Friday, January 20, 2012

Camera Critters

This delightful little critter is the Lubber Grasshopper.  It is a giant, slow moving grasshopper that I found in the live insect exhibit at the Natural History Museum.   Those bright colors tell any predator that what they think of as a tasty little meal, actually contain toxins that will make them very ill. 


If you find one and pick it up, the grasshopper will make a loud hissing noise and secrete an irritating, foul-smelling foamy spray.  These four-inch grasshoppers are too large for most predators, so they don't need to move very fast.   It cannot fly and can only jump short distances.


Despite their relatively large size, lubber grasshoppers usually eat less and cause less damage than their smaller relatives.  Lubber grasshoppers also rarely occur in large enough concentrations to cause significant damage.


Thank you Misty for hosting Camera Critters.
To see other fun critters please click here.

22 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

That is a colorful grasshopper, Denise. Don't think I'd want to pick one up!!!!! ha

Thanks for sharing your 'camera critter'...
Hugs,
Betsy

Cloudia said...

you make all interesting!


Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Valerie said...

I don't think I could bear to touch one of those creatures. They're quite pretty though, from a distance...lol.

diane b said...

Ewwww I thought you were going to say they were in your garden! They are colourful but creepy. hee hee.

eileeninmd said...

Cool looking grasshopper. I did not know there was a live exhibit. I will have to go back and visit again. Great photo, Denise. Have a wonderful weekend!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Okay, now these just gross me out. LOL

Robin said...

What an amazingly colored creature. Not sure I'd want to meet that foam face to face though!

PS Sorry it's taken me so long to come visit, I'm putting out a new line of greeting cards which just went to print this week, and while I was doing it the rest of my life sort of fell into a black hole LOL.

Cezar and Léia said...

Great shots dear Denise. The grasshoppers are busy there, I imagine they are enjoying those leaves a lot! :)
Hugs and a nice weekend,
Léia

Cher' Shots said...

Nice shots ~ but I was glad to read they were confined in a museum.
'hugs from afar'

ShySongbird said...

Hi Denise, it's good to visit again :-) Thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog.

What striking little creatures the grasshoppers are, I don't think we have any as colourful as that here. Your photos of them are lovely.

Linda G. said...

I never heard of this grasshopper. It certainly is colorful!

The Elephant's Child said...

Love it. And I really, really like that it causes less damage than its smaller kin. Size ten people out there - you are destructive!

Lui said...

But it looks so gorgeous, Denise! I should watch out since I love holding critters ;-(

betchai said...

very very interesting and wonderful shots of the grasshoppers, they look like as if they are in deep conference :)

Kate said...

This is an unusual and colorful choice for today. So many beautiful creatures in the animal world!

imac said...

Amazing critters.

Andrew said...

Wow! Denise it's wonderful to see..
Lovely images

Tanya said...

interesting and i love how colorful they are!

Carol said...

Very pretty for a grasshopper. Another of those look but don't touch critters :0)

Pat said...

Colorful critters!

Janie said...

The lubber is colorful. I didn't know it was toxic to predators. It's fascinating the way creatures have evolved with unique defenses that help them to survive.

Misty Dawn said...

Great photos! You don't realize how colorful and detailed grasshoppers are until you take the time to look. Beautiful!