Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Butterflies

I could sit and watch butterflies for a very long time. At Meadowlark there is a garden especially designed to attract them. There were dozens. In the photo above you can just make out two almost in the center, their fluttering around us was almost like a ballet of carefully synchronized movement, mesmerizing.

We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.
~Maya Angelou~

Butterflies.....flowers that fly and all but sing.
~Robert Frost~

And what's a butterfly? At best he's but a caterpillar at rest.
~John Grey~

A butterfly says, "The caterpillar-me is history,
My metamorphosis a mystery, and today.....
Today is a present my struggle gifted me.
~Manali Oak~

Did you know that there are about 28,000 butterfly species in the world?

I saw a few of them on my walk and I noticed that some had had a very tough time of it. In the picture below if you look closely at the butterfly on the right, something seems to have taken a bite out of its wing. There were quite a few with battle scars.

Do you see it? It looks like it had a very lucky escape.

A butterfly is a miracle,
A divine creation that fleets,
After propelling the caterpillar within,
An array of preditors it cheats.
~Dr. Maisie~

Butterflies cannot fly if their body temperature is less than 86 degrees.

Here are the names of some butterfly species:
Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta), Spring Azure (Celastrina argiolus), Western Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio rutulus), Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa), Woodland Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanoides).....

Sara Orangetip (Anthocharis sara), Purplish Copper (Lycaena helloides), Lorquin's Admiral (Limentis lorquini), Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui), Cabbage White (Pieris rapae), Veined "Mustard" White (Pieris napi)

I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free.
~Charles Dickens~

22 comments:

  1. Ooh I just love this post Denise !
    Butterflies are very special to me, and always have been since I was a young girl.
    I wonder what took the bite out of the butterflies wing, and if it will regrow ?
    Lovely shots, and such sweet verses to accompany :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are a miracle of nature aren't they Denise? The photos are quite breathtaking - well done you, and thanks for the excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butterflies are like flowers in flight and yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely buterfly pictures. Last year I saw so many types I'd never seen before - it's amazing what looking does.
    Great quotes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quotes and adore the gorgeous photos.

    I, too, am crazy about butterflies.....they seem.....well.....impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post, very engaging. You were able to capture some beautiful images! I went to the Public Gardens in Halifax last week, but it was an overcast, cool day and there wasn't a butterfly one!! I'd even brought my buttrfly field guide with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful post my friend.
    Love all your colourful butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful butterfly photo`s-I have really enjoyed this post-As a little girl my granny bought me a Mary Cecily Barker flower fairy book-that then started my passion for collecting butterflies and dragonflies !
    Love the quotes too ! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice quotes, and beautiful photos of the butterflies, Denise. They're always fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so beautiful. The photos AND the quotes.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your header photo is stunning! It must have been hard to choose because all your butterfly photos are gorgeous. I'm amazed at the variety you have there. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Denise,
    Your butterflies are a lovely inspiration for our days here, thanks so much for these wonderful pictures!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Denise. What a fabulous selection of very colourful flutters. I love nothing better than sitting in a field of wild flowers and watching the colours flit around me. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found some interesting shots of these flying flowers.I often go out in search of them specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great series of photos Denise,

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  16. We just don't have any butterflies this summer. I am stumped and don't know why?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning pictures, amazing I feel as if Im standing in the shot.Wow

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some really beautiful butterfly images Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The butterflies are always such fun to watch. You captured some good photos. I really like your current header.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Denise, I am enchanted with all those gorgeous photos of the butterflies. They are exquisite.
    The quotations you've included are so lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The photos and prose worked so well together, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed looking at the photographs of your butterflies.

    ReplyDelete