Friday, October 28, 2011

A poem....

Wild Geese

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
Love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
Are moving across the landscapes,
Over the prairies and the deep trees,
The mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air
Are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
The world offers itself to your imagination,
Calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting
Over and over announcing your place
In the family of things.

~Mary Oliver~
From 'Dream Work'

22 comments:

Jean said...

Heartwarming words.I applaud this post.

The Elephant's Child said...

Thank you.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

How beautiful, thoughts to live by.
~Jo

Cloudia said...

their song is the pulse of my soul. thank you


Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Sandy Kessler said...

wondrous

Valerie said...

Great poem, really heartwarming.

diane b said...

Another very apt poem. I love how they make an arrow shape as they fly. How do they know to do that? Why do they do that?

grammie g said...

HI Denise...Oh how I love to hear and see the geese arrive in the spring as they fly overhead, but in the fall it make my heart yearn for them to return!!
Lovely word to the poem!!

Have a pleasant weekend
Grace

Out on the prairie said...

Very nice choice, I have lots around me, but haven't seen many migrants this fall.Must be taking Amtrak LOL

imac said...

Such a beauty of a post Denise, grand shot too.

Roy said...

A lovely sight to see the geese flying like that Denise.

Don't unplug your hub said...

Every time I see geese flying overhead, I feel an uplifting of my spirits.

Andrew said...

Lovely...

Janet said...

Lovely , I stopped in my tracks the other morning to watch around 20 geese fly overhead, honking -there`s some thing very special about that I never tire of !

Debbie said...

i love the new header and these heartwarming words!!

have a happy weekend!!

A New Beginning said...

Lovely poem...amazingly beautiful words:)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice post to wake up to!

kanak7 said...

Beautiful photo! Never seen such a formation in real life, only heard about them! the words of the poem are beautiful. Lovely post!

Lui said...

Oh this is so lovely Denise!
A perfect thought for Halloween.
We really do need to remember our place and rejoice in it!

Lui said...

Hi Denise!
I was able to enter my flowers today using Luchie's PC. ;-)

Thanks for bearing with me!

Tes said...

Beautiful and scenic, Denise! Lovely!

Marie said...

Lovely poem, and lovely photo.