Monday, January 30, 2012

Great advice....

This goes along with my general philosophy in life.  My parents tried to teach me these things as I grew and without me knowing at the time, those seeds were planted.  I now understand what they were trying to teach me.  One of the joys of getting older, a little wisdom seems to follow.  

If you give in to the disapproval of others, you’ll simply encourage them to disapprove even more. If you fight against their disapproval, that will also cause their disapproval to grow stronger.

Your most effective response is to gently accept the disapproval, then let it go and move forward. That strategy will dilute and dispense with the resistance you encounter faster than anything else.

Stop needing the approval of others, and you’ll receive more approval and support than ever. Live each moment from your own inspiration, not from your desire to look good in the eyes of others.

You can be exceptionally kind, loving, giving and respectful without being a slave to the opinions of others. Accept that other people will disapprove of some things you do, and you’ll free yourself to do truly magnificent things.

Your great value does not derive from the approval of others. You are entirely worthy and able to give much to life, regardless of what anyone else may think.

Graciously and enthusiastically accept that others will disapprove, no matter what you do. And delight in the freedom of doing whatever you know is right for you.

Ralph Marston

23 comments:

The Elephant's Child said...

That is very true. And, I regret to say, easier said than done. For me at least.

diane b said...

Very sound advice but maybe a tad hard to follow at times. It is easier as you mellow and grow older. Who cares what people think?

Cloudia said...

Is that your Dad's?

Quite wise and wonderful.

Thank You



Warm Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

matron said...

This is very good advice,but it is still upsetting to me,when I have have done my best and someone criticizes my efforts.I have got a more tolerant as I have got older,but still feel taken for granted by some people.
Carolyn

Lui said...

Oh I agree,Denise!
We can not be a slave to other people's opinion of us.

Btw, after I saw your monkey photos I saw the movie Kingkong on TV and before I knew it, I was crying buckets. Somehow KK reminded me of Sumo like your monkey photos did. Oh, how can I miss someone who is still there?

Jane and Chris said...

I wish that I had been told that when I was younger...it took me until my forties to figure that out.
Jane x

ashok said...

hmmm, so true!

imac said...

True words my friend, and a great shot to go with them too.

Arija said...

So true and such great advice Denise. Sorry I did not get around to visiting anyone in Today's Flowers. I spent all day with a blog acquaintance photographing them instead.

Hugs . . . Arija

Linda Reeder said...

It looks like the first response of many others is like my own "Easier said than done". But a closer look indicates that words like "lovingly" and "graciously" indicate that first one's own actions have to be above reproach, and then you can dismiss differences of opinion. Food for thought.

Kay said...

Good post.

Janet said...

Wise words- I think you learn these things the older you get -and yes I wised I had realized this and lived by it when I was much younger but then I was a lot less confident !

Shaun_ShutterBug said...

Good solid advise, and a cracking photo to suit. Excellent

Sara said...

Excellent advice...yes, I agree about a little wisdom. Looking back, sometimes I can't believe how clueless I was about many things!

grammie g said...

Hi Denise...I'm catching up : } been sick with a flu bug!
Love the photo and wonderfully written advise, but oh so easy to get in that hurting trap,but I am so much better at saying I don't care..and meaning it !!
Grace

Gill - That British Woman said...

food for thought,

Gill

Marie said...

Some very, very good advice!

Susan said...

Great post Denise. Susan

betchai said...

very wise, and very true, it's so hard and stressful I believe if you are imprisoned to a happiness that seeks others approval of you.

squirrelmama said...

Fine thoughts.....with equally inspiring photographs. Thank you!

Kay said...

This is good advice for all of us to follow. Even as we get older, we could still use this reminder. Thank you, Denise.

jabblog said...

If only we could grow up realising the wisdom of these words. However, we can only learn from our own experiences, not other people's.

CameraCruise said...

Beautiful photo and wise words!
Have a great day :O)