Monday, August 15, 2011

More shots of the lovely horses.

On Saturday Gregg and I went for a ride in the Virginia countryside, and came across these lovely horses, visiting again the beauty from my previous post and who is in my current header.
Somewhere in time's own space
There must be some pastured place,
Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow,
Some paradise where horses go.
For the love that guides my pen
I know great horses live again.

~Stanley Harrison~

To seek the wind's power, the rain's cleansing
and the sun's radiant life, one needs only to look to the horse.

Ask me to show you poetry in motion,
and I will show you the horse.

Fate is a little like a horse with a loose rein.
It can meander calmly, or break into a gallop
without warning, leaving you to hang on
for dear life.

A Short History of the Horse

Why did this animal that had prospered so in the Colorado desert leave his amiable homeland for Siberia? There is no answer. We know that when the horse negotiated the land bridge, he found on the other end an opportunity for varied development that is one of the bright aspects of animal history. He wandered into France and became the mighty Percheron, and into Arabia where he developed into a lovely poem of a horse, and into Africa where he became the brilliant Zebra, and into Scotland where he bred selectively to form the massive Clydesdale. He would also journey into Spain, where his very name would become the designation for gentleman, a caballero, a man of the horse. There he would flourish mightily and serve the armies that would conquer much of the known world.

~James Michener~

26 comments:

LauraX said...

beautiful horses Denise!

JJ said...

Denise, that was onr of the best posts I've looked at. The mixture of photos and poetry - just perfect. Clever girl.
Glad you enjoyed your visit to London I will take you again in October I hope.
The sunflower seeded itself from the bird feeder - a freebie and all the better for it.
JJ
X

Sharon said...

I love watching horses, it's a calming pastime. Sorry I didn't see the previous one, my wireless was acting up and it said "Not going there!".

KaHolly said...

They ARE beautiful, Denise. Definitely photo worthy. I love traveling through the Virginia countryside, although it's been awhile. I enjoyed the prose that accompanied your series of photos today. ~karen

Debbie said...

they are just beautiful denise, the white one, magical!!!

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos of the horses, Dinae. They are beautiful critters. Lovely quotes.

Jane and Chris said...

I cannot remember who said this:
'give a girl a horse and she will get over anything'.
I LOVE horses, sweet gentle creatures.
Jane x

Janet said...

Lovely post Denise -I can almost smell those horses ! warm sunshine on a horse smells wonderful !x

Craig said...

Spectacular animals. Elegant and athletic. We should all be so lucky :)

Abraham Lincoln said...

Horses are, like dogs, man's best friend though drinking mare's milk is not high on my list of survival techniques.

The greatest story is the first horse meets the first North American Indian. It was a love affair without conditions. People would die trying to steal a neighbor's horses.

I love the smell of horses.

gigihawaii said...

What gorgeous beasts! I love horses and have ridden several here in Hawaii. But since I always felt sore afterwards, I doubt I'll ever try it again.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Great post, Denise... Those horses are gorgeous.. That area looks so peaceful... Thanks for the poems and info also.
Hugs,
Betsy

jabblog said...

Beautiful photos of most beautiful animals. I liked the accompanying verse and information.

Scott said...

I've been away for a couple weeks, but I'm glad for the chance to get back and try to catch up. I see you're keeping busy on your blog.

These are some beautiful horses and I love the colors and detail in those flowers from previous posts.

Mama-Bug said...

They are such beautiful, majestic animals. I've been in love with them since I was a little girl!

imac said...

Just gets better and better My friend, Love this post as the 1st post + all the words too.

Mama Zen said...

So beautiful!

Andrew said...

Beautiful animals...well captured.

Roy said...

Lovely images Denise and great new header.

Susan said...

Wonderful photos and verse.
A real pleasure to read your post.
Those horses are magnificent.

The Elephant's Child said...

Truly beautiful. Thank you.

Margaret Cloud said...

I like horses but am very scared of them (their size). These are very pretty horses and I liked the history.

Kathiesbirds said...

Wonderful photos and wonderful quotes! I use to love horses so when I was young and always wanted one. I passed that love onto my daughter and now she is the one who rides. Me...? I watch birds and dream of horses with wings!

Light-In-A-Box said...

I think the old buildings are just great, Its always wonderful to get away for awhile. Beauriful horses!

Kay said...

Such gorgeous photos of an elegant animal.

Rose said...

I hope you gave them a pet...they are definitely wanting some attention. Beautiful photos of a beautiufl creature.