Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thai by Thai in Fairfax, VA

Today Gregg worked from home and around noon he came down and asked if I would like to go out to lunch. We remembered a new Thai restaurant we had been wanting to try, about ten-fifteen minutes down the road, and we dropped off some dry-cleaning on the way.

Thai by Thai is bright, clean and the people are very friendly. The menu is on the wall as you walk in and once you've made your choice, you walk up to the counter and order your food, which is brought to your table soon afterwards.

If you click here it will take you to their website. Scroll down to see their menu. We both ordered the Drunken Noodles, which we have enjoyed at various Thai Restaurants over the years. This one was excellent! I've always wondered how Drunken Noodles gets its name. There are various stories and you can read a few of them here. Gregg is enjoying a nice long glass of cold pink lemonade.

I looked online for a recipe and there are hundreds of them out there, but I couldn't find one that looked quite like the Drunken Noodles we have have had in this area.

It is ideal for the vegetarian but you can add beef, chicken, pork or seafood . I have always ordered the chicken. I can also see sliced hot peppers that are cut like French-style green beans so beware, they are not sliced green beans, and depending on how many seeds there are left in the pepper it can be hot. This dish is usually on the hot and spicy side, but this one was not over the top and I could handle it very well. I don't handle too spicy foods well at all. At another restaurant I go to I order a coconut punch which has milk in it, but a Chinese friend once told me that if I drink milk with a spicy meal, this would take the heat off the tongue. Probably Thai Tea has the same effect. I found a recipe for the tea here. If ever we have brought spicy food home the milk always works for me, though I didn't have to use that trick this time and drank plain old water. There are also wide rice noodles which are fantastic, cut tomatoes, sweet peppers, onions and basil and it is all placed on a large lettuce leaf. The sauce is incredible.

Gregg and I enjoyed this restaurant very much and we will be going back often.

As you can see it is a real pretty day today, it's hot but the humidity is not bad at all.

18 comments:

  1. mmmm. It sure beats the ham and cheese sandwich I had a while ago! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy having a nose into your site Denise, but I'm not sure about Thai food. I'm just not adventurous where food is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all found a neat new restaurant... I am usually hesitant to try new places for fear I won't like it. Sounds like you struck gold.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo. Thai food. It is a big change from when I was growing up when Chinese food was the staple. And it is a loooong time now since I have eaten it. Turkish food is great too. It is too early to be thinking food here, but thanks to this post I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. The restaurant looks nice and bright and cheery too.
    You both look like you thoroughly enjoyed your visit there :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't tried Thai food. I may now, and just make sure I don't get anything too spicy. I drink milk with anything spicier than a pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That place looks delicious, what a nice find for you both. We had those same skies today and perfect temperatures. I sat out in the grass and just looked up. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Thai food.Wish this restaurant isn't near my home.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for having us along!


    Aloha from Waikiki;

    BLOGGER is not updating my links again, so please come and visit; thanks!


    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm... this looks so yummy, Denise! I haven't had Thai food in while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks delicious. I love Thai food but don't get to eat it often as Clive doesn't like it. I was lucky enough to be in Thailand for 3 days in January this year and I pigged out on all that I'd been missing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only just had breakfast and now I'm hungry again. I love Thai food but never got to grips with chopsticks. Fortunately the restaurants we've used gave us the option to use knife and fork.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks and sounds delicious. I was intrigued by Gregg's pink lemonade:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love restaurants that are bright, clean, and friendly. It looks like you found a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks so yummy Denise, dh doesn't like Thai food......

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for all the great comments everyone. Hope your weekend is a wonderful one.

    ReplyDelete