Monday, December 5, 2011

On the way back home....

when we were traveling north from Virginia Beach the Sunday after Thanksgiving, the freeway traffic was heavy and we decided after being stuck in several traffic jams, to get off and try the back road home.

We had been driving along for a while when I saw something out of the corner of my eye and when I turned my head it caused me to exclaim, "Oooooo, oooooooooo, oo, oo, oooooooo!" This is a signal to Gregg that I have momentarily lost the power of coherent speech because I have witnessed something absolutely extraordinary. The last time this happened I had caught my first sight of a moose ambling out of the wood on another back road when we were visiting the north west. It is now our family joke because I showed how I could lose all sense of what to do next and have to be told, "Don't you think it would be a good idea to pick up that camera?" All this with an expression that shows eyes that are big as saucers, finger pointing, jabbing towards that wondrous sight, and a mouth that can't utter anything else other than "Oooooo, oooooooooo, oo, oo, oooooooo!" My inner child has completely taken over.

This time, with a cloudless blue sky as their backdrop, I had spotted two Bald Eagles at a great height, talons locked and tumbling uncontrollably towards the ground. At the last minute they split apart. We could not stop and turn around. There was a lot of other traffic on that back road, we were all making our way home, flowing freely now with no traffic jam to contend with but nowhere safe enough to stop, and I craned my neck to try and get one last sight of them but by that time they had disappeared.

So, this amazing sight has to stay in my memory as there was no time to grab a camera and take a photo. Not sure I could have gotten a decent shot because this all transpired in a matter of seconds. I have seen such displays on my nature shows but never thought in a million years I would get to see one with my own eyes.

May we all be in awe of such wondrous sights and long may we all stay in touch with our inner child.

The following is a video I found on YouTube.


12 comments:

  1. That would be a sight well worth incoherent rapture. Which I do too. Nice to hear that some-one else is afflicted with this problem. And that video was glorious. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have done the same thing, Denise! Haha!

    I guess some of the best imageries are stored in a special memory bank in our brain ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words
    are better
    than pictures
    when the speaker
    is full of passion!

    Now it is in my memory too, because of your words.


    Thank you, D


    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, what an extraordinary story! I have seen Golden eagle do that, but not the bald eagles. How happy I am you got to see it for yourself. Glad you got home safely too! The word picture was enough for me. I am so glad to meet someone whose inner child can take over and render her speechless with wonder! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cloudia says it all. What an amazing sight it must have been. The traffic spoils a good trip, doesn't it? But in this case provided you with a once in a life time sight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A moose AND bald eagles.... OMG if that happened to me I too would be incapable of speech. When I was in Moose country I looked for one every day and saw ... zilch. It was so bad hubs bought me a stuffed moose which, as I speak, is sitting looking at me. It's the nearest I'll ever get to one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic sight to see. So many times it seems the best pictures are what we saw and remember than the ones taken with a camera. What a great description you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some moments just need to be experienced. Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful that sight must have been! I, too, am known for incoherent speech. I remember seeing a bear crossing the road right in front of me. My car was stopped, and the camera was in the seat beside me. Did I reach over, pick up the camera and take a picture? No, all I could do is stare at the bear with my jaw dropped and say "ooooooo".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember witnessing my first eagle dance...I cried!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing Eagles fly is very special. Have only ever seen one in the mountains of North Carolina.

    Seen lots on TV from Scotland though.

    ReplyDelete