Thursday, January 26, 2012

Huntsman's Lake


Yesterday I made my way over to Huntsman's Lake as two Bald Eagles had been spotted in the area.  On this outing I did not see any but I will be going back again the weekend, and to Lake Mercer nearby where four more have been sighted.


There were several of us who were on the look-out and everyone was only too willing to give helpful information.  One man had been able to take some great photos of them fishing the day before, but he had had no luck today so far.


This lady was with her husband, grandson and great dane, a puppy!  


Just beautiful!  So, no there were no eagles today but I thoroughly enjoyed spotting this beauty of a dog.


Any luck?  No, not yet, plenty of seagulls though.


I have just found out about Huntsman's Lake, a happy discovery as it is a real pretty area.


The sun was in the wrong direction and I discovered once again how important lighting is in photography, but it made for some pretty effects as the sunlight bounced off the lake making it sparkle.   


I was very surprised to see so many seagulls, there must have been a hundred of them, very active and flying over the lake.
















If you look closely you can see the reflection of a seagull in this one, hard to spot I know.




Time to move on and get home before rush hour traffic.   I said goodbye to the great dane and his family....


and on the way home I took photos of things and places I had passed by a thousand times.


It was a pretty day but still cold enough for these horses to be wearing their winter gear.


Notice the baskbetball net in the church parking lot?  Ready and waiting.


No eagle sighting today but a nice trip out nonetheless.

16 comments:

  1. What a truly beautiful spot. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - looks like a good place to visit and visit and visit!

    I wonder if the lack of eagles and the presence of the Great Dane were linked in some way!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise, it is a pretty lake and I am sure the eagles would love it there. I just love that Great Dane m what a handsome dog. Wonderful photos. Good luck on any future eagles sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you found Huntsman's Lake, it means more lovely pictures for us to look at. Isn't that Great Dane a beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always great to find something new.

    I'm proud of you for making great use of the "wrong" sun angle.

    What a nice glass blackboard for th church parking lot. It looks like the surface slopes a lot. I'd be shooting from the left side of the "court."

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great place to find. Love your header pic. It looks a cold day. BTW we didn;t get to see the train museum in Washington. We just weren't there long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once upon a time I was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and decided to take a ride down the Snake River on one of those boats they have. Incredible beauty and eagle nests everywhere. Must have been the right time of year. They are such beautiful birds. It pains me when some fool kills one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be great if you do get some shots of the Eagles. I love the Great Dane he is huge and only going to get bigger. And I like that white little shed I wish I could get out to our shed but now I cant go up or down stairs and we have steps on the back of the house out to the garden. A man needs a shed, oh well. XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fun day at a lovely area. They do come to open water but best to catch them early in the day.When they roost it can be hard too see them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise, You need to go the first thing in the morning... You might see them then...

    What a gorgeous lake --and what a nice walk/trip on a pretty 'winter'??? day... Mild winter for you too????

    Great pictures.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful place to have so close to home....
    To spot a bald eagle, that would be magnificent !
    The lake is surrounded by such beauty, I love the little log cabin, it made me smile ;)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you think the dog had anything to do with the lack of eagles?
    maybe.....Your photos are lovely..I enjoyed them all...I saw a Bald eagle about a month ago...just sitting on a low branch near the river....I couldn't stop...but I wished I could have to photograph him
    but I think...dogs..no birds

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to connect with nature even when it looks bleak. Great photos, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great place for a hike and to bird watch, Denise. Hope you get lucky this weekend and spot some eagles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. Loooks about as cold in Virginia as it is in Ohio LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I enjoyed your walk about and just loved that Great Dane. O how I miss my doggy!
    The shots over the water certainly made it look clear & cold. Home for a hot toddy eh?
    JJ

    ReplyDelete