Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The United States Botanic Garden - Part 1

There was a separate entrance for the model train exhibit at the garden but as we were more interested in the flowers and when we saw that long line, we headed to the other entrance.

Once inside we found a Thomas the Train making its way around the large Christmas tree.  There were lots of children watching as it disappeared into a tunnel behind the tree, eagerly awaiting for it to appear again on the other side.  






This is a replica of the Bartholdi Fountain which you can learn more about if you click here.  It is on the grounds of the Capitol.  It's designer - Frederic Auguste Bartholdi - later designed the Statue of Liberty.

Even though we are past the holiday I don't think I will ever get tired seeing these beautiful poinsettias.  

There are different colors, ones I don't normally get to see in the stores.


You'll probably recognize the banana plant.  About a year after planting it forms a flower.  They can be huge and will hang down pointing to the ground.  The flower has flaps that will open upward in series over many weeks.  As each flap opens it develops cup-like flowers.  If you pick one you will find it is full of nectar.  

I recognized this replica straight away.  It is of the Albert Einstein statue.  

The real one is on the grounds of the National Academy of Sciences on Constitution Avenue, on the other side of the street from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  Gregg was in the city last week and someone had dressed him in a Santa Claus Hat, though when we drove by this day it had been removed. This is a very quick shot as we drove by.  Click here to see a better photograph and more information.

We enjoyed the replicas of various landmarks around the city made out of plant materials, starting off with The Capitol.




The Lincoln Memorial




The Smithsonian Castle


 Even one of the botanic garden.


The National Museum for the American Indian

And finally the Washington Monuement

More from the garden later.

14 comments:

Marilyn said...

I've never wanted to travel east, but you are making it a new wish of mine! Thanks for sharing all these sites. Christmas time and trains go together so well. My husband used to like building the tracks to go around the tree of his childhood toy train. Someday maybe I'll have some grand babies and will want to bring it out again.♥♫

Linda Reeder said...

Those are cool models of the mall buildings.

The Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. Botanical gardens the world over are a delight. Looking forward to the next tour you take us on.

gigihawaii said...

Nice post, Denise! Lots to see and do over there! I am envious.

Janie said...

We saw the Botanical Garden train show in NYC last year, and it looked similar. You got much better photos, though.
Happy New Year!

Sunray Gardens said...

What beautiful photos and settings. Thanks for sharing them since that's the only way I would get to see them.
Cher Sunray Gardens

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Wow---that is awesome, Denise.. I would have loved to have seen that in person. Love all of the Poinsettias..

Hugs,
Betsy

KaHolly said...

What a fun place to visit, Denise!! I haven't been there since I was a young girl. Great shots! Happy New Year! ~karen

MarieElizabeth said...

What fun! Definitely one of my favorite places in the area to visit. I've never made it this time of year, but now it's on my list for next year.

Cloudia said...

what a jolly trip!



Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Marie said...

All I can say is WOW! I am so impressed with the way the displays had been created and prepared for this special time. They are all so beautiful, and the organic sculptures so amazing! Maybe we should plan that "one of these days" trips to coincide with the Botanic Garden Christmas displays! By the way, there is a section of herb garden in the Botanic Garden there dedicated to Madeleine Hill, who I happen to know. She is an amazingly knowledgeable herbalist who lives and works at The Festival Institute at Round Top, Texas where I used to work. The gardens at "Festival Hill" were always really something! I would love to see the herbal garden in D.C. planted in her honor.

Linda G. said...

I was telling Bob the other day that a trip to Washington, D.C. would be nice. We haven't been there in a few years. Now, I would like to make TWO trips to Washington, D.C.: one trip in warm weather and a second trip at Christmastime so that I can see this lovely exhibit!

Janet said...

Look forward to seeing the next installment -that was fab ! xx

Jean said...

Sorry...but this was way too long for me.
Wishing you well Denise.