking about you can go here.

21 comments:

  1. I am frightened at the concept of a PC talking to me. I sm sure it would argue.
    We have not one but two typewriters here. Dinosaurs we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an ancient typewriter in the attic,can't bring myself to get rid of it,I doubt I could get an ink tape for it now even if I wanted to.
    The poem was fun,put a smile on my face this morning.
    My friend has a phone that talks to her,she asks it to give her a weather report and it tells her,amazing technology.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught myself to touch-tyle on a much older machine in 1958. After that we had a little portable Olympic on which (with great difficulty) I typed the Prof's Phd. thesis and an Msc. Maths thesis to earn some money. Both in quadruplicate with carbon paper . . .
    I never want to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learnt on a sit up and beg typewriter, too. PCs are so much easier.
    I loved the spell checker poem - very funny. It proves that you have to have some basic spelling skills, just as you need basic maths before you start relying on a calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Technology is a wonderful thing.

    I remember those typewriters so well. Bet I couldn't use one now though. The poem is great, I must share it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and photo .My youngest son collects old typewriters. I dont go to far with all the technolgy, for one it gets expensive and two it all isnt what its cut up to be, like the Blackberry for instance it came out and everyone had to have one except for me and now they do nothing but complain about them and are sending them in for repairs ! I am quite happy with what I have, PC and lap top . I dont understand why people have to keep getting more electronics and cant just be happy and thankful for what they do have as that could all be gone one day ! Just the way I was raised ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned on an old cluncker ( in1981),remember white out (Tippex),and used Gestetner machines.Whatever happened to blotting paper?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED that poem. And congrats. It's hard to purposely spell words wrong. I actually do not ever want to have to talk to a computer. I actually absolutely love to type. Can you imagine working in a room with lots or PC's or laptops and everybody is talking to their machines? Yuck! :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been a long time since I used a typewriter.fun little poem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great poem! My daughter and SIL will keep me in the loop as far as what is new in the tech world. If it were up to me, I'd know nothing and have nothing! My first typewriter is downstairs and was purchased with the proceeds from a "surprise" calf that my dad let me keep and feed. We had feedlot animals that were not supposed to have calves! But, coming home from Cheyenne Frontier Days, we found "Cheyenne" in the corral.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  11. Times---they are a-changin'.... I remember those old typewriters also. I think the one my Dad had was an Underwood....

    Technology moves much faster than I do... I 'try' to keep up but it's hard--especially as I get older and slower... ha

    Thanks for the memories.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that poem! Yes, I remember those manual typewriters; my mom had one but they had just graduated to electric when I took typing as a freshman in 1964...thank goodness. I never could get the hang of the manuals...I was always mangling the keys together. One thing I will never miss is carbon copies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have an electric typewriter somewhere. Those were the days, thank goodness we have computers now.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the thrill of my first typewriter, a portable. Still weighed a ton though.
    I love the poem. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it to pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The day - that Machines take over the World draws nearer.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post and a cute poem, Denise! Hubby and I had a scare once, when one of my son's teachers told us we shouldn't worry about Brian's spelling. The teacher said in later school years the computer would be doing the spell checking. We were shocked. My hubby's favorite show was Star Trek. have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It wil be great for people who do not have the use of their hands/arms. I believe they are already invented. keep your eye on the cell phone, they are going to take over all technology. You can already use it for: email, internet, blog, banking, boarding pass and shopping.
    We will probably wear them on our wrist like Dick Tracy. I never learnt to use a typewriter unfortunately so now I am a two finger keyboarder.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still trying to get used to talking to Siri on my iPhone. I still...honest... actually have White Out in my desk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bob's Windows phone has the capability for him to speak into it and leave (and receive) text messages. I have yet to get used to it. I always say "what?"

    ReplyDelete
  20. That poem is a hoot! So so true! I don't care for touching a screen, but prefer to "type." I find myself becoming such an old-timer when I see what my kids and grandchild are used to!

    ReplyDelete