Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Walking around Washington DC

These are from when we were in the city a few weekends ago.   On leaving the Botanic Garden we walked in front of The Capitol Building first and then made our way down towards the Natural History Museum.


We have often passed the statue of James Abram Garfield.


He was the 20th President of the United States.   


There is a biography on The White House website which you can read if you click here.


This is another lovely statue we walked by.  It is a memorial and on its base it reads, "In memory of the officers, seamen and marines of the United States Navy, who fell in defence of the Union and liberty of their country, 1861-1865.


The face on the right is being worn away by the weather.


You can read about this statue here.


We often see people making their way around the monuments on a Segway Tour. If you ever find yourself in DC and would like to see the sights this way, go here to find out more.


Of course you can also take a tour on a double-decker bus....


and if you click here it will take you to their site.


You can see the Reflecting Pool in front of the Capitol.


Whenever we have been there we have found a few ducks....


and seagulls enjoying themselves.  People do feed them and they eyed us hopefully but we didn't have anything for them.


Right now there is a lot of digging going on along the Mall and not too far away from this photo is a real eyesore, huge mounds of dirt, construction vehicles and so on.  I read a sign which read: "National Mall and Memorial Parks is restoring the Mall lawn and making other improvements between 3rd Street and 7th Street.  The work includes the installation of engineered soil medium to resist soil compaction, durable turf varieties and granite edging.  New sustainable systems to improve soil drainage and collect stormwater for irrigation will reduce the use of potable water and help improve regional water quality.  This contract work is to be completed by December 2012."  Well, I suppose it has to be done but if you are planning on visiting DC this summer be prepared for a lot of construction near some of your favorite monuments.  Not good for taking photos but there's always cropping.  And, this city is so beautiful anyway, I would not let this put me off.


This isn't too far from the rabbit I talked about in my other post here.   In fact, if you enlarged the photo you can just make out his outline on the right of the pyramid.  He's pretty well camouflaged with those trees behind him.   This sculpture is called the Four-Sided Pyramid and you can read about it here.


Now, this is outside the Natural History Museum.   Its marker reads in part: "Petrified Wood, Araucarioxylon Arizonicum Knowlton, Triassic Period.  About 200 million years old.  Found near Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona."  As is most often the case, more impressive to see it with your own eyes than in a photograph.


Little boy momentarily having a mildly rebellious moment.  His parents were just out of the photo, trying to urge him to move on.  Couldn't help but smile, by this time we had walked a very long way and I was beginning to feel my feet.


Popularly known as The Castle, this building is actually The Smithsonian Institutional Building that houses the Smithsonian's administrative offices and the Smithsonian Information Center.   You can read more here.


Another way to tour the city, on your bike.


The 1947 Allan Herschell Carousel is nearby.  We took our son on it when he was a little boy.  If you go to this post link and look at the second photo down, you can see how he was voicing his objections at having been taken off after a couple of trips around.  I'm sure he would have been quite content to spend the whole day riding those horses.


Time to go home and we are now walking back to the parking garage.


I stopped in the middle of the street for a few seconds to take this photo.  No cars were coming either way just in case you were wondering.


By this time we had crossed the Potomac and were now in Virginia.


One last photo of the sky and all the contrails left from passing airplanes.

20 comments:

  1. Certainly some visit my friend, love the Capitol Building, such majestic place to visit.
    Great shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your guided tours, Denise. The pleasure you find is infectious - thank you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I don't need to visit D.C. in person because of the many tours you have given us via your blog. Mahalo, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos and post thanks for taking us along ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great day in Washington, DC. Haven't been there since I was a little girl! (Golly, almost 50 years ago...that's so unseemly). It was nice to visit and not have to leave my chair. Thanks for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise, I've said this before ---but you are so fortunate to live close to Washington DC.... Love your pictures. I've been a few times --but would love to live close enough to go more often... WOW!!!!!

    Thanks.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had a good time visiting the sights, We are off to London tomorrow flying visit to take our son to see a car. Hmmmmmmm why he cant buy one local I dont know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've said this before, but your Washington DC posts make me want to visit DC. I wouldn't let the construction put me off either. I remember visiting DC one year when the Washington Monument was blocked off, a short while after 9-11.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tour Denise!
    I loved my visit to DC back in the 80's. Hope to one day take my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw your first shot I was struck by the brilliant cleanliness of the building and wondered how they keep it like that. Guess they have to do maintenance sometime, so was amused when later on you can upon maintenance works. Thanks for a great post and glimpes of Washington I've never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to visit DC another time. It has been 25 years since my one visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was younger we lived in New York and I remember taking the Greyhoud bus to Washington DC with my father. What a great trip, I still have a picture we took in front of the White House. Thanks for the memories. I am following from Rome, Italy, but I am Sicilian.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Washington is definitely on our bucket list. I can't believe I haven't been there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I've seen and been at every one of those photos. I love downtown Washington DC but not when it is hot. And those blocks are at least five miles long each. Or my feet think so. So much to see in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One more way to take the tour is on your blog. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Lots of interesting info and images here.
    Thanks Denise and for the nostalgic link to the beautiful English Rose.{:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for taking me on my second tour of WA. The first one was more exciting because I was with you in real life. I'll never forget. Is the the pool between the Washington Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial finished yet?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Denise, you would be a great tour guide. What a wonderful tour of DC. Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Denise,
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful picture of Washington DC, I love the pictures of the sculptures, you are very very talented with your camera!
    wow
    :)
    Léia

    ReplyDelete