Tuesday, August 23, 2011

We just had an earthquake!

Between 5.8 and 6.0 on the Richter scale. I thought I was back in California. The last time this happened was July 10 somewhere in Maryland. This was felt as far as New York City, in fact up and down the eastern seaboard. I'm located in Northern Virginia. They said thousands of people are streaming out of the Capitol Building, Washington DC and the Pentagon is being evacuated, 35,000 people in there according to the news lady. Epicenter between Charlottesville and Richmond, in a rural town called Mineral, Virginia which is about 40 miles northwest of Richmond, VA. They are saying on the news that it came in two waves, shook the Capitol for about 32 seconds, chandeliers were swinging. JFK has been shut down in NY.

When our house started shaking I couldn't figure out what was going on at first as this is so rare. Lots of things went on in my head and then I knew this was an earthquake, as it put me right back to the ones I experienced when we lived in California. I have never felt a quake in the 20 years I have lived here, though have felt much stronger shakes on the west coast. Nothing fell off the shelves today, and back then all those years ago I remember my kitchen cupboard doors swinging and banging back and forth, and listening to collectibles falling off the shelves and smashing on the floor. One happened as I was walking down the stairs and it was like being in one of those fairground fun houses as they started swaying from side to side and I held on to the rail to stop myself from falling down the stairs. Hope everyone is okay but it sounds like this was not as bad as it could have been. Cell phones aren't working but TV is on and cable. Getting word to Gregg via Twitter - thank you Twitter.

Just heard that there are evacuations as far as Canada. Concern that the Washington Monument is tilting but I do not know how factual this is. I am sure all the buildings are going to be checked for damage but knowing what our friends in Japan had to deal with and are still dealing with, this sounds pretty mild in comparison. I think people were a little weirded out for obvious reasons. Police officer warning people not to use the subways because of aftershocks.

First half hour of the news is always iffy, so many reports coming in.

This will tell you something about it if you click here.

I'm sure a lot of you are keeping an eye on Hurricane Irene and now I'm back to the news on Libya. There is a lot going on in the world right now. Stay safe everyone.

Added note at 7:05 p.m. Sitting here and all is well but the strangest thing, I have the windows open and I hear no birds up in the trees.

34 comments:

  1. oh my goodness ! stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are ok Denise. I just heard about on the radio. Hope there's not much damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking on you... I hope there are no aftershocks... Please stay safe..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. us too, we are in new jersey!! this was my FIRST!!!

    i thought my vertigo had returned!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter just called me from TX to see if I felt it up here in Cape Breton, but no, I was unaware. I'll have to turn on the news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay as safe as you can! earthquakes do offer the oddest feeling, don't they? I'll have to check the news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you stay safe and well Denise and that the worst is now over for you. I will watch the news later. A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a correction... I live in Hamilton, Ontario which is way farther north than New York, and I felt the 5.9 Virginia earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's very unusual. Glad you are OK. I don't miss California for that very reason!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just prayed for you and all my US neighbours.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We even felt it here in upstate South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denise ..Glad that you are only a little shaking up ...hope everything there goes well.
    I am in central Maine...it was felt this far to !!
    Stay safe
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scarey! Can't even imagine how you would feel. Luckily we don't get them here where I live. Stay safe. Maa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Denise, I felt the earthquiake at work today. Everyone had to evacuate the building, it did feel weird. I am glad you are Ok, waiting here at home now to see if we have any aftershocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we too felt that, saw everything shaking and ran out of house with my son.glad we all r safe:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learned about the earthquake from your blog! The wonders of the blog world. Can't put the TV on as my grandson is napping. Take care, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am here in Miramichi, NorthEast New Brunswick, Canada. We didn't feel anything, but like you, it would be unusal to have one, last time we had one was January 9, 1982!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are just now, on the news) hearing about the quake. It is scary to know that we are having quakes in different parts of the country. Years ago I was metal detecting along the shores of Lake Michigan. I noticed the water had been sucked out a ways. Decided to check where it went out, wrong thing to do, the water came rushing back in and I was soaked up to my waist as I tried to out run the rushing water. Later found out there had been a earthquake in the northern part of the Lake. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Denise, just now catching up on the news, and you were the first I thought to check up on....
    Stay safe my friend, there may be more to come :(
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you are safe and unharmed. I did not feel anything up here in Andover, MA but the local news was reporting evacuations of some buildings in downtown Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have not heard yet about any damage or injuries which is a good thing because that usually means there was none. I live in SoCal and I was born and raised here so I've been through a few large quakes. One this size would have caused some damage here.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  22. I actually heard about it from a comment left by one of my followers. She was in mid comment when it hit.

    Although I live on the West Coast now and have been through lots and lots of quakes I'm originally East Coast and know what a rare experience that is for everyone. A 5.9 is a pretty good shake!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a scary experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have heard somewhere that when something like that happens the birds quit making sounds - whether they really do or whether they have just flown the coop far far away or not. I don't know what the instinct of birds are in these kind of things but it would be interesting. My daughter lives close to a railroad and has trains all day and night. She said that's what she thought it was but the 'train" didn't go away this time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was scary, Denise. Glad you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My bosses felt it here in New England, but I was busy blabbing with a coworker and we were oblivious to what had happened.

    Glad you are okay Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooh, that must have been scary, especially as it is unusual on the east coast. I'm so glad you and greg are okay and hopefully no damage done to your house. The evacuations must have been chaotic.
    Birds and animals can usually sense an earthquake and volcanic eruption long before humans can. I bet the birds had stopped singing and flown to safety before you felt the quake.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought of you and my other east coast blogging friends when I heard the news! Glad nothing more drastic happened. We are used to quakes here in Southern California, but I'm sure it's rather frightening for those who have never felt one before.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Denise, heard about the earthquake and was pretty amazed...as we just left there two and a half months ago, and in 100 years they haven't had one this powerful there! I am worried about "things" and hope and pray that everyone will stay safe...keep water and non-perishable food handy just in case. Glad you came to my blog and made such a wonderful comment about my recent posts. Glad to be hearing from you again too! Take care! I'll be stopping by as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  30. To all you good and wonderful people, thank you so much for showing me so much caring and concern. You're the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We even felt a tremor here in Ohio. I can't imagine what it's like as close as you were. Glad you all were safe.

    ReplyDelete