Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Seagull Companion

Whenever we have a chance to be near the ocean I am drawn to seagulls. Apparently this one was drawn to me when we were in Virginia Beach recently. One morning I had the chance for a half hour solo trip down to the water. I took my camera with me - of course - specifically with the seagulls in mind. It was very quiet and I had the beach practically to myself, it was wonderful. I found a lounge chair from the hotel already waiting for me and decided to lie down for a spell and enjoy the sound of the surf in my ears. It was a little breezy but I also felt the warmth of the sun on my face which was exceedingly pleasant. I closed my eyes and was drifting off a little, and then you know how you can tell someone is watching you? You just sense it? I looked up and there he was.

We stared at each other for quite a while. He came to within a few feet and I am sure he was hoping for a little morsel of food which I did not have. I thought he would give up and fly away but no, he stayed with me for 15 more minutes. Each time I opened my eyes he was there staring right back. Relaxation and contentment was ours.

Eventually Gregg came looking for me and our friend here stayed for a little while longer eyeing us both until we got up and went for a walk along the beach.....

and then he flew away.

Did I tell you how much I love seagulls?

23 comments:

  1. I love to toss bread to them and have them take it out of my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah, he's a juvenile just learning about his world. Perhaps he thought you were too.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's got eyes that beautifully match his beak. A very well-coordinated seagull! Elizabeth Goudge seemed to love seagulls too...she speaks of them tracing silver patterns in the sky with their circling flight. I've known seagulls all my life, growing up so near the coastline. I love to watch them soaring high above in the sky at certain times of the day over my house, which is miles from the sea. It looks so peaceful up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute, Denise... I can hear your friend saying to you: "Feed me".... ha ha

    Great photos.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful Denise; your very own seagull friend! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very pleasant point in time! Thanks for relating it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O NO! Love seagulls - you would be shot here Denise if you came back.
    Stunningly beautiful birds but so noisy and they make such a mess. They have got so brave they often take food out of your hand before you know it. Poor Phoebe lost her sausage roll to one in Teignmouth earlier this year. Eating Al Fresco is a contest between man and birds. The birds win.
    JJ
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a magical peaceful interlude - for you and the bird both. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise, we are a road trip too (NE again this year) so it was fun to catch up on your recent road trip to Virginia Beach and read abut the Krispy Kreme run. Thankfully, we don't have either KK or Dunkin Donuts anywhere near our VA eastern shore home cause I know what you mean about temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely photos. Hey and I have to say you must love Seagulls. :)
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  11. me too.....they just make me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise...such a cute story ...and the first photo is so cute..love the look!! : }

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's a cute seagull...yep he was certainly persistent! Love the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful sequence. lots of heart and great shots thoughtfully placed.


    they are birds of the continent, no sea gulls in Honolulu


    Warm Aloha from Honolulu;

    Comfort Spiral



    (*)>
    / )
    /"



    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous pics! Glad you made a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you sure you weren't sitting on his chair?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Denise
    Must say I love your header picture - my idea of heaven. Sun Sand Sea and no one else to be seen.
    Thank you so much for dropping in to Still Waters and for all your lovely comments - I'm slowly visiting all the blogs I missed whilst we were away. So much has gone on its been hard to catch up.
    Seagulls - I love them too - but in some places they can be a nuiscance and also a pest. When they hang around looking so 'cute' I find it hard not to do so but certainly don't feed them
    Sounds like you had a lovely quiet interlude down by the sea that morning
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post, Denise! I love watchiing the gulls at the beach too. They do seem like hand outs. Great photos, I love the closeup!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are very cheeky aren't they? he had lovely eyes though.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love seagulls also, I think they are pretty birds. In the fall when hardly a soul is about, their cries sound so forlorn, as if they are trying to call back summer and the morsels they brought.

    ReplyDelete