Sunday, June 12, 2011

Old 1924 Video of Torquay, Devon

Gregg found this colorized video on YouTube the other day. If he comes across anything on Devon he always makes sure I see it. When I lived in England over 35 years ago, Torquay was about two miles from my village and also the town I worked in for ten years before I came to America.  I had the video on here but for one reason or another it was taken off.  I shall try and find it again on YouTube when I think about it.

We have just spent a lovely weekend in Charlottesville and I will be sharing photos of our trip in my next post. It's only a couple of hours from home and the drive there and back went very quickly. Gregg and I chat all the way there and all the way back. Traveling in cars make for great conversations while looking at the scenery as you pass by.

On our way home and towards the last part of our journey we noticed dark and ominous clouds approaching. As we drove through our neighborhood we saw the first lightning streaks, which were spectacular against the darkened sky. No sooner had we rolled into the driveway the first drops of rain fell. We had time to get a few belongings into the house and the heavens opened up. There was one little squirrel on the deck and he took off at the first clap of thunder, and the rain belted down in a torrent. I always wonder how those squirrels handle the weather as the trees were really whipping around. I would imagine that being tucked in their nests it must have felt like the teacup ride at Disneyland. I also wonder about the birds and other animals? Hopefully they find a quiet little spot away from that wind and torrential rain.

We lost our electricity for a couple of hours but all is well now. The storm has passed, we have our windows open again, and we're feeling a lovely cool breeze. Gregg is watching a baseball game and I am catching up on the computer.

Added note: here is another video I found on YouTube. A photographer shows dozens and dozens of photos taken in and around Torquay, which for me are wonderful. I can see how things have changed and yet a lot have stayed the same. He goes through his photographs quite speedily, just in case you wonder why your eyes start to ache. I had to give up and will go back again later. Also a word of warning, there is one photo that has a nude bather on the beach. It doesn't bother me but not sure how you feel about it, hence the heads up.

17 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend, and happy to hear you made it home in time, before the storm rolled in.
I'll keep trying, but couldn't get the video to load, maybe later.
Look forward to seeing your trip pictures.
~Jo

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, how marvelous !
Everyone sitting on their deck chairs, enjoying the sunshine.
Look at those girls, their hair must have been fried with perms ?
I've been to Torquay when I was younger, it's built on seven hills, and we climbed every one of them :)
Great !
~Jo

Callie said...

Enjoyed the video... such darling children! Ah, those were the days. Glad you beat the rain. I wonder how the squirrels and birds survive the weather too.

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

Hello Denise!

I don´t know that city but Charlottsville, yes..l..when I visited USA the first time in 1999.
THanks for sharing your impressions and I thought I was there while you were writing this

Have a nice week

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour Denise,
Thanks for sharing these great videos.I'm enchanted by the little girls and her "hair", in the firs video, at the end of the video, so CUTE!
Léia

Janet said...

Charming video-those little girls ,-sisters I should think ? with all those curls-gorgeous ! laughed at the little girl wearing her woolly hat on the beach !

imac said...

Glad you enjoyed yourselves, and glad you posted these films up, my the fashions were something too,lol and very cute.

Don't unplug your hub said...

A lovely blog. Sweet little girls.

Jane and Chris said...

Oh the little one in the romper...too sweet!. Amazing how British beach activities never change....just the clothes (or lack of!!)
Jane x

Gill - That British Woman said...

I think when a couple is so in tune with one another they can talk for hours about anything....

Gill

i beati said...

Is anyone in the Torquay video you know??It is charming.

Out on the prairie said...

Precious moments on the beach

Valerie said...

Gosh you took me back a few years, Denise. I don't think Torquay has changed much since I was a little girl. Happy days.

Lui said...

Denise, that sounds frightening and like you I also wonder how stray animals take cover during stormy/rainy days.

And thank you for linking me up at TF! You even linked mine before your own! What a precious friend you are. I feel blessed to have you.

Have a warm pleasant week!

Denise said...

Thank you my friends. It's a nice part of the day to come and read your comments.

Janie said...

Really loved the first video, Denise. It's like being transported back in time.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I'm wondering if you made it over to Skyline Drive while in Charlottesville. I have passed through Charlottesville a few times but haven't had the time to stop. Looking forward to your pictures. I'm sure you are going to show me something that makes me want to drop everything and go on a weekend travel. I'm glad you got home before the storm got going!