Monday, July 18, 2011

The attack of the poison ivy, oak, whatever it is, and a Monday Morning Ramble

It's been a fast and a busy week, visiting and chatting with family and friends and getting a carpentry project done in the family room (that will be in my next post). Gregg had a business trip and was gone from the Monday morning to Saturday afternoon. He started off in Kansas City and ended up in Seattle. On Saturday I picked him up around 6.15 in the afternoon and when he called me he asked me if I would buy some cortisone cream because he developed a fiery rash while he was away.

I think when I tell you that we were both working in the garden pulling weeds before he left that it might give you a clue as to what his problem is. Surprise, surprise, we have a whole lot of poison oak - or is that poisonous ivy - and sumac - growing in the side of the garden that we did not know we had. He was up to his elbows in the stuff, wearing shorts and a short-sleeved shirt. I was in another part of the garden where yes we had weeds but not apparently the poisonous kind. We have things growing in our garden that we have never planted and guess who brought them there?














The Bearded Robber Fly is feeling a bit picked on.


Well I know that, you're not a bird!

(By the way, did you know that Kokopelli, an important figure in Native American folklore is partly named after "pelli", a word for the "desert robber fly?" You can read more about Kokopelli and his relationship with robber flies at the Kokopelli site if you click here. You can also find out more about robber flies if you click on its name above my photo. It will take you to a site where I found out this information.)

Getting back to my feathered friends, I said don't worry guys, even though you may have planted the seeds or not planted the seeds, we don't blame you, it happens. And after a busy week away from home and having gone through three tubes of cortisone ointment, Gregg is getting some relief from the itching, and is now back to some down time while reading one of his favorite books.


Great to have you home My Love. I'll venture to say this is much worse than when the mosquitoes attacked you isn't it? Remember that?


It's all relative, it happens! In the meantime, if anyone has any good advice about creams, getting rid of the odious weeds, anything, would you please let me know? I figured the more I hear about the first-hand experience of others, the better off we will be. Thanks! To all my family and friends who have been sending some great advice, thank you too. And that's a second from Gregg.

Added note: this morning (the 18th), Gregg thought it would be a good idea to go to the doctor. The rash seemed to be more inflamed and as he has clients coming into town, he didn't want to be fidgeting all day. The doctor prescribed Prednisone and he is still using CareOne Maximum Strength 1% Hydrocortisone anti-itch cream. Unfortunately this rash can last for several weeks, though I am hoping he will get rid of it a lot faster than that.

34 comments:

diane b said...

Poor Greg!That must have been very uncomfortable while away for work.I can't think of anything better than cortisone cream so I hope it eventually works. Maybe you need to spray the weeds instead of pulling them. Its not nice but at least you don't touch the weeds but just cover yourself up so you don't get spray on your skin.I love your post with the bubbles. Thanks again for waiting so long in Alexandria to meet us. I really enjoyed the afternoon with you. It was like meeting old friends. I managed to pick up a dose of Bronchitis from the bus and the first lot of antibiotics haven't worked. I'm starting a different kind today. I'm glad that I'm home.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Denise...

Thanks for stopping by, good to hear from you. I’m afraid I have no suggestions for the ease of poison ivy rash, as you well know, it’s something we are not troubled with in UK. However, my thought would have been to try antihistamine cream which I always have at hand.... I react very badly to insect insect/mosquito bites and even worse wasp and bees stings. The last wasp sting I had needed hospital treatment!!

Have a good week and take care in the garden. Marion - Wales UK

Maa said...

Oh dear, poor Greg. Can't offer advice as we don't have that here either. Sounds dreadful. Maa

Kay said...

Oh my goodness! Poor poor Gregg! That's awful. I sure hope everything heals quickly. I'm afraid I don't know what you can do for it other than the creams. That said, your photos with speech bubbles is fantastic! You are so good at that! Are you using PhotoShop?

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

oh DENISE!
my garden is full of weeds....and I think it´s time for me to leave FB and take care of my private life...and pay attention to my flowers...I could do more for my garden If I really spent more time with.
Thank you very much for you stopping by...
havea nice week.I wish all the best for you and Gregg...The family in general....

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Your poor hubby. There were about 8 years in a row, that I would get poison ivy every year (from our cats). I would get it so bad that I needed steroids. Fortunately, they are all indoor cats now.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I so feel for Gregg as I suffer with being bitten/attacked by things in the garden.

There is no need to put any liquid in the crockpot when you cook the chicken as unless you use a chicken straight from your own yard, they are generally pumped up with water, which is released when cooking. So just season it the way you like and cook overnight on low.

Gill

Out on the prairie said...

I have tried everthing from preventitive serums and all.The best waty is to be able and identify it and avoid it.I take a shower right away if exposed.If it is an area of weeds, just defoliate it with spray they make for just that little weed.I get a shot when i get it that helps.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I'm glad that Gregg is getting relief from the itching! I believe a combination of cortisone and an antihistamine that you take by mouth works well too.

Valerie said...

Loved this post, Denise. The humour flowing through was like a tonic on a wet Monday. Hope Gregg has fully recovered from the itching...the damned wildlife has a lot to answer for.

Maria Berg said...

Not fun at all to have that in the garden my advise it is to learn how it look when it is very young/littel and the pull it up as soon you see it.

It happen like you said you can not blame anyone it does only happen. We have soon weed here to one that is very hard to get ride of but it is not poisonous but still very boring to take care of.
Hope Greg will soon get ride of it and that the medicine from the doctor helps.

Take care,
MB

gigihawaii said...

Hi Denise! Too bsd about the poison ivy. Why don't you hire a landscape company to remove it? I plan to do that for my backyard. BTW, I loved the dialog between you and the animals. How funny!

imac said...

Poor ol Greg, hope he's up and about very soon.

Jane and Chris said...

Oh, itchy itchy. Hope Gregg is better soon.
Jane x

Don't unplug your hub said...

Best wishes to Greg. My son George has been getting rid of weeds for me. Only one bee sting so far.

NatureFootstep said...

how fun. Made me smile a lot. :)

Lui said...

Hi Denise!
I love the Bergamot and the Squirrels in your previous posts! As for Greg, I can imagine his discomfort because I tend to have allergies and I always get bitten in the garden and my only solution is virgin coconut oil which I drink and rub on myself like lotion. It smell and taste good plus it is reasonably priced. But please consult your doctor for this.

I also tried to link my late flower post to TF and failed several times ;-(

Glenda said...

Just don't try to get rid of the poison ivy vines by burning them off. A neighbor once burned off a large field that was full of the ivy /oak (not sure which) and all of the neighbors who were exposed to the smoke had it all over their faces and other skin that wasn't covered. Ick! He wasn't very popular in our neighborhood for a very long time :0

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Weed pulling can be hazardous as many of us have learned. I had a terrible case of poison ivy several years ago when pulling out vines in the front yard. Since then, I learn to abide by the little poem: leaves of three, let it be...in reference to poison ivy. Hope the prescribed cream is helpful for Gregg.

The Elephant's Child said...

Blogger is being mean to me. Apologies if two comments show up. Followed you home, and am glad I did. Love the flowers and sympathise (big time) with the allergic reactions. Of the ten most common allergens here I am not allergic to cat and dog hair but give big ticks to all the rest. No poison oak/ivy thankfully.

Chinatours said...

Interesting offscreen voice, wish Gregg be fully recovered from the itching. Greetings from China.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Yuk.... Sorry about Greg.. Hope he gets some relief soon. That is NO FUN!!!

We never pull anything that has 3 leaves.. We'll get some weed killer and spray it...

Good Luck getting rid of it. We have it around here also--but try to keep it 'at bay'...

Hugs,
Betsy

Susan said...

Boy, that was some vicious rash all right.

Your line-up photos of possible suspects are just hilarious!!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Poor Gregg - he has my sympathy Denise. Although I have never suffered from a poisonous plant I do occasionally suffer from citrus allergy and it is just awful. Apart from the creams I take anti inflammatory tablets and they do take some of the heat out of the rash. Hope he is soon back to normal and watches out in future.

Love your very amusing photos - you are so clever. A x

Poetic Soul said...

I'm getting addicted tô your blog, its à breath of fresh air

jabblog said...

Oh, poor Gregg! It really sounds as though he's suffering. I hope it won't be several weeks before the rash clears.

Denise said...

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving your sympathy and helpful comments. I think we will be looking a lot more carefully at our garden from now on. We always are when we go on our walks but never dreamed that trouble could be so close to home.

Craver Vii said...

Oh, wow. Sorry to hear about Gregg. I hope he can find relief soon.

Kathiesbirds said...

So sorry to hear about Gregg and the poison something! If you are interested you might try the homeopathic remedy Rhus toxiconderhens. It can be found in most health food stores. It is taken sub-ligually and will not interact with any medications he is on. Good luck! I hope he is feeling better soon.

P.S. I have also heard that oatmeal baths/compresses work, though I have never had to try any of that myself.

SandyCarlson said...

I hope Gregg is better. What a dilemma! How the garden grows, though. Your post was fun, despite the troublesome rash.

Janie said...

Wow, I just hate getting the poison ivy reaction. Hope the doc's remedy helps. Cute cartoons.
I didn't know about the relationship between Kokopelli and robber flies. Interesting.

eden said...

I hope Greg is feeling better now. I don't know about this poison ivy much. Thanks for this post. It makes me more aware now.

Margaret Cloud said...

I can truly sympathies with Greg, poison ivy is my arch enemy. Even though I can't go near it, I really don't know what it looks like, even though I have seen pictures of it.

Kathy said...

I know what he's going through. I'm extremely allergic to poison ivy. I can just look at it and the juice jumps on me. I had a patch on my arm this spring for almost two months before it went away. There is a local pharmacy in town that compounds a lotion for it. Wish I knew the ingredients so I could pass it on. You might ask at a pharmacy that does compounding. It's really cheap and helps dry it up fast.