Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chipmunk On Deck

These photos are slightly out of focus but it's been a while since I saw a chipmunk on the deck and I tried my best to get a set of decent photos. It is always very difficult as they don't stay in one place for very long. The light was fading and the sun was going down, on top of that I was shooting through glass. Even his overly stuffed little cheeks were a blur most of the time but I guess these were okay.

It has rained all day and rather than go out in the rain and fill the feeders, I took the easy way out and tossed seed out by the handful. I didn't think they would mind just this once. This little chap was running around like I do sometimes when I drink too much coffee. No I didn't get my sharp clear photos, but I did get probably the last ones before he disappears for the winter. It's still early days but I never know when he is going to turn up.

My ever faithful dove who wisely refuses to drink anything with caffeine, calmly flew in and allowed me to take his photo. Sweet little thing!

I have been sneezing for the last three days and I have finally come to the conclusion that I am starting to come down with a cold, I have been trying to ignore the fact that I have a scratchy throat but I'm beginning to feel like I need an early night. I wouldn't mind but whenever I have gone out I have been diligently using a small bottle of hand-sanitizer that I keep in the car. I do this on a regular basis but become even more compulsive-obsessive - like Lady MacBeth - when I am anxious not to catch anything with the busy time we have coming up, and especially because our friend from England arrives next week. Well, at least I caught my cold now instead of then and hopefully it will be gone by then.

28 comments:

Sharon said...

He is a busy little chipmunk! Trying to capture them can be a problem, also, people, flowers in the breeze etc etc... :-)

Cloudia said...

may it be a brief and easy cold that eases you into a healthy winter immune system!

I like the chipmunk shots with their slight movement blur!

Sweet dove, cousin to my own gray babies-

Warm Aloha from Waikiki;

Comfort Spiral


> < } } ( ° >



><}}(°>

< ° ) } } > <

The Elephant's Child said...

I love the chipmunk and the dove too. Hopefully your cold will be brief - they always make me feel miserable out of all proportion to the severity of the illness.

Valerie said...

Fingers crossed that the cold symptoms soon disappear. Loved the chipmunk pictures. Not so sure about the dove on the deck... are dove's as mucky as pigeons?

Susan said...

Good thoughts coming to you to get over your cold really quick!

I loved the second photo of the chipmunk actually... it really gives a feel of motion - just as you would expect after you saying they don't stay in one place for very long.

Mama-Bug said...

That little chipmunk is too cute with cheeks stuffed full! Doves are always such a blessing. Hope you're feeling better soon Denise!
Hugs!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice shot of the chipmunks. We too have dove visit our feeders. I love them. They are such classy birds.

minor said...

I hope you will be fine soon. Very cute photos. I knew this dove was very clever.

Jane and Chris said...

A hot toddy, a good book and a snuggly blanket will see off that cold. Feel better soon.
Jane x

Gill - That British Woman said...

chipmunks are the funniest little creatures with their mouths all stuffed full with food. We have a number of them around here.

Molly would just "love" to play with them!!!

Gill

Margaret Cloud said...

Love those little beggars and they are the Robin Hood of the seed. I hope you don't have a bad cold, I hate the stuffy nose. Thanks for coming by, and try and rest.

Cezar and Léia said...

The chipmunk is so cute!I hope to meet one someday, it would be wonderful!Thanks for so adorable post!
Léia

Jean said...

Chipmunks are so cute! Love yours with the fat cheeks.:)

Maybe it is just allergies and not a cold. Either way hope you have a light case.

Barbara said...

In many ways the chipmunks look like fancy squirrels but with a straight tail.

gigihawaii said...

That chipmunk was beautifully captured, Denise. Good job! If you have a head cold (nasal congestion and runny nose), aks your doctor to prescribe the generic of ALLEGRA-D-12. Don't get the over the counter kind, as it is not as strong. Allegra will wipe out your symptoms. Good luck!

Out on the prairie said...

The one cheek shot looks like nothing else can fit.

Mildred said...

Lovely shots of the chipmunk! Love the dove too! Thanks for sharing;o)
Hope you are feeling better.

***
Have a great time****

Andrew said...

Brilliant captures Denise... wonderful to see.

Debbie said...

what a cutie pie...love those chubby cheeks!!

i hope your feeling better!!

imac said...

Camera in hand catches the photos so grand.

Craver Vii said...

Chipmunks are always a blur. I do hope you recover from your cold in time for your friend's visit.

Lui said...

But you got some cute neat shots of them, Denise! We don't have those here except the dove!

I hope you're getting better. Here's my natural aid: In the morning when I get up I gargle with virgin coconut oil (it flushes out toxins) and by midday I gargle with salt and water. In 48 hours my colds gone!

Betsy said...

Oh that chipmunk is just adorable! I need him here at my zoo! lol...

Thanks for helping me celebrate my birthday today! xo

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You captured this fellow quite well, Denise. We don't seem to have any in and around our yard, or at least any that I have seen. Hope you are feeling better soon. The forecast is for rain here too for the next several days.

Kathiesbirds said...

Oh, so sorry about your cold! I do hope you are feeling better soon. Cute shots of the chipmunk. You captured his busy-ness and his essence, which is most important. Mine are busy stuffing their cheeks also. While they are around it g=does me no good to toss seed on the ground as they have it all cleaned up within an hour!

Marie (once The Tile Lady) said...

Wonderful visitors to your porch on a rainy day! Cute little chipmunk. Hope you didn't come down with a cold! Thanks for coming by to see more of my Disney photos...I'm trying not to bore everyone, but it was just the greatest trip! :-)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

We have so many little chipmunks and collared doves around her. The chipmunks love to sit on the rim of the bird feeder LOL

Kay said...

Oh no... I'm sorry about your cold, Denise. I do know you need all your energy when you're about to have guests.

I do love those photos of the chipmunk with the stuffed cheeks. Adorable.