Thursday, September 1, 2011

Rambles, plus we have a new roof and I have a new book.

Today I should have gone out but the roofers arrived early and I've been listening to loud banging all day. I would have left but forgot to take the car out of the garage, and when I thought about it there was a big rubbish skip blocking me in. I grabbed my earplugs and used them for most of the day. Those guys worked very hard. They arrived just before eight this morning and didn't leave until 7.00 this evening. I heard one of them give the biggest yawn when he left, I think they will all sleep well tonight and I'll wish them sweet dreams for all that hard work. They will be coming back tomorrow to do the guttering.

Today a small package arrived and at first I couldn't figure out what it was, not remembering ordering anything for a while. Inside was a copy of Maisie Dobbs which I mentioned I have been reading lately on my Nook. I was telling my friends about it but the downside of electronic reading is that you can't pass it around, unless they have an electronic reader themselves with the "Lend Me" feature. My friends still prefer having the pages of a book to turn and haven't made the switch over. I am in that 'inbetween' world where I enjoy my electronic reader very much but I still love picking up a book, and I intended to introduce my friends to this paper version, so that they could pass it around to each other. It was weeks and weeks ago that I ordered it. A couple of weeks ago I had a fleeting moment of wondering why it was taking so long, then I forgot all about it.

Anyhow, back to the package. I impulsively bought it at Amazon.com, noticing that it was a little more expensive but as it was a hardback I didn't think much of it at the time. I opened the package with enthusiasm and after those initial few seconds as I turned to the first page, I realized that I couldn't read it. Why you might ask? That would be because it is in Italian. When I looked at the postmark on the package it came all the way from Rome. That in itself deserves at least three exclamation points. It came from Rome!!! I thought of sending it back but Gregg said I should keep it because he thinks it is neat having a book in another language on our bookshelves.


The last time I bought a book in another language was when I went on a school holiday at 13 to Montreux in Switzerland. In some free time I remember visiting a shop intending to buy a book in French as I was taking classes at school. I chose my book, took it up to the counter and I will always remember the lady smiling while shaking her head and saying gently, "Mon dieu, no, no, no!" She pointed to the book telling me in a way I could understand, that it was too adult for my tender years. It turned out that it was a bit of a racy book, though the cover didn't show it. She was a very nice lady and gave me a more suitable book more in keeping with my age. I thanked her and left the shop. I haven't thought of that episode until I opened my new Italian version of Maisie Dobbs today.

Okay, so buyer beware, though I swear there was nowhere written as I ordered - to be fair, maybe I ought to go back and take a look because I have a tendency to skip unintentionally - but I do not remember seeing written, "Hey you nincompoop, you're ordering a book in Italian and you don't speak the language. Mamma mia!" I think I may be learning Italian, it would be so neat to know another language. The French teacher left my school after we returned and they never hired another. In all the years since I made half-hearted attempts but now I think I'm at a mind to take it a little more seriously. Never too late though is it?

20 comments:

The Elephant's Child said...

Whoops. I am however pleased to hear that other people do this sort of thing too. I have been known to order 11 books rather than one because my hand jiggles at the wrong time. So far I have picked it up in time. So far...
Good luck with the roof.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Goodness--I would never think of checking to see what language a book is in when I order it... Thanks for the heads up!!!!

You will be happy with the new roof --ONCE they finish!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Cloudia said...

You are hardly a nincompoop, in Italian or any other language :)


Love the bulldog!

Aloha from Waikiki;


Comfort Spiral
> < } } ( ° >

gigihawaii said...

I love Italian opera, but wouldn't know what to do with a book written in Italian!

matron said...

Sorry,but I could not help laughing at your dilemma.!!!
It brought back memories of when I ordered a video on the internet,intended for children,but it was NOT intended for tiny tots.You would not have known from the box cover,we only found out when we sat the children down and turned it on.So embarrassing.

PS,loved the surfing bulldog in your last post,amazing.

jabblog said...

Oh dear! Maybe it's a sign for you to start Italian lessons!
I hope the roof is complete with guttering now. It looks very smart:-)

Janet said...

I seem to remember doing something like that with a c/d from Amazon -you are not alone and more reassuringly neither am I !!

Gill - That British Woman said...

you're funny Denise, that issomething I would have done!!

Gill

Margaret Cloud said...

Your roof looks great and yes ear plugs do come in handy. Now you have Italian book and Gregg is right, I would keep it also. Hope you two have a nice Labor Day weekend.

Valerie said...

How funny. I wouldn't think to check the language when ordering from Amazon. Hey, Denise, when you do learn to speak Italian will you please remember that some bloggers speak English. Have a great weekend. Ciao!

Out on the prairie said...

I never order from overseas sellers much. Thats funny to get one in a language you can't read.I use half.com also.

Craig said...

How posh are you guys... ordering books in Italian?!
You seem to have picked good roofers and nice timing with winter coming in.

Andrew said...

Haha Denise I have had a similar experiencs... mine one in Spanish.
Refunded no problem..
I still enjoy turning paper..lol

Linda Reeder said...

How funny about the book! No, I wouldn't have thought to check to see what language it was written either. As for learning Italian, have you read "Eat, Pray, Love"? You could go to Italy on an adventure.

Denise said...

Lovely comments, thanks one and all :)

Alejamuel Sultz said...

That is so cool! I think a non-English book on your display bookcase would be an interesting conversation piece. Anyway, you have a very hardworking roofing contractor. Working from 8am to 7pm makes for a very long working day. I am sure they will be done in no time.

Santo Caridine said...

Learning a second language would be so neat! There are community colleges that offer weekend language classes that you can choose from. Who knows? A second language might come in handy one day. Don't mind the construction noise. It will soon be over before you know it.

Emma Phillips said...

Well, home improvements can be loud, especially if the roof is under construction. I know I had my share of disturbed sleep because of roof repairs. But after all that noise, I got to enjoy a brand new roof so it was worth it. Glad to know the roofers did a great job on your roof. =)

Kristopher said...

Ouch! That is the worst part of roof renovation. You have to spend an entire day hearing all those loud banging noises made by your roofers. Ooh, girl, you’re not the only one. Haha! Anyway, the good thing is that your roof is having good progress. I suppose it’s completely done by now. I hope it’s still on its best condition. Congratulations on your new book. I hope you’ve made good use of it. :D

Kristopher Diss

Penelope Dingee said...

That’s a simple and neat roofing you have. I'm pretty sure that the guys who installed it worked really hard, because it’s apparent that they did an excellent job. I hope your gutter is up and ready now, so you can focus on other more important things.