Sunday, August 28, 2011

Post Hurricane Irene Ramble

The day after Hurricane Irene made its way up the eastern seaboard, the sun was shining and Gregg and I decided to get out and enjoy it. We didn't fair so badly, live 25 miles east of Washington DC and were on the edge of it as it veered a little to the east - we kept pretty close tabs on it. There was lots of rain but only 29 mile per hour winds, and we didn't even lose power. Our family in Virginia Beach was okay, though they did lose their electricity. Gregg's Dad was well prepared and has a generator. We were very lucky but I wondered about our friends who were in Irene's path. I was glad to read several blogs where they seemed to have come through okay. Our birds haven't come back yet but I saw a very large hawk in the neighborhood and maybe that's why they are keeping clear. Hopefully tomorrow with the feeders and water bowls full, our feathered friends will be back again, and hopefully the squirrels. I can only imagine the roller coaster ride they must have had in the tree tops last night. They have had quite a week of it, an earthquake and a hurricane.

We went to the bookstore, to Barnes and Noble, and while Gregg browsed around the book shelves, I took myself off to the coffee shop, ordered my usual, sat down and read my Nook for a while. I have been reading a series of books by Jacqueline Winspear, about a wonderful character called Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator in 1930's London. The series tells of her life as a 13 year old housemaid, then as a battle nurse in France during WWI, and finally as a psychologist and investigator. You can read more about her here. I am totally hooked on the series and will be a little sad when this last one is finished. I shall be looking forward to her next adventure and hopefully the author will already have one in the works. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

After the book store we went for our usual walk around Walney Pond. This time we started off near the small bridge that crosses the brook, and noticed that a couple of trees had fallen across, courtesy of Irene no doubt.

The water looked muddy but with the surrounding trees it is always idyllic. The sunlight throws dappled light everywhere and it was wonderfully cool in the shade. We stayed for a while enjoying the peacefulness of it all.

"I chatter, chatter, chatter, as I flow,
To join the brimming river,
For men may come, and men may go,
But I go on forever."

~Alfred, Lord Tennyson~
The Brook

22 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a pleasant time. Glad there was no problems for you from Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that you're not badly affected by Irene. I've read about the destruction of Irene from the newspapers and news feed. Hope everybody's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice rambling kind of day you had. I love those kinds of days. The pond is beautiful - it's always peaceful around ponds and streams. Something about the sound of water and nature's noises. Glad you and your family were out of harms ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very healing post after the storm. glad you are OK.


    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >



    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful to hear that you weathered the storm intact. Thank you also for the Maisie Dobbs info...a new character to discover! I went to the website...her story sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful walk to share with us. Glad that Irene didn't treat you badly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing. I hope the sunshine follows Irene here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad Irene was kind to you and that the winds were relatively light. Barnes & Noble sounds like a wonderful place to spend some time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good news that everything is ok where you are. Books and coffee....lovely post. Enjoy. Maa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you guys got off relatively lightly. I love spending time in book shops too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you both are ok . great shots from you my friend.
    Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did wonder.... so I'm pleased to read that you and Gregg didn't have any problems with Irene. Thanks for the info on the Jacqueline Winspear books. I'll certainly look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know there wasn't much damage in your area. Enjoyed reading about how you and yours spent the day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Relieved to hear that Irene whispered by. Did you play Pooh sticks in the brook?
    Jane x
    PS Love the handsome guy in the header.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that you and your family were unharmed. It sounds like it skirted around you...thats good news. Love the idyllic shot of the pond and you two are looking as cute as ever. I like the poems that you always find to match your post. Bill gets hooked on book series too but I prefer a boiography.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to know that you are okay after the hurricane. Hope that Irene will be gone for good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. loved this post
    thanks for letting us know that all is well
    Have you read any Agatha Raisin mysteries?
    by M.C.Beaton
    she's a stitch to read
    an english author

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy you guys fared well in the storm! Isn't it wonderful when you prepare for the worst and then are pleasantly surprised. Your walk shows a well-washed and lovely country-side. What a pleasant day!

    No, our son-in-law was not badly injured...mostly his pride and a few scrapes. It just ended the excursion, of course as we wanted to get him home to clean up his scrapes. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you two are okay. Boy, the news on New York was awful, it was almost like looking at Japan all over again. I hope there were not too many casualty's. Very nice picture of you two, glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you were ok! I'm surprised it wasn't worse for you being east of DC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you are okay also. Sound like a goo d book. Have you heard of or read any of the Patrick Taylor "Irish Country" series? I liked them all but "An Irish Country Girl was my favorite and quite different from all the others. I have taken to listening to audio books as I clean house or when I am driving in the car. Oh, another fun book I read was "Blessed are the Cheesemakers." It's quite different than it sounds. It is actually a mystery/romance/comedy!

    ReplyDelete