Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Canada Geese at the Norfolk Botanical Garden

This past weekend when we were visiting Gregg's family, he and I visited the Norfolk Botanical Garden. It was on the brisk side but still a pretty day for a walk as the sun was shining, a little windy but still very nice. We enjoyed it so much that we have decided to get over here each time we visit the family. It is a great place to enjoy a good walk and to get that exercise we always need.

These Canada Geese were enjoying the sun too. Their lookout kept a watchful eye on us as we took their photos but once again we didn't get all that close, ever respectful of their space.

I see more Canada Geese than any other kind of goose but as I like them a lot I don't mind at all, though it would be nice to get pictures of say a white goose for a change or even a duck, but there weren't any of those around either. In the meantime.....I love you Goosey.

When Gregg and I get home and view our photographs we often seem to have had the same idea, and the two photos below, the more panoramic shot was taken with my cell phone and the one below it was taken by Gregg using the regular camera with the zoom. We tend to change over quite a bit, especially if I see any wildlife or flowers.

I was surprised to see quite a few flowers still blooming, a little past their prime but still rather pretty. When we got back to the house Gregg's Dad told him it was because they had not had the first frost yet. Now that's something we hadn't thought of and when his Dad told Gregg that, he said, "Huh!" and when Gregg told me that as we looked at those shots at our home, I said, "Huh!" No, we're not gardeners in the strictest sense of the word but knowing Gregg's Dad grew up on a farm we are always impressed with his wisdom of such things. Anyhow, I'll show some of those flowers this Sunday on Today's Flowers. My flower photos are getting far and few between so I need to space them out now until blooming time.

This is the bridge the geese floated under, like graceful ballerinas doing a good impression of the chorus in Swan Lake. Well not quite but you know what I mean.

19 comments:

Cloudia said...

I love those birds and especially appreciate your magical picture of them lined up, meandering in the stream.



Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Sharon said...

Love the swim scene!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Denise, Great photos of the Canada Geese... We have them around here also.. I enjoy going to the state park to photograph the geese.
Hugs,
Betsy

Pauline said...

Love your shot of the geese with the stream ahead visible. In my minds eye I can see them heading upstream then out of sight. Also love you second close up. Looks like a lovely outing to me!

The Elephant's Child said...

Meandering down the stream in single file has my heart this time. Thanks.

diane b said...

Love the header. It looks very English. The geese are cute especially dancing down the stream.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The geese are beautiful, especially their flotilla going under the bridge.

Carver said...

I love the bridge and shots of the geese. I particularly like how you caught them swimming in a curvy line.

Valerie said...

I like the downstream (or was upstream) shots very much.

Sandy Kessler said...

wish I were there. I could not leave this serene spot..sandy

imac said...

Looks a great place to visit Denise, and now its your Header, nice one.

Janet said...

Great shots -I enjoyed them very much-John has a Canada goose as a pet-she is lovely.

grammie g said...

HI Denise...I love the Canadian Geese..there is nothing so great to hear them honking away flying back in the spring !!
Nice place to visit where you can get some great shot like your's!!

Your phone takes a real good photo..I think I like it as well as the camera lol!!
Grace

Jean said...

The last photo is super!

Debbie said...

these are sooo pretty!! i really like the last photo of the bridge, it works very well for your header!!

Out on the prairie said...

one place I had they would fly over every morning and night in such big numbers it took over twenty minutes. i always like to see them

Kathiesbirds said...

The bridge IS pretty but I love the shot of the silver geese swimming in a straggling line on the silver water. Just beautiful!

Sara said...

That is a wonderful photo of all the geese in a curvy row! Love it.

Kay said...

How neat to see the birds liked up in a flowing row. We don't have Canadian geese here, just the Nene.