Tuesday, July 26, 2011

One of my favorite poems


I Have Found Such Joy

I have found such joy in simple things;
A plain, clean room, a nut-brown loaf of bread,
A cup of milk, a kettle as it sings,
The shelter of a roof above my head,
And in a leaf-laced square along the floor,
Where yellow sunlight glimmers through a door.

I have found such joy in things that fill
My quiet days: a curtain's blowing grace,
A potted plant upon my window sill,
A rose, fresh-cut and placed within a vase;
A table cleared, a lamp beside a chair,
And books I long have loved beside me there.

Oh, I have found such joys I wish I might
Tell every woman who goes seeking far
For some elusive, feverish delight,
That very close to home the great joys are:
The elemental things - old as the race,
Yet never, through the ages, commponplace.

~Grace Noll Crowell~

~~~

The joy for me and I find this the older I get, is a walk around one of our favorite local parks. All the photos above were taken at Meadowlark Gardens this past Sunday. (You may remember other posts I have shared.) The lines of the poem don't exactly go with my photos, but this is where I find my simple joy.

It was very peaceful and there was hardly another soul but us. We passed a few people but as time wore on it was almost as if we were entirely alone. The hot weather had kept the numbers down. Even the lady at the visitors' center thought we were a little mad to go for a walk on such a hot day. However, we honestly didn't find it that bad. Maybe I am getting used to the humidity? No, I don't think so, I was more than glad to get back to the visitors' center, as by then I knew I had had enough and I felt the heat radiating from me. You could probably have cooked an egg on my forehead.

So, when the lady took one look at us and laughed as she said, "You must be crazy", that old Noel Coward line came back to me, "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun!" I think Noel would have enjoyed it here. There may be larger and more magnificent gardens around the world, but Meadowlark has it all as far as I am concerned. A lot of people work very hard to keep it that way.

We spent about two hours as we walked the shortest loop, made good use of the shade trees and sat down on several benches along the way. One of those simple joys we will be repeating many times, for this place calls to us throughout the year.

17 comments:

Carver said...

I love the poem and what a beautiful place to walk and drink in the nature.

John Gray said...

nicely written

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful post and poem, Denise! You are brave to be out there walking in that heat.

The Elephant's Child said...

That was truly beautiful; the poem and the post. Loved the photos. I find that it is the so-called little things which make my day (changes in the light, visiting birds). Small things for small mind perhaps? But the heat would have had me skulking inside, so glad you were brave and shared the joy.

Cloudia said...

how lovely and needed. And that butterfly? Wonderful!


Aloha from Waikiki;


Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


> < } } ( ° >

gigihawaii said...

pretty pictures and a lovely poem, all of which spoke to me. Mahalo, Denise!

Valerie said...

Mad dogs and.... yes I thought of that line. The poem and views of the park are delightful. I don't think I would do as well in that heat.

DJ said...

What a lovely place to be.

About the poem: Some years ago I decided to start a positive diary, only writing a few words to remind me of the good things that happened that day. Some days there are spectacular things to write about, but most days is the simple mundane stuff ("today was sunny!" or "my forsythia is in bloom again"). Your poem goes so well with my daily habit, I will print it and keep inside my diary. Today my entry might be "read a beautiful poem!". Thanks Denise :)

Kay said...

You are so lucky, Denise. We would have to travel a bit to find a place to walk and be alone. Oahu is so crowded. These photos are so gorgeous!

Roy said...

Interesting you mentioned about a nut brown loaf Denise. I can remember down in the West Country when the Baker would deliver bread in a small van around the villages.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I've decided to ignore the heat and get out and about like I usually do. Of course I'm being smart about it, using sunscreen, a wide brimmed hat, and lots and lots of water.

I love your poem. The simple pleasures are the best and most fulfilling.

Light-In-A-Box said...

Great photos Denise! The poem should remind us in our hectic daily pace to take a break & see & hear things around us!

Rose said...

Oh, wow, that poem fits me to a 't'...so glad you posted it since I had never read it.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for this beautiful reminder to love what is.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Is that a black bear in the 2nd photo from the bottom? I have aging eyes...LOL

Love the barn swallow photos Denise.

diane b said...

I love the poem. It is so true. Even though overseas travel is exciting and a joy the simple things close to home are a joy too. I love our local forest and you your park. No need to look for greener pastures as you get older.

Margaret Cloud said...

I love this poem, and what pretty pictures to go with it. I wish we did not have to go so far to enjoy a waslk. Thank you for coming by and have a nice weekend.