Thursday, January 5, 2012

United States Botanic Garden - Washington DC - Part 2


I forget what this area is called but it does have some interesting exhibits in here.  The first thing that took my attention were the flowers and plants again, especially as they were still dressed up for the season.


You can just about make out my outline when I took this photo.




Gregg took some really neat  photos of the mini terrarium-type ornaments.




It was very interesting to see living plants inside them.  I learned that a terrarium is a miniature landscape with living plants and even sometimes small animals like lizards or turtles.  I might add there were no lizards or turtles staring down at us, nope, no animals of any kind, just plants.....


though I did take a close look at this one.  It was huge in comparison, placed on the floor in a corner and about two feet around, full of the prettiest poinsettias.


These large 'sunflowers' had a screen in the center showing a movie.  Sorry to say I am not sure what of but it had to do with the plants in the exhibit.




We both enjoyed the displays of metal flowers.






These were showing how flowers and fauna were used, symbolism, art, etc.


I'm loving all the metal sculptures of flowers.  I liked this shot of Gregg's and I enjoy seeing things from his perspective,  even if it's of some batty person focused on the viewer of her camera.  Yes that's me.


The topiary bear was again in a different area and I thought he was wonderful.  



I also enjoyed the 'cardinals'.




and again the decorations that the bear is holding.




It was wonderful seeing all the flowers blooming and we took many photos of them which I will be sharing soon.  

14 comments:

  1. I loved the topiary bear and the mini terrariums. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What gorgeous photos! Everything is so interesting. Those little terrariums are fascinating. This is such an original garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, it looks like a beautiful garden to visit. The decorations are pretty and the terrariums are really cool. I love the cute topiary bear too. I would love to see those metal flowers poking around in my garden. Wonderful post and photos. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting pictures, Denise.
    It's ages since I saw a terrarium. I fancied keeping one in the house but never got round to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been surprised how plants can live in a terrarium. The decorations in the gardens is a lovely idea and the metal flower sculptures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finds, I enjoyed the topiary. We had a cardinal come in and nest in a lab 7 floors up in a botany building while i was in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Denise. Makes me want to go back to the conservatory at Biltmore... Love those little Cardinals they added.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The header is really moving... Feels like gently "biting" those little fingers... :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous photos. Wow what a bright red Cardinal. The bulb terrariums looked fantastic. Really wonderful photos.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of the pictures look great. I love the topiary bear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting everyone. I hope you're all having a great start to the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photos of some truly lovely and interesting decorations, sculptures and plants!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, beautiful photos from the Botanic Garden, both in this post and in Part 1.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete