Wednesday, January 4, 2012

For my Daughter-in-Law, a late birthday gift of sorts

If you'd have told me several years ago that my dear son would marry a girl as much of a fan of Dr. Who as I am, well, I'm not sure I would have believed it, but it is one of the many, many things about her that makes me oh so happy.  I have only met three Dr. Who fans in the 36 years of living in America.  One was a Brit I worked with years ago.  Hi Alan!  The other was my sweet daughter-in-law and the other was her sister-in-law and also my friend,  Kenzie.  Hi Kenzie!  

Back row: William Hartnell, the original Dr. Who (he will always be my all time favorite, the same way Sean Connery might be your favorite, one-and-only James Bond.  I know he's mine), Patrick Troughton and John Pertwee
Front row: Tom Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Colin Baker and Peter Davidson
I didn't get to see the last four in their roles.

The cake above is one our thoughtful son made his wife on her birthday recently.  It is The Tardis, which stands for "Time and Relative Dimension in Space".  The Tardis can transport its occupant to "any point in time and any place in the Universe."  Don't we wish we all had one of those, no?   Dr. Who's time machine in an old police box, the kind that would pop up on old Victorian movie sets,  in England.  Foggy, dark, sinister nights come to mind.

 My son does not usually bake so I was very impressed.  That's a 'sonic screwdriver' he also gave her.  You have to be a Dr. Who fan to get that one.   Son and daughter-in-law tell me that Dr. Who is becoming wildly popular with a new generation over here.

Today's post is  for you Lisa and can't tell you enough how happy we are that you married our son.

Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant, both superb.

All I need to know, I learned by watching Dr. Who.

Don't be afraid to dress conspicuously.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."  - The Doctor "Robot".
Be polite to strangers - offer them a jelly baby.
Face bureaucracy with sarcasm.
Bad guys always wear black (unless you're my father-in-law or Johnny Cash).

Almost any problem can be solved by reversing the polarity of the neutron flow.
Never trust anyone with a sinister beard and a high collar.
When in doubt, bang the console.
Nearly anyone will fall for the really big lie at some point.  (Not that I'm encouraging it or anything).
If it glows, avoid it.  (I'm encouraging that!)
The gravel quarries are not what they seem.


Bad guys will not see you if you stand really close to the wall, even if they walk right past you.
All the aliens speak with British accents.
All alien planets have corridors somewhere.
There's nothing the sonic screwdriver can't handle (apart from a voice activated lock).
Every alien planet has open cast mining.
"When I say run, RUN!" - The Doctor (It's not practical to reference all the stories this one came from).
"Everyone remotely interesting is mad in one way or another." - The Doctor "Greatest Show in the Galaxy).
"Somewhere else the Tea's getting cold." - The Doctor "Survival".
The worst won't happen if you do something immensely clever.
"Humans have an amazing capacity for self-deception." - The Doctor "Remembrance of the Daleks."

If you're so clever, follow me up the stairs.
Your best weapons are your mind, your scarf and your brolly (Brit for umbrella).
"I am the master, you will obey me." - The Master (Another one that is impractical to reference).
However bad it may be, it'll all blow up in the last scene.
Companions may come and go, but your K9 is forever.

"I'm HAPPY!" - The Doctor "Happiness Patrol."
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - the Doctor "Megolos."

The latest Dr. Who, Matt Smith.  He had big shoes to fill and personally speaking I think he is doing a great job!
You can find out all about Dr. Who right here.

14 comments:

jabblog said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter-in-law:-)

Sara said...

Hi Denise, thanks for all this amazing Dr. Who information. The only Dr. Who I know is Christopher Eccleston...a few years ago they were showing Dr. Who on PBS and I became utterly fascinated with that particular series....so I suppose I could be called a potential Dr. Who fan! And I surely would love a tardis of my very own...yes indeed!

Lyn said...

I have not always been a fan but have love the last three doctors.
xxx

Country Gal said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter in law ! And you'll be happy to know that Papa and I are also DR Who watchers have seen all of them past and present ! Hope you have a great day !

Jane and Chris said...

Things I learned from Dr Who
1)Always take a banana to a party.
2)Walk around as though you own the place, it always works for me.

Both delivered by the divine David Tennant.
When I was a child I decided that I would live in a flat/apartment when I grew up. That way, when the daleks invaded, we'd cut the electicity to the lifts/elevators and we'd all be safe. Imagine my grown up horror to learns that daleks can now FLY!!!
Jane x

Janet said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter in law !
Never been a Dr Who fan but I have always loved Star Trek from the early days with William Shatner- now he floats my boat ! hmm

Out on the prairie said...

I used to watch faithfully years ago.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great post Denise and Happy Birthday to your daughter in law. Very impressed by her cake too. I haven't seen Dr Who for years really, only glimpses. My favourites were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker but I have to agree with you that Matt Smith is superb. I watched the Christmas episode and will probably watch him again.

imac said...

Ha-ha, a fan of Dr Who,who? lol.
Ive got a few shots from Dr Who, from a showing of cars and stuff.

gigihawaii said...

Belated happy birthday to your DIL, Denise. And I had never heard of Dr. Who until I read your post today.

Linda G. said...

Happy birthday to your daughter-in-law! I have a friend who is a great fan of Dr. Who. I am going to send him the link to this blog post. I know he will like it.

Cloudia said...

what a lucky stroke!


Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Linda Reeder said...

How cool that your DIL and you share this interest, one I have never heard of before reading your post.

The Elephant's Child said...

Tom Baker will remain my favorite Doctor Who. And the Tardis cake and the sonic screwdriver are superb presents. What a thoughtful son. Happy belated birthday to your DIL.