Friday, July 29, 2011

Foodie Post - Pasta Salad with Summer Sausage


With all this hot weather I had no desire to turn on the oven to get dinner ready. I found this recipe while browsing through "Tastespotting". The recipe comes from "Pip and Ebby's Messy Kitchen, which you can find here. I feel like I have to apologize for the photo as I kept forgetting to take a picture and I quickly took this one. It's not one of the best and if you need a prettier view please go to Pip and Ebby's Messy Kitchen. The honest truth is that this was one of the most flavorful and delicious pasta dishes I have ever had, and you've just about got everything you need in one pot.

You will need a very large pot to mix all the ingredients. I ended up using the largest stockpot I had and when Gregg came home and saw how much I had made, he asked me which army was coming for dinner! I probably should have made half the recipe there being only the two of us, but I don't do anything by halves apparently. Next time I will but it was nice to be able to take various friends an evening meal. Everyone enjoyed it enough to ask for the recipe, and I can tell when people as sweet as they are, are just being polite. We still had enough for several meals, and in the end I decided to freeze some as an experiment. It thawed out quite nicely and we enjoyed it again a couple of weeks later. You can make it the day before so that the flavors have time to blend nicely.

1 16 oz. jar of Zesty Italian Dressing
1 lb. box of Rotelle pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed (I used elbow macaroni because I had a box already in the pantry)
1 medium yellow onion
8 medium celery stalks, thinly sliced
16 oz. package CoJack cheese, cubed
16 oz. tube summer sausage, cubed
3 13.75 ozs. quartered artichokes, drained
2 6.5 ozs. cans pitted black olives, drained
2 8.5 ozs. jars julienned sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I forgot to buy fresh Parmesan cheese and used the kind that you keep in your fridge in the green container)

Mix all ingredients well and allow to marinate overnight. You can play around with the ingredients to suit your own taste. Fortunately we liked everything used.

I would definitely make this again. It would be a great dish to take along to a potluck. Gregg actually had three helpings. He has seconds sometimes but rarely thirds. Because I am calorie counting I calculated all the calories item by item and measured servings out by the cup. One cup has approximately 300 calories.

15 comments:

  1. It can be hard to narrow a recipe for one or two.I have eaten all cold fioods today but will fix some nice corn I just got at a stand .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... this all sounds really wonderful!!! You've just put me in the mind to make a salad soon. I use a lot of those ingredients to make a quinoa salad and I know how scrumptious they are. Hmmm... now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall try this recipe next week! Thanks, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bang goes my diet again ! off to raid the fridge now-that sure looks good x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good, but the black olives are what make the dish for me. Please pass a napkin; I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise, that looks yummy!
    I love making pasta dishes and any leftover can be assembled in pan topped with cheese and baked! Yum-yum!

    I love your bear story and the birds and poetry!

    I posted my flowers early too in case the week gets crazy and I get stranded somewhere ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quick pasta dishes are what we turn to in hot weather....hubby could eat pasta every day!!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it tastes anywhere near as good as it looks, then it's a winner !
    Yum, that looks good.
    I'll give it a try, and let you know the results :)
    Thanks for sharing Denise.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious and sounds easy. That's my kind of cooking. However, being an alien I have no idea what a tube of summer sausage is. can you enlighten me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks lovely. I'm sorry to hear about your heatwave in the eastern US - not nice at all. I hope it breaks soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe, Denise. We enjoy making cold salads especially during hot summer weather. This one can be adapted to include some of our garden veggies too. Like you noted, recipes always need to be cut down with only 2 in our household, but quite often we make the full recipe and then plan on leftovers for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good, I'm going to copy and save the recipe for later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm. Sounds like a delightful summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, that's made me feel hungry even though we have just had a Cornish pasty and salad. Went to Totnes this afternoon. We tried to go to Marldon Apple pie fair but could not park near enough as we are both still feeing a bit weak. Thought of you.
    Have a good week
    Love
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  15. My, that looks like a nice big pot of everything. It seems tasty, and the ingredients look like they can make the tastebuds dance for joy! And yeah, this would be a nice thing to bring along on a potluck or barbecue party. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete