Friday, December 16, 2011

The Vienna Boys Choir


Last night Gregg and I attended a performance given by The Vienna Boys Choir.  I have been listening to them my whole life and when I learned that they were coming to the Hylton Theater Performing Arts Center in Manassas, I couldn't wait to snap up a couple of tickets.  The place was sold out and we both thoroughly enjoyed our evening and judging by the standing ovation at the end, so did the rest of the audience.

I thought I would share a little of their history as written in the pamphlet we were given.  The photo above came off the theater web site.

"Boys have been singing at the court of the Holy Roman Emperor since the early 15th century.  In 1498, more than half a millennium ago, Emperor Maximilian I moved his court and his court musicians to Vienna.  He gave instructions that there were to be six singing boys among his musicians.  Historians have settled on 1498 as the foundation date of the Vienna Hofmusikkapelle and - in consequence - the Vienna Boys Choir.  Until 1918, the choir sang exclusively for the imperial court, at mass, at private concerts and functions, and on state occasions."

You can read the rest of their biography here if you would like to learn more, and I found the following on YouTube.


On our way back home I took a few photos of the holiday lights in the neighborhood.








It's been a week of shopping, writing out Christmas Cards, wrapping up parcels for loved ones, standing in line at the post office to mail them off and chatting to the nice Indonesian gentleman about his trip back home and who has been working there every since I moved here 20 years ago, visiting friends, having friends visit me, and getting the house ready for company next week.  I was late decorating the Christmas Tree but that's all done now.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

14 comments:

gigihawaii said...

Merry Christmas! Ho ho ho!!!

imac said...

Wonderful and very Christmasy.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, Denise I listened to this choir last year, sitting all alone, everyone else in bed, Christmas Eve, and the memories of Christmas growing up in England, came flooding back, as did the tears. Next morning I looked like I had been hit by a bus ;)
They are just simple awesome.
Lovely decorations, your house is just magical !
A very Merry Christmas to you and Greg and family.
Hugs,
~Jo

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I'd go listen to the Boys Choir once, just to experience it.

Your neighborhood has some great lights.

Andrew said...

Wonderful to see and hear Denise... many thanks for sharing.
I hope you have a lovely week and please accept my best wished for Christmas..xx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Denise, Merry Christas to you and Gregg.

Kay said...

Good for you, Denise. I confess I've not gotten to my cards, but then again... I switched to New Years cards last year.

How lucky you are to have gotten the tickets to the Vienna Boys Choir. What a marvelous evening that was!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Oh Wow---I'd love to hear the Vienna Choir Boys... Like you, I've heard of them --and even heard them for years and years... BUT--I've never heard them live... You are so lucky to get to hear them.. I'm envious.
Hugs,
Betsy

Arija said...

What a lovely experience to witness a whole concert!. I have loved them for at least 60 years and enjoyed the video very much. Thank you.

Linda G. said...

If you weren't already in the Christmas spirit, I'm certain that the concert would have gotten you there. I enjoyed listening to the song you found on You Tube.

Patty said...

Beautiful voices. I bet it was nice to see it in person. Thanks for your visits. Sorry I have taken so long to get around. Seems one of us has been keeping a doctor's appointment or something every week. Now I'm also trying therapy for my back. Not sure if it's working or not, I know tonight it's been hurting a lot. But if the weather is getting ready to change I notice it hurts more. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

Marie said...

Sounds like you are almost ready! This week our daughter's birthday has been part of the preparations, and next week will be our grandson's, so this is always a BUSY time! But I love it! Thanks for the wonderful post on the Vienna Boy's Choir, as well. I really didn't know anything about them.

Margaret Cloud said...

I have heard this choir and they are very good, thanks for the history.

Barbara said...

What an exciting event to see and hear the choir on your home territory.