Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sweet Child of Stone


A sweet child of stone
Sits quietly in a garden.
He drew me close
As though he spoke to me.
I hear him sigh
For he is bored.
He cannot play like me,
This sweet child of stone.

~~~~~

I looked on the Internet for a poem that would go with my photo, and I couldn't find one. I sometimes sit down in a quiet moment and a see if a few lines will flow. It's not perfect but I hope you like it.

I found this sweet little boy on a large urn on top of a pedestal tucked away in one corner of the garden. I almost missed it as it was hiding behind a hedgerow. I spotted the top and curiosity being what it is I walked over to find this sweet little boy.

Last Sunday Gregg and I drove two hours south to visit a place we discovered a while back. I shared a post about it at the time. We visited The Lewis Ginter Botanic Garden in Richmond. It's one of the nicest places to walk around. You can click here to visit their home page and if you click here you can see a map of the garden. We visited later in the summer back then and I know we will be visiting again, probably towards the end of the year as I would like to see it during the holiday season when everything is lit up.

I will be sharing more posts later on but in the meantime you can click on the label below this post for Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens.

20 comments:

  1. The poem was moving, Denise.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice verse, well done Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a poet! Congrats on a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cute ode Denise. It is as sweet as the little boy you spoke of. Please give us some more. Nice Summer garden stroll eh? We are down in winter and our alps are already brewing with snowstorms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect prose for your photo, Denise. I love the picture! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! Nothing else could fit it better, you are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words of wisdom and beauty complement your statue shot my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The poem is perfect, and I love these statues, because they have such character and spirit; if they could only talk....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the little poem- and what a lovely discovery finding the little boy-I love gardens that have lots of little nooks and crannies and gems like this one -just waiting to be discovered !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did love the poem! My sister lived in Richmond for a while and she took me to this garden for a visit a few years back. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet little cherub, Denise. And your verse fits it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That stone reminds me... we spend the first few years of a baby's life trying to get him to walk and talk... and then send him off to school insisting that he sit down and be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an amazing verse, I liked it a lot. The little boy is so cute. I often stop when I see these cute little statues and wonder what they are thinking (crazy aren't I).

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should write more of the same Denise - the words and the tome were 'just right' for the little statue
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's no bad think your internet search for lines was unfruitful. We're all 8 fine lines better off for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful poem Denise. The little boy of stone was a lovely find in the garden.
    I clicked on the link to the botanical gardens and can certainly see why you like to return each time. It's a beaut place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely comments, enjoyed reading them very much. Thank you one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy to have found your blog too! I joined, and hope you'll sign up to follow mine as well!

    Lovely~

    Mary
    http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS~ YES! I sure do remember "Breaking Away" and I have it on an old VHS tape! I still love it, and watch it occasionally~
    Mary
    http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete