Monday, January 9, 2012

Butterflies and a little ramble....

We have had a lovely weekend.  Saturday we drove down to Richmond for lunch.  Yes we drove two hours south for lunch but, Gregg's brother and his wife drove two hour north so that we could meet up at a tea room half way, and so we were able to enjoy a few hours together.  The weather was lovely and had warmed up to the point we didn't need a coat, the trip down was smooth with no heavy traffic, and we had a very nice get-together, one that we hope to repeat again when the weather is agreeable.  

We gave ourselves a good head start and as Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden is only five minutes away, we dropped in so that I could go through the gift shop to pick up a couple of birthday gifts for a friend.  By the time we joined our family we were right on time.  The tea room also has a gift shop area and I saw a very cute pair of earrings which we gave to our daughter-in-law for a late birthday gift the following day. We walked by an old record shop that Gregg's brother has been in before which stocked hundreds of old vinyl records.  Gregg found a couple of Monkey's albums and as Lisa is a big fan, he bought those to add to her birthday surprises as Brad had also recently given her a record player.     

On the way back we noticed how beautiful the sky was and I got my cell phone out.  



We passed this very cute little dog as we stopped at a traffic light.  I managed to get another quick shot and this and the cloud were the only two I took on the way home as I started to drift off.  Gregg is always ready for a good photo op but because I was half asleep I said maybe we could come back down sometime just for taking photos and he thought that was a great idea, then I promptly went to sleep for a while.  I'm very happy that we share this hobby.  Gregg loves sports, I don't, I love opera, he doesn't but we both have this enjoyment of taking photos.  It has always been a great source of enjoyment seeing one another's results at the end of an outing.  



Sunday Gregg and I did some grocery shopping.  Our son and daughter-in-law were coming over for dinner that evening.  Because of busy schedules we were not able to see Lisa until after her birthday, and we wanted to make this visit a bit extra special.  We bought a birthday cake and had the bakery personalize it.  It certainly didn't come near the very special, home-made one our son made for her, but it was a surprise when we suddenly turned the light out and came out of the kitchen with candles all lit.   What a great evening we had but then we always do when we get together.  


So, that was our weekend.   Now I am sharing a selection of photos taken at The Natural History Museum a couple of weeks ago.  


They were having a butterfly exhibit.









This is a link to an amazing video. You can click here to see it.  The video is incredible and was sent to me by Celia. Thanks Celia!

17 comments:

  1. Thank you Denise - loved the dog photo, and a big thank you to Celia too. That was amazing. I hadn't realised how aggressive hummingbirds could get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The love of opera intrigues me, hard to do out on the prairie.when I write poems it is like an oratorio, a blending of thoughts to change the scene with my prose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet of you to buy a cake and earrings for your DIL and gifts for your friend. You are so thoughtful. I never liked sports til I married David. Never even read the sports section of the newspaper. Lol. But, here I am, an avid sports fan -- all due to osmosis. I'm surprised the same hasn't happened to you and Gregg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dog picture so reminded me of my dog. He always rode in the car with his head out of the window. Enjoyed the video. Thanks again for a lovely post. I do enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely butterful series...clap! clap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED the butterfly pictures!
    Your weekend sounded lovely. We travel quite a ways sometimes to go out for dinner too. That is a good idea meeting in the middle. Perhaps you will get together more often if you continue to meet in the middle. You made your daughter-in-law's birthday special. I'm sure that she liked her cake and presents.
    Our weekend was quiet, but there were a couple highlights that I share on my latest blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the dog photo ! Thank you for sharing the video with us -it was absolutely amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise, Love the butterflies...WOW!!!!!

    Sounds like you had a nice trip to meet with family.. That's a good way to get together with others... That makes driving two hours worth it, doesn't it?????

    Nice dinner and party for your DIL also.... Sounds like a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good time by all it seems Denise, also love the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, it sounds like you had a nice weekend. Gus and I drove north 3 hours to celebrate his Dad's birthday. On the way we did a little birding so it actually took us 5 hours to get there but we had fun. Gus and I are a bit like you and your husband. Our love of photography, art and our children are some of the only things we have in common. It sometimes makes me wonder how we ever got together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Denise...It is nice that you have family to spend time with, enjoying each other, doing special thing ....
    I had a visit from blogger friends of The Frog and the Penguin blog!!
    They where in New Hampshire for a short stay and drove to my home to meet me, I am without a car since my divorcea few years ago!..we had lunch and talked..it was like I had know them forever...

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise, sounds like you had some lovely family visits and also got a couple of road trips in as well. It was so nice of the butterflies to pose for you so you could capture them to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The video was AMAZING! I loved every minute, and want to share it with my hubby, daughter and grandson! Loved the sky photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful butterfly photos! It sounds like you've had some lovely family time lately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You really captured those gorgeous butterflies perfectly. They really sat still for you. Sounds like a fabulous weekend! I've been up to my ears in scanning. I just finished scanning England. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dog photo is so cute. And I love all of the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those beautiful butterflies!

    ReplyDelete