Friday, July 22, 2011

Son and Daughter-in-Law are at ComicCon in San Diego

A quick post but I wanted to share these photos son put on his Facebook page, taken - with his cell phone - at ComicCon in San Diego, California. Brad has been saying how much he would like to go there for years, and now he and wife Lisa are spending four days attending this event, and another four days doing the regular tourist stuff. Below William Shatner and Scott Bakula.

Brad was ten when he left San Diego and Lisa left when she was a toddler. Lisa was born at the San Diego Navy Hospital, Brad was born at the Long Beach Navy Hospital 90 miles away up the coast, with Los Angeles 30 miles further north. What was the chance that they would meet all these years later 3,000 miles away on the other side of the US in Virginia?

It sounds like they are both having a blast. Brad is a William Shatner fan and every year he and Lisa hold a big party for all their friends where they will watch movies, and hold raffles, and any money they gather goes to William Shatner's Charity. This has been the third year they have held it and now he gets to see him live, albeit with thousands of others, being interviewed on stage with other members from the various Star Trek series. I remember watching Star Trek from the very beginning and have watched subsequent spin-offs ever since.

Lisa is a big Twilight fan so she got to see Robert Pattinson on stage. There are huge screens at every presentation; even though the actors are way off, they can see them on the TV screens behind where the actors are sitting.

I'm really happy for them and they have waited in two hour lines to get tickets to attend several sessions. It's great that they are having so much fun. When he shares other photos of any interest I will post those too.

15 comments:

Craver Vii said...

William Shatner always seems to have a good time doing his job. I like his sense of humor.

I wonder how the Twilight thing will be received at ComicCon. It seems out of place to me, but maybe that's just because I haven't seen any of those movies.

Sharon said...

It's great that they got to go! It does sound really interesting, I like Wm Shatner, myself, I think he's a pip now that he has gotten older.

Janet said...

Still love watching star trek-the best episodes are of course the ones with William Shatner in ! x

Don't unplug your hub said...

It's life Denise, but not as I know it. :-)

Jane and Chris said...

Can somebody PLEASE tell me what ComiCon is?
Jane x

Betsy said...

I have a feeling they are going to have a wonderful time!

Mama Zen said...

My husband would be so jealous!

Cloudia said...

Cool!




Aloha from Waikiki;


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


> < } } ( ° >

< ° ) } } > <

Jean said...

It is amazing that you daughter and son-in-law met in VA!What are the odds? Glad they are enjoying San Diego!
I am a huge fan of William Shatner. OK I confess...I have read all 4 Twilight books and enjoyed them (thanks to my daughter for turning me on to them)...but please don't tell anyone.(wink,wink)

Kay said...

I saw something about Comic Con in the daily comics and it looks like wonderful fun. Another blogger also posted some amazing photos. It must really be a fun thing to go to.

gigihawaii said...

I wouldn't mind vacationing in San Diego, as I have never been there. Glad your son and his wife are having fun.

diane b said...

I had to look up Comic con as I have never heard of it before. Always learning from blogging. It sounds loads of fun and your young ones will have a ball there. It was a coincidence that they are both from there originally. I don't think I would queue for two hours though.

jabblog said...

I hope they manage to see all they plan to:-)

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Comic Con is popping up everwhere...blogs, the news, the newspaper....! I'm glad they are having such a great time in my old home town. What you say about the chances of meeting across the country from where they were born are so true...I find it amazing the places life takes us and how paths seem to cross and meet elsewhere. If we could see these patterns from afar I think we would be quite astonished.

Margaret Cloud said...

I have always liked William Shatner, even before he was on Star Trek. I am happy for your son and his wife, sounds like a dream vacation.