Friday, August 12, 2011

Another food post, two recipes.....Basil Marinated Chicken Thighs and Caprese Salad with a White Balsamic Vinaigrette

The last meal I chose to cook came from "For The Love of Cooking" blog, which pops up on my blog roll. You can find the chicken recipe here and the pasta salad recipe here. Both were delicious and will stay in my 'make again' folder.

Basil Marinated Chicken Thighs

5 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 clove of garlic, minced finely
1-1/2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste

Remove any extra fat off the chicken thighs, then place into a large zip lock bag.

Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste, until well combined. Pour over the chicken thighs and shake them to combine evenly. Refrigerate for 3-12 hours.

Remove chicken from the refrigerator about 20 minutes prior to cooking. Heat a grill pan that has been coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Season each chicken thigh with a bit of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste, on both sides. Place the chicken thighs into the hot grill pan and cook for four minutes, then flip over. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from the grill pan and let the meat rest for 5 minutes before serving.


Caprese Salad with a White Balsamic Vinaigrette

8 ozs. Gemelli pasta, cooked per instructions on packet
A handful of grape tomatoes
Mozzarella cheese - use amount to suit your own taste
Fresh basil, chiffonade - again use amount to suit your own taste (and by the way if you are like me and did not know the cooking term 'chiffonade', this is a French cooking term that literally means "in rags." It refers to a method of slicing food, usually lettuce, basil or other leafy greens, into thin, string-like pieces).

Cook the pasta in well salted water per instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water until the pasta is cool. Place the pasta in s erving bowl and then add the grape tomatoes, mozzarella cheese cubes and fresh basil.


White Balsamic Vinaigrette

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients together with a whisk until well combined. Taste, add more vinegar , sugar, or sea salt or pepper if desired.

Pour the vinaigrette over the pasta salad and mix until evenly coated. Serve and enjoy.


To sum up both Gregg and I enjoyed this meal very much. We had left-overs and we had those the next day.

The store where I bought the chicken did not have boneless, and I had to add on some cooking time as they took longer to do. I ended up doing about 15 minutes on each side. The chicken was crispier but we like it that way so no problem.

11 comments:

Patty said...

It certainly looks yummy. Love pasta salads. Our Granddaughter, 11, likes hers plain with butter. We all love my Mother's home made noodles with chicken.

jabblog said...

Sounds very tasty:-)

*Honest Abe said...

I am still on vacation but read this on Google Reader and had to pop over to tell you it made my stomach growl.

Beyond My Garden said...

Ready to copy this one
nellie

Lui said...

Denise, you made me hungry with this post and the previous one. I love chicken and I adore pasta dishes! Hmmm, its only 6 AM in my country!

I also enjoyed your old picture in previous post. My hair had bangs like yours and my Mama would cut it drastically and unevenly until my bangs look so short and ugly it made me miserable for weeks! What a memory!

Debbie said...

looks soooo yummy...perfect timing also as i am overloaded with tomatoes!!!!

bookbabie.com said...

Sounds good and it's gluten-free, I love marinated chicken and fish! I saw your comment about sensor spots and you should send your camera in and not clean them yourself. I've sent mine to Canon a couple times for different reasons and they were always prompt getting it back to me:)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Denise, thiese recipes are something Grenville and I would enjoy, so it will be on my "to try" list. Only problem may be in trying to get the specified pasts as we don't have lots of choices in our local supermarket :-( It was catching up on your blog posts this week and the story about the hair stlist cnversation was funny, but oh so true. Like yourself, I am never fond of getting a haircut either and glad when it's done. The thai restaurant meal looked wonderful.

kavita said...

Looks scrumptious ! My family loves chicken and and most of the ingredients these recipes require are easily available here.Would love to try .
I am a follower of your blog since the time i started blogging.Nice to be in touch again.Thanks for everything :):)

Betsy from Tennessee said...

YUM.... Sounds delicious, Denise... That chicken recipe sounds really good --and I would love the pasta salad too... Thanks.
Hugs,
Betsy

Craig said...

Looks and sounds delicious!