Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Beef and Vegetable Soup

A windy, cold and rainy day here in northern Virginia.....


and thought a hot soup to put on the table was in order, which I found here. It's called a Victory Vegetable Soup but has meat added to it. We all probably have our favorite veggie soup recipes but I'm always looking for variety and this one turned out great.

Beef and Vegetable Soup

1 pkg. soup bones
1 lb. or more stewing beef, cut into small cubes
1 small onion
1 teaspoon or more salt and pepper to taste
1 large can tomatoes
6 springs parsley or flakes
2 cups chopped cabbage
1 package mixed frozen vegetables
1/2 package frozen okra
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 cup diced potatoes
3 quarts cold water

Put stewing beef, beef bones and onion in the 3 quarts of cold water. Add salt. Cover and cook slowly for two hours. Add vegetables and cook 1 hour longer. If using whole canned tomatoes break them up with a spoon, so that they will mix evenly into the soup.

Result: This makes a great tasting soup. Both Gregg and I thought it was delicious. We ate it again for supper tonight and when I suggested freezing the rest, he said let's leave it out, that he could eat this until its all gone. So, we have a winner.

You can obviously use any of your favorite vegetables, fresh or frozen, in case you think any of these choices are one of the 'dastardly' veggies.

For the soup bones I actually used marrow bones.

I also used Hunts mini-diced canned tomatoes.

I looked for fresh okra but the produce manager said he hadn't seen any in quite a while, so I bought it from the frozen section. I cannot remember the last time I used okra, but along with the cabbage this was a request from Gregg. He likes the nutty taste of it but to tell you the truth I couldn't taste it at all and thought it rather bland. But as the soup was full of flavor and I loved the taste of all the other vegetables, I didn't notice it much.

I use organic and natural foods as much as possible. I was at the post office the morning I intended to fix the soup and next door is Trader Joe's. I bought a packet of their frozen mixes of carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower which I used for my choice of frozen vegetables.

We both love potatoes, so I added a couple of extra cups of diced.

I topped it with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.

I also had some Kerrigold Herb and Garlic Butter which I spread lightly on slices of a crusty loaf of bread from Wegman's. I grated Parmesan over the slices and broiled them in the oven. It makes a great garlic bread.

We actually gave this soup five stars.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment on my blog post! This soup looks scrumptuous! Would surelyt warm you up on a cold day! I like that you use mostly organic ingredients. I am trying to go more towards organic and fresh or frozen foods. I could have given you some okra :-)....I froze the few pods I harvested from that one plant this fall, but it wasn't enough to cook. So, a side-dish of okra to a meal will have to wait till I can add more next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmm... This looks wonderful! Even Hawaii gets a little nippy and this is a great time for soup. I think I'll get my soup pot out. Thank you for the recipe, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great soup recipe...
    Thank you!!
    My favourite soups?
    Onion and squash soup:)
    Take care,
    Gisela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy !!
    Looks like a keeper, I'll give it a try over the weekend.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that sounds so good. I believe soup warms the soul as well as a body on a damp, cold day. However; I love homemade soups year round.
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds delicious, Denise - just the thing for a dismal day. Soup is so satisfying on so many different levels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soup looks good but oh boy, that bread..........I love bread and that looks soooooo good and perfect with the soup.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy you enjoyed this soup recipe. Gregg is asking for it again so I'm happy about that too. Thanks for stopping by. I have enjoyed reading each of your comments.

    ReplyDelete